Nonresponses contribute to my unbridled rage!!

Guest Squirrely

Guest Squirrely

Why?? Why is it so difficult to just reject me and let me get on with my life? Yes, I am aware that if it is April 18th and I have yet to hear anything from your department that I am a no-go, but why can't you just have some respect for the process and let me take my blow and carry on with my life? I paid $60--why can't 6 cents of that go to pay someone to write me a one-line e-mail?

Me too.. two no responses. At this point I feel I deserve a singing telegram.

*barber shop quartet enters*

We had lots of great applicants this year,

But you didn't make it my dear,

We hope you do well,

we're sorry as hell,

but you should have nothing to fear.

gooood luck in schooool! (hands shaking)

I feel your pain - I got one (email) rejection on Friday and FINALLY got accepted (my one and only acceptance...) to a masters program on Monday. WHY do they have to wait so long! agh!

Guest NotReadyToHangMyself:)

I got into my backup school. Rejected everywhere else, still waiting to hear from my dream school. I suppose that's a good sign, but the graduate secretary seems to be in the dark about all this (she is FULL OF SHIT, I KNOW IT!!!). \

I WANT TO KILZZZZZZZZZZZZ DEM! :evil:

Grrr...but maybe they really don't know? I called NYU last week and they hadn't made a decision...then they put me into their MA program instead of the PhD program...maybe I called and bugged them too much.

Guest guest

I got into one... but then I have another one pending and haven't heard a word from them after their online appstat said ur app is being reviewed... !! mailing them served no purpose and from the results section of this site, I haven't notice anyone yet with a result from ECE, Gatech (Int'l student).. PhD program....

When will my application be checked ?? I paid the fees, now can I have some action ??? Irrespective of the outcome, the wait is painfully painful :(

i wrote to one school and asked for my application fee back. i got five offers including my top choice, which i accepted. i wouldn't have accepted this school's offer in the end anyway. so i wasn't acting from a place of desperation (though i sure understnad the desperation this whole process causes), just trying to get the point across that there are human beings attached to the applications and the $50 checks they get to keep. the least we can expect is a response. (not holding my breath for my money, btw, but it felt good!)

Guest Squirrely

And, just to add to the rant, it is NOT that I am strung out from being rejected by my lover-school----this was my least favorite school. I just want a response---something to show that they understand that there are real people stirring behind these applications--that people put their futures into these committees's hands. All I want at this point is recognition that I exist--and even if I don't count for much in thir eyes, knowledge that they at least recognize my attempt to get their attention. I want something to show for all of the effort and money I put in--even if it is a crappy 2 line "thanks, but no thanks."

• 10 months later...

AND I FLIPPED THEM OFF....

WHYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

still waiting on Mcgills, NYU, UC Irvine....

oh and the schools i got in? NO FUNDING. WHY? BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO FUND ENGLISH MAJORS TO DO ANYTHING!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I applied to NYU for MPH, haven't heard from them yet. Everyday I come back home from work.. the first thing I do is check my email; I have to say that the wait is a psychological torture.

It might be worse if they decide to inform me their decision via snail mail. I'm an int. so I would have to wait extra long for the freaking letter to arrive.

Someobody shoot me... (and pliz do revive later me in case I'm accepted, haha)

When I applied to grad school a few years ago some departments had limited funding and only provided as many accepts as they had money students to support, and had to wait until they heard from that list before they could make more offers to their "wait-listed" candidates (I use quotes because they didn't even call it that, I personally called and talked to one of my interviewers and he gave me some honest info on the situation). It sucks for you to be in this situation, but it also is tough for the school because their best candidates are the ones they made offers to (and who are most likely looking at and accepted at equal and better instituations) and who are potentially less like to actually enroll, while people who really want to enroll at the school don't have an offer and end up going somewhere else in the interim because they're not willing to risk waiting.

March 26 and I still haven't heard from 4 schools - half of those I applied to! I got accepted to two schools I really like, but with no money, so I really want to know if I'll get any money from the other four before I decide. Everyday my sole existence revolves around checking my email every hour and the high point of my day is walking to my mailbox to see if there is any news. At this point, I don't care if every one of those four schools rejects me, I really just want some sign that they've looked at my application, if only just to throw it in the trash! I'm terrified of not hearing anything even into April, then 3-4 weeks of my life will have been spent in agony waiting for responses! Most of my friends applying to grad school have already heard back from all of their schools. I just keep blaming it on the fact that I'm applying to English programs, so they probably have lots of applicants. Oh well, I suppose they have to let me know at some point, although sooner would be much preferred over later!

March 27 and I havent heard from 4 schools. Ive been accepted to one, but so far with no aid, so Im asking for another review...The only schools Ive heard back from are the ones I applied to last! I applied to 3 before Jan1st, and still no response...Im sorry, but if you claim to have an admissions committee, they should be held accountable like any other job. That would mean: replying to all applicants w/in the promised time (or at all)!

Im sorry for yelling...

I'm still waiting on two schools (English). Temple told me three weeks ago that I'd have the results in 2-3 weeks. I e-mailed them yesterday and still have not received a response. UMass has me on the waitlist, but will not e-mail me back telling me where I'm at on the list. I've been accepted to University of Washington (w/out funding of course) and to the University of Rochester's MA program (with half funding). However, half funding at U of R = one year at UW (where I'd rather go). And I agree with OPTIMISTIC...the highlight of my day is checking my mail..or having my parents check it and call me at work. I hit the refresh button on my e-mail page every 12 minutes at work. I'm going insane. I really am.

I was actually wondering the same thing. The only reason I'm waiting to hear from my remaining schools is to see if they will give me money. If not, I don't think I really want to go to any of them. Hmm...hopefully they're just a little slow and its really good news.

Will I look too desperate if I email the program about my application? They say that by April 15th, all candidates will be notified of the committee decisions. I cant stand two and half weeks more of obsessive email checking and anxiety whenever I go pick up my mail (hoping for a thick purple envelope).

I think what a lot of people have been doing is just calling or emailing with a vague, polite question about when you can expect to hear more about your application. They usually will let you know what the decision was on your app if it's already been made.
That's what I've been doing. It's worked for everyone but UMass. They're just rude in that office. They finally sent over a mass e-mail to me and 44 other people telling us that we're on the waitlist. When I e-mailed to ask where I was positioned on the list, I received no response.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use