Fall 2015 Applicants

oh sorry team, I was speaking purely about the sociocultural. No idea about the rest. Didn't mean to be misleading.

The admitted students were notified and invited to a visit day the first weekend in March. I'm on the waitlist and asked for more info about it. So for sociocultural, I know that the admits for sure know who they are. I guess if waitlist people dropped out then theoretically other people might get on the waitlist? I dunno, I didn't ask to that level of detail.

There's a post that just went up on the results page about updating missing test scores or something....so I guess if your application was incomplete then maybe it's a different story? That was a confusing post. Can't speak to that.

Awesome! Congrats!

Can you share any details at all for the rest of us poor saps waiting to hear?

First off, THANKS GUYS!!!!!!! It warms my cold, dead heart to see so many people excited for me.

Second, apologies for not replying to you sooner, marxistglue, but I began partying my eyebrows off as soon as I got off the phone yesterday and forgot how to computer.

All I know is that decisions HAVE been made; my POI said the process was intense and admissions were extremely competitive this year, and indicated that "the cohort this year is amazing". So if you receive an acceptance know that the admissions committee thinks you're hot shit, first of all. He also told me that this was an "unofficial" acceptance because the college needs to take a final look at the committee's picks, but that this was really an administrative formality and that paperwork was on its way. I think he was calling me because he's my POI and that's what he wanted to do, not because everyone was calling their students yet. Judging by the admissions results from last year I'm guessing I just got an early preview and that everyone else should hear next week (unless your POI also wants to call you).

Other than that I got nothing! I am SO excited to be moving to Amherst, though I think (from the OBSESSIVE research I've been doing which was luckily NOT in vain) that I want to live in Northampton. I'll have to learn how weather works, but it's a challenge I'm willing to take on :) 

All I know is that decisions HAVE been made

Yay, Faulty! That means all decisions, as it is a four field program, right? So the whole shabang?

ALSO! Northampton is incredible, but it might be cheaper to live a bit nearby. My sister lives there and she loves it. I visit a lot -- super cute, lots of cafes and bookstores. It's got it all. 

Yay, Faulty! That means all decisions, as it is a four field program, right? So the whole shabang?

Yes, all decisions have been made, they just need to filter through the college itself. So I don't think anybody else has necessarily been notified yet, but official announcements will probably be either next week or the first few days of March, at the latest. My spire page is still saying "applied", so I'd never have known yet if he hadn't called me.

NoHo is awesome but the commute can be a pain, especially if you plan on taking the bus.  If you are looking for reasonable prices, look at listings in North Amherst and Hadley (the little town wedged between Amherst and NoHo).  If you want super super cheap rent, look at Cliffside and other apt complexes in Sunderland - it's a ~20 minute drive from campus and can be a bit sketchy but rents can run as low as 450 a month in some cases.  Overall, anything in North Amherst, especially along Pine Street, will give you a good combination of affordability and proximity to campus.

Whatever you do AVOID PUFFTON - it's right next to campus but it's the go to off campus housing for rowdy undergrads and can turn into a complete shitshow on weekends.  Also, the on campus grad student housing in Sylvan is really depressing so avoid that whole area like the plague.

Faulty,

You can always just join a squat over at Hampshire. Great CSA and all the privileged young idealogues you can shake a Macbook at.

COngrats though, for real it really is a wonderful part of the world.

Oh no, here we go again.  People are getting 'you've made the first cut' emails from CUNY and others are getting rejections, and I haven't heard anything.  It's better than a rejection, I guess, but apparently I make adcomms really conflicted?

Has Yale decided that all its acceptances will come from the January interviewees?

Is Irvine done with acceptances? There were a lot of offers already on the results board. I'm trying to get my list down to the programs where I still have a chance so I can relax.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have had that response, and apparently also they are not sure how many have been sent out"because of the snow". But presumably they don't send out acceptances via postal service? If anyone knows anything about what is going on please post!

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have had that response, and apparently also they are not sure how many have been sent out"because of the snow". But presumably they don't send out acceptances via postal service? If anyone knows anything about what is going on please post!

A friend of mine got an acceptance email from Harvard a week ago. But I have no idea why no one posted on the results page. maybe none of them are gradcafe people? idk.

A friend of mine got an acceptance email from Harvard a week ago. But I have no idea why no one posted on the results page. maybe none of them are gradcafe people? idk.

Thanks for letting me know. Do you know what sub-field? I guess this means I'm out. My POI isn't replying to me with my application status even though I had an interview...

Thanks for letting me know. Do you know what sub-field? I guess this means I'm out. My POI isn't replying to me with my application status even though I had an interview...

So you had an interview a while back? Why is it that Harvard says on their website that they "do not conduct formal interviews"? "Formal" "informal" psshh.

So you had an interview a while back? Why is it that Harvard says on their website that they "do not conduct formal interviews"? "Formal" "informal" psshh.

Yeah around 3 weeks ago. I know, so irritating.