popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Oh, here's another: Pho.

*Gasp* I love pho! I could live on pho!

Now, I grew up eating pho, so I can understand why some people don't like it. But, to me, it is a yummy bowl of savory, sweet, sour, and spicy goodness. I'm kind of on a quest to find the perfect bowl of pho. The closest I've come so far is a small Vietnamese restaurant in Lake Tahoe. Maybe it was the water they used, or the high elevation, but somehow they made it so good... and nothing I've had has come close. There are many ways a bowl of pho can go wrong--too greasy, not enough flavor, too cold, dry limes (I hate it when they give you dry slices of lime), limp noodles, etc.--but when you've had a near perfect bowl, you'll keep wanting more! 

8) Salted rims on margaritas

I love salted rims on margaritas!

What I don't love is a former colleague who would take pictures of herself licking the salted rim on a margarita (umm, yeah, she posed with her tongue on the glass). First, gross. Second, do you really think that's attractive? Third, is this supposed to make people think you're "fun"? Just enjoy the darn drink!

In no particular order:

1)big bang theory (HATE this and although I try not to judge people who think this is funny/witty…I can't help it :-/ )

2)the majority of modern rap music (I wanna be a billionaire so freakin bad…really? that is a song?)

3)vera bradley (just not my style)

4)dogs that jump all over me (you're cute but just ripped a hole in my new leggings thanks)

5)the phrase YOLO 

6)snapchat 

7)beyonce 

8)super sweet drinks in those giant souvenir cups like the hurricane in new orleans or daiquiris. (they make me queasy)

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Because you don't like the taste or because you don't like the idea/look of the salted rim? I ask that because it does serve quite a practical purpose. Also, since you mentioned you don't like tequila, I'd imagine you don't like much anything about margaritas. Anyway, salted rims actual have a useful purpose in margaritas. The guava tequila and fruit flavors in the margarita give it an overwhelmingly sweet taste. The salt does a good job counteracting that. It's really a great combination. It isn't just for aesthetic purposes. I was just wondering what particular reason you hate salted rims. Now, I've seen salted rims on Bloody Marys and that doesn't serve much of a purpose since the drink is already heavily acidic. 

Because you don't like the taste or because you don't like the idea/look of the salted rim? I ask that because it does serve quite a practical purpose. Also, since you mentioned you don't like tequila, I'd imagine you don't like much anything about margaritas. Anyway, salted rims actual have a useful purpose in margaritas. The guava tequila and fruit flavors in the margarita give it an overwhelmingly sweet taste. The salt does a good job counteracting that. It's really a great combination. It isn't just for aesthetic purposes. I was just wondering what particular reason you hate salted rims. Now, I've seen salted rims on Bloody Marys and that doesn't serve much of a purpose since the drink is already heavily acidic.

You're right - I don't like much anything about margaritas...we have a traumatic past - the smell/sight of a salted rim makes me queezey.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

You're right - I don't like much anything about margaritas...we have a traumatic past - the smell/sight of a salted rim makes me queezey.

What do you like to drink? If you're into sweet stuff, I started drinking whiskey sours with Jameson. Much different from your typical whiskey sour with bourbon. Or nothing wrong with a beer and a shot.

What do you like to drink? If you're into sweet stuff, I started drinking whiskey sours with Jameson. Much different from your typical whiskey sour with bourbon. Or nothing wrong with a beer and a shot.

I've only had one whiskey sour, but I really liked it. I just got into liquors - I like scotch, rye whiskey, bourbon, and pisco (ever had it?).

I LOVE beer, especially dark beer (stouts, double IPA).

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I've only had one whiskey sour, but I really liked it. I just got into liquors - I like scotch, rye whiskey, bourbon, and pisco (ever had it?).

I LOVE beer, especially dark beer (stouts, double IPA).

Yeah, I've had pisco. I've been drinking regularly since I was 11 years old. I started off on malt liquors. Steel Reserve 211 is something that few alcohol drinkers can handle. I was drinking this in middle school. By high school I was drinking 151 and Everclear. When I was about 19-20 I started refining my tastes and trying to taste different alcohols. That's when I upgraded from cheap beer like Budweiser to craft beers and popular ales like Guinness. I started drinking liquors straight up (gin, whiskey, bourbon, moonshine). And the past few years I've been experimenting with different cocktails (martinis, margarita, Bloody Marys, whiskey sours). 

Tolkien (I feel like a bad nerd, but his books are boooooooring to me)

New York (Super, super overrated, and I live here)

Lady Gaga (seriously?  Her music all sounds the same, and it sucks, and there's nothing artsy about the weird stuff she does)

I love it when my friends do this to my drink! We, the cherry-appreciators, are grateful. ;D

Glad we cherry-haters could be of assistance!

What!? The best part. Do you prefer sugar rims?

Gnome, I don't mean this as a slight to you, especially since you're not trying to belittle anyone else in your post, and you're just mentioning what you like to drink... but your post reminded me about something I absolutely hate that many people I met in undergrad do:

Brag about how much more they can drink than other people.

I mean, seriously? It's the dumbest thing to be elitist about! I could go on about why I think it's silly, but this isn't the venting thread. :P

Edited by PhDerp

My housemate hates ranch dressing and sour cream (I don't!)!

I love that that's significant enough to post from 2 degrees of separation from the forum. LOL I agree, ranch dressing seems to be a very popular thing!

It's big in Seattle. I had it my last two times there because you can't find it anywhere down here in Miami. To be honest, there's nothing special about it. I usually get the meat combo one. The broth is flavorless and the meat usually has no flavor. There's really no flavor to it. Sure, if you load up on meat it can fill you up, but that doesn't mean it tastes good. I guess that's why people saturate it with siracha. 

if the broth is flavorless, then it wasn't made properly. a lot of spices should go into the beef one and the beef bones should have been simmered for a long time...

anywho, my list: 

drinking till drunk (why drink to the point when you start puking?? your body is clearly telling you it doesn't want to be intoxicated and hard liquor tastes terrible)

phrases: YOLO, hella, you know (no, I DON'T know what you're referring to actually)

blue cheese

rainbow flip flops (overpriced!)

many trends amongst the tweens

Edited by soylatte5

Guest Gnome Chomsky

if the broth is flavorless, then it wasn't made properly. a lot of spices should go into the beef one and the beef bones should have been simmered for a long time...

anywho, my list: 

drinking till drunk (why drink to the point when you start puking?? your body is clearly telling you it doesn't want to be intoxicated and hard liquor tastes terrible)

phrases: YOLO, hella, you know (no, I DON'T know what you're referring to actually)

blue cheese

rainbow flip flops (overpriced!)

many trends amongst the tweens

You're assuming everyone pukes when they're drunk.

You're assuming everyone pukes when they're drunk.

Jumping on this train. If you're puking, you are beyond drunk and likely have alcohol poisoning.  But I understand what soylatte5 is getting at, I also never understood the draw of being intoxicated at that level.

Olives

Arugula

Beets

Yogurt

Black licorice/Anise/Caraway seeds/Fennel (or anything that tastes like any of that)

Super hoppy beers (i.e. IPAs)

Horror movies (suspense is fine but gore... ugh)

Family Guy (NOT funny!)
California weather (i.e. sun)
Edited by CageFree