Fall 2015 Applicants

Also, to this poster from the results board:

• F*&% you Columbia, and your archaic windswept halls of exotica.

You made me laugh so hard that coffee came out of my nose at work and I'm mad at you.

Edited by FaultyPowers

I don't know if anyone applied to Binghamton. I couldn't wait any longer and called the anthro department. They still haven't made solid decisions yet. The lady said they are almost done making final decisions then it has to go through the graduate school. blah. I can't wait any longer!!

Alright, I have had it with the cone of silence. Other than my acceptance (woo!) I haven't heard a single thing from any of my applications. It would take a fortune in funding for me to turn down my current offer, so I figure I have nothing to lose. I've emailed my POI at OSU and asked what my status is, and I'm going to be emailing everyone else as well, either POIs or Grad Coordinators. February 24th is too damn late! Especially for OSU, because that application was due (for fellowship consideration) November 19th!

I know that UMass HAS made final decisions; mine is the only result up there so either you guys who've applied have gotten in and just haven't heard yet, or I'm the only admit on gradcafe. 

I know that Boston U has made final decisions and has only admitted 2 people to the Archaeology department (I have no idea about the Anthropology department) and I noticed that there's an admit on the results board, so I'm guessing those 2 have already been notified and it's a no for everyone else. I also know that Cornell only admitted 6 people, so I'm guessing that's also a no for everyone else, based on the results board. UNLV has apparently made decisions but it looks like it might be the same deal with them that it is with UMass; either you've gotten in but haven't been notified or all the admits have been notified and only one of them is on gradcafe.

February 24th is too damn late!

I'm with you on this! I haven't heard anything from UMass and it is giving me so much anxiety! I don't see any posts on the results board either. Did you post on there?

Also congrats on UNLV! That's awesome!

THANK YOU!!!!

And I did list my UMass decision. I listed it as UMass, rather than University of Massachusetts, so that may be why you don't see it. Statistically it just seems too unlikely that I'm the ONLY one of us who got in though, so I'm guessing I'm just the only one who's been notified.

Edited by FaultyPowers

THANK YOU!!!!

And I did list my UMass decision. I listed it as UMass, rather than University of Massachusetts, so that may be why you don't see it. Statistically it just seems too unlikely that I'm the ONLY one of us who got in though, so I'm guessing I'm just the only one who's been notified.

Yeah I'm hoping that's the case. Is your SPIRE still showing 'applied'? If so, then the remainder of the applicants have probably not been notified yet.

Got home to a waitlist decision for UCLA, which is better than a rejection, I guess...

There are just too many acceptances appearing now to keep up with, so I will just say "WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!" for everybody!  It's so great to see folks getting into programs they love after so much hard work!   :D

Hopefully you will all laugh at this:

As a current Peace Corps volunteer, most graduate schools offered me application fee waivers to apply. This allowed me to dramatically cut down application costs, and I thought it prudent to apply to a wide range of programs for medical anthropology (12).

I was enamored with all of the programs to which I applied, including Northwestern's department. Unfortunately, I named a non-tenure-track faculty member as a POI, one who is not responsible for mentoring students. She was the only POI I listed. This demonstration of myopic decision-making may have been due to some residual malaria acutely affecting my brain at the moment I was deciding with whom I could work, or maybe the lack of electricity in this remote village prevented me from looking myself in the mirror and reminding myself that I am not more powerful than the admissions committee.

To be honest, this f@*# up just made me smile and I hope it cracked you up too! Northwestern was a reach, but damn, that was a boneheaded move!

Also, just received word from Duke POI that I didn't make the shortlist. 160 applicants for 4 spots.

Does anyone happen to know how many spots are available at the Cotsen Institute at UCLA?  I don't know where I am on the waitlist, but if there are, say, two spots, I'm sure I won't get in, whereas if there are more I might still have a chance...   ;)

Got home to a waitlist decision for UCLA, which is better than a rejection, I guess...

There are just too many acceptances appearing now to keep up with, so I will just say "WOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!" for everybody!  It's so great to see folks getting into programs they love after so much hard work!   :D

Glad to hear this!  UCLA is one of my top 3.   :wub:   Mayyyyyyyyybe, just mayyyyyyyybe, I have not yet been rejected?   ;)

On the bright side, if I have been rejected, making a decision as to where to go will be so much easier.

ArchaeoGeek, same here! Just checked my email and I'm on the waitlist too. We'll see in a month or so what happens I guess...Best of luck to everyone!

So.... there are acceptances, waitlists, and rejections posted for UCLA. But I got nothin.

I think someone needs to teach graduate programs what the phrase 'process of elimination' entails...... if you didn't waitlist me or accept me SET ME FREE 

if you didn't waitlist me or accept me SET ME FREE 

This needs to be on a motivational poster, or better yet, a pair of promotional sweatpants and a bottle of whiskey sent by ETS after you give them all your money. Matching set.

As for UMass, if I check Spire one more time I think it might take out a restraining order against me. 

Historically Yale results come in over the next couple of days, so keep your fingers crossed! 

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Wellll...no notification might be a good sign. Because my UMass account AND my UNLV account are both still saying pending and I know they're both acceptances. I checked UNLV again specifically because people were posting that they'd seen rejection notifications and I still don't have an update.

Edited by FaultyPowers

This needs to be on a motivational poster, or better yet, a pair of promotional sweatpants and a bottle of whiskey sent by ETS after you give them all your money. Matching set.

I want both of those things immediately. 

As for UMass, if I check Spire one more time I think it might take out a restraining order against me. 

Historically Yale results come in over the next couple of days, so keep your fingers crossed! 

Seriously. I'm in the same boat re: SPIRE

I've checked it at least three times this morning. To make my obsessive checking worse, last year they released decisions on the last Wednesday of February (today) so my obsession has grown!

Does anyone happen to know how many spots are available at the Cotsen Institute at UCLA?  I don't know where I am on the waitlist, but if there are, say, two spots, I'm sure I won't get in, whereas if there are more I might still have a chance...   ;)

I believe the Cotsen Institute made 6 offers this year! I know some of the people who got offers and who are still considering their options. Some programs are not done interviewing applicants, so things may take a while to move. Congrats on being wait-listed! I hope you'll get good news soon. 

I just realized my application to Columbia was never complete, because ETS didn't send my GRE and TOEFL results! I can't believe it! 

What am I supposed to do? Will I get at least my money back? Do guys know about anybody in a similar situation? I wanna kill someone right now :(

I just realized my application to Columbia was never complete, because ETS didn't send my GRE and TOEFL results! I can't believe it!

What am I supposed to do? Will I get at least my money back? Do guys know about anybody in a similar situation? I wanna kill someone right now :(

Write ETS and launch a formal complaint with their complaint department. I've struggled to get my refund for a missed GRE (due to circumstances out of my control), but ETS finally relented. It's doable, but it will take some effort.

I'm terribly sorry about that unfortunate situation. Get your money back from ETS!

Write ETS and launch a formal complaint with their complaint department. I've struggled to get my refund for a missed GRE (due to circumstances out of my control), but ETS finally relented. It's doable, but it will take some effort.

I'm terribly sorry about that unfortunate situation. Get your money back from ETS!

Thanks, I'm going to do that! It's more about the responsibility than about the money, but the least they can do is pay...

That's.... what a disaster... I don't know how to say to you. I'm really sorry for your devastating situation.

Hope something good would happen consoling enough for you.

And of course I'm blaming myself for not checking before on that :(

Well, at least I'll will have the slight satisfaction of getting that rejection without pain anymore knowing that I could've had a chance hahaha ("laugh and cries")