popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This is contradictory. You can't be for religions if you don't agree that there shouldn't be different interpretations of the bible. Every religion is comprised of hundreds of different churches and sects which all have differing beliefs on how to interpret the bible or any other religious text.

There is absolutely nothing contradictory about my statement, and I don't follow your logic. Let's pretend for a moment that I actually said that there can't be different interpretations of any religious text. Please explain how that would mean I can't be pro-religion. It doesn't make any sense. It might make me stubborn or closed-minded, but I can't see how it would invalidate my viewpoint that religion is a fine and dandy thing to have.

As for the issue of different interpretations, there is a big difference between cherry picking and having a different interpretation of something. Sure, the various Christian denominations have a few differences in interpretation. Catholics tend to view the creation story as a metaphor while protestants take it as the exact story of how the world was made. Some groups don't do mandatory tithing because the new covenant of Christ replaced the old covenant and thus abolished tithing, while others think tithing was something separate from the old covenant and it's still required. However, they do all agree on the points I previously stated regarding sin and salvation.

Cherry picking is a whole other issue. Cherry picking is saying something like it's ok for me to be a total jerk to my parents, but you're a terrible person because you lie to people and that goes against God's commandments. We're both violating a commandment, but I'm choosing to ignore one because it makes me feel better about myself or helps me justify my behavior. Another example could be someone who is cheating on their spouse but is very vocal about how terrible it is that somebody got pregnant before they were married and that they're living in sin.

That is what is meant by cherry picking. Yeah, there are lots of people who don't agree with all parts of their religion or think that their religious text is out-dated, and that's fine. But once you start doing that, you lose the ability to back up your behaviors and beliefs with your holy text. Besides, if you disagree with the core beliefs of your religion (such as what I previously mentioned regarding sin and salvation for Christians), then you really aren't following it anymore.

Edited by shadowclaw

I agree with you Shadowclaw.  I don't think there is anything wrong with recognizing something as a sin, but hating someone because they sin differently than you is antithetical to the Bible.  If you take it as a whole, you realize that everyone has sinned, and God loves you despite your sin, so going around hating other people for theirs would be very unchristlike.  People don't hate because the Bible tells them to.  They justify their hate by using the Bible. 

I have no problem with choosing what makes sense to you out of a very old book and following that.

I do have a problem with telling other people how to live their lives regarding broken "rules" that i) don't affect you, and ii) aren't hurting anyone else. On that front, I don't care if the person lives according to his faith perfectly or not. So the issue for me isn't cherry picking/hypocrisy, but minding one's own business.

Edited by Page228

Thinking intellectualism means believing exactly like you do on every issue.  I've read so many news stories that start out good.  America has a problem with intellectualism. Yes!  I agree 100%

But then the writer goes on to explain how everyone who doesn't agree with them on their pet issues are stupid anti-intellectuals, and those who agree with them are smart.  No, no no!  All that proves is that some people have been indoctrinated correctly, and others have been indoctrinated incorrectly.  Intellectualism has to do with how you think about an issue. Critical thinking.  Looking at the evidence.  Considering biases.  You aren't always going to come to the same conclusion as someone else, but that is ok.  Intellectualism isn't about getting the right answers, but asking the right questions.  Don't get me wrong, getting the right answer is important, but it isn't the end-all be-all.

For example, I hate math.  But I love it too because it is analogous to life.  Why did my math professors make me answer math questions that they already had the answers to?  Because some day, I may come across a math problem and not have my math professor there, and I need to understand the logic behand math so I can answer the question myself... But I digress.

Maybe this should have been in the rant section.

1) The Marvel Movies Franchise

They have no real substance and are there to rake in cash and everyone just eats it up.

2) The Kardashians 

I am tired of seeing Kim's posterior plastered all over the internet once every month.

3) The Hunger Games Series /YA Fiction in General 

In my experience it is pretty much the same tripe over and over again that is merely repackaged in order to make money.

5) Niki Minaj

I just don't think she is that talented.

• 2 months later...

Back-Packing: If I wanted to be sweaty and uncomfortable I can just do that at home for free

Coffee Shops: Most of the time the coffee is overpriced and I never enjoy it

Friends: I never thought it was funny

Black "Granite": No that's most likely gabbro, granite is a felsic igenous rock 

The term "I'm a nice guy/person!" : No if you were a nice person then you wouldn't have to proclaim it and you are most likely a jerk

And finally hacky sack: I think it's dumb to sit around in a circle and try to hit a tiny bean sack

• 1 year later...

In honor of the eight sticky seasons of Duck Dynasty someone just checked in, I'm going to go ahead and add it to my list of popular things I hate. Of course they would be returned sticky. To expect otherwise would be nve. Also as much as I find their characters repulsive, it would be at least tolerable if they were not so obviously faking it for the money. Why is it filed under non-fiction?! They are acting; these are not their real personalities.