popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Oh I forgot these three:

-Game of Thrones (honestly I'm not even sure why it's so captivating lol)

-Frisbee golf aka disc golf (played it several times, it's boring, but pretended to enjoy so not to disappoint my friends)

-Hotdogs

I don't like Dr. Who. Not just because of the fans -- the show itself is terrible!!!! I just don't see the appeal at all, I think it's borderline unwatchable. But I'm an original Star Trek lover, which is pretty campy and has its own faults so I understand that people have their preferences :) I'm just sick of being forced by friends to watch episodes of it with them...it's just so bad...

I think Dr. Who is supposed to be bad in the same way Sharknado is bad, or any B-Movie really.

I don't know why Dr. Who is successful and Firefly was cancelled but... whatever, I'm not bitter... at all...

Though Dr. Who isn't nearly as bad as The Big Bang Theory without their laugh track  is.

Oh I forgot these three:

-Game of Thrones (honestly I'm not even sure why it's so captivating lol)

-Frisbee golf aka disc golf (played it several times, it's boring, but pretended to enjoy so not to disappoint my friends)

-Hotdogs

I watched the first season of game of thrones. It was a slow start, but it got better as the season progressed. Seasons 2 and 3 have been sitting around for months, but I just haven't had the desire to watch them. I prefer the books, which I've only read 2.5 of because I have a hard time reading chapters that are from the point of view of annoying characters. I am genuinely interested in what happens to some, but others I wish would just die already (and there's a good chance of it happening eventually). I sometimes feel like the draw is the copious amounts of violence and sex rather than the actual story, so people who aren't into that will have a difficult time getting into it. That's probably why I like the books better.

Also, while I'm not sure it falls under the popular category, I really don't like the channel Syfy. There's never anything good on, mostly just cruddy B-movies. Back when the channel was called Sci-Fi, there were a lot of cool show on (Farscape, Eureka, etc) and good miniseries and movies. Plus reruns of old science fiction shows.

Edited by shadowclaw

I watched the first season of game of thrones. It was a slow start, but it got better as the season progressed. Seasons 2 and 3 have been sitting around for months, but I just haven't had the desire to watch them. I prefer the books, which I've only read 2.5 of because I have a hard time reading chapters that are from the point of view of annoying characters. I am genuinely interested in what happens to some, but others I wish would just die already (and there's a good chance of it happening eventually). I sometimes feel like the draw is the copious amounts of violence and sex rather than the actual story, so people who aren't into that will have a difficult time getting into it. That's probably why I like the books better.

Also, while I'm not sure it falls under the popular category, I really don't like the channel Syfy. There's never anything good on, mostly just cruddy B-movies. Back when the channel was called Sci-Fi, there were a lot of cool show on (Farscape, Eureka, etc) and good miniseries and movies. Plus reruns of old science fiction shows.

I did hear that the Game of Thrones books are much better than the TV series (books I might check out).

Speaking of which, 50 shades of gray seems to be a huge hit everywhere, but is the book really that good as it's acclaimed? Not sure if I'm really interested in reading that one unless someone can convince me that it is an absolute must haha...

I think Syfy's shows went downhill in the recent years, which strangely coincided with their name change from SciFi to syfy (I remember reacting "wth, seriously?!?"). I used to watch a little bit of Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth, but Ghost Hunters focused mostly on drama between those paranormal investigators and Destination Truth never found any weird creature they were looking for in any episodes (maybe except for that bigfoot episode).

Speaking of which, 50 shades of gray seems to be a huge hit everywhere, but is the book really that good as it's acclaimed? Not sure if I'm really interested in reading that one unless someone can convince me that it is an absolute must haha...

It's sex smothered brain candy.  If you read it as a light distraction read it's fine. As meaningful literature it's pretty much crap.

It's sex smothered brain candy.  If you read it as a light distraction read it's fine. As meaningful literature it's pretty much crap.

Yeah that's what I thought lol. Okay I guess I'll look for other new books to read instead

I think Dr. Who is supposed to be bad in the same way Sharknado is bad, or any B-Movie really.

I don't know why Dr. Who is successful and Firefly was cancelled but... whatever, I'm not bitter... at all...

Though Dr. Who isn't nearly as bad as The Big Bang Theory without their laugh track  is.

I don't think Doctor Who is intentionally bad.. I think it's just supposed to be lighthearted, and more invested in the story than in the special effects and such. Doctor Who is successful because it's been around for decades. It's just a new revival of something that was already popular 40 years ago. Firefly is fairly new and, although much less well-known, it's still pretty popular among most of my friends; I think it's more popular than you think. Firefly was canceled because it didn't have a cult following until after it was canceled. Somehow. 

I tried reading 50 shades, but it was so poorly written and far-fetched plot-wise (as well as making BDSM into something it's not) that it just made me laugh, especially the sex scenes. Those parts are funny, but the rest of the book is pretty yawn-worthy. Poor pacing, predictable characters, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Dr. Who, and have done so for a number of years.  The Dr. Who culture that has sprung up in the recent past, however, is getting on my nerves.  

My contribution o' the day: Super short shorts/miniskirts.  I have no desire to see the bottom of strangers buttcheeks.  I have to resist the occasional urge to approach those wearing them and say "Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude, but can you please put your ass away?"  

I tried reading 50 shades, but it was so poorly written and far-fetched plot-wise (as well as making BDSM into something it's not) that it just made me laugh, especially the sex scenes. Those parts are funny, but the rest of the book is pretty yawn-worthy. Poor pacing, predictable characters, etc.

I could not get past the fourth page, mother of all bad writing!