Fall 2015 Applicants

Does anyone know anything about Cultural Anthroplogy Yale right now or know anything about their process? I'm super bummed because I got rejected 6/8 places and I'm pretty sure Stanford is a no as well. But my POI from Yale said they were interested in my app, I replied but they never got back to me. I really have no idea what to do next.

I emailed Yale yesterday and a professor in the department forwarded my email to the chair, but I haven't received a response yet.

The positive response from your POI is great news though! I haven't contacted my POI there and I'm afraid to bother her at this point. Maybe I should inquire. I think news will come soon though.

Does anyone know anything about Cultural Anthroplogy Yale right now or know anything about their process? I'm super bummed because I got rejected 6/8 places and I'm pretty sure Stanford is a no as well. But my POI from Yale said they were interested in my app, I replied but they never got back to me. I really have no idea what to do next.

Sociocultural at Yale had some interviews a few weeks back. I had two interviews on Feb 9 and 10, and this morning (well, 6:30pm EST) I just received an email from a POI at Yale notifying me of admission, with a formal letter to come. In her email she mentioned that I had probably heard from one of my other POIs by now (though, I haven't), so I think that means their decisions have been made and professors have been cleared to make contact if they want. My impression is that some schools let POIs get a jump on contacting people, while others don't allow contact between the decision-making period and official notification. Yale seems to operate like the former.

Not sure if that's good or bad news, but it's news so I hope it helps...

Good luck to all!

To anyone whose posted something about UCLA:

I'm seeing people on the results board saying they got an email to check the website.  I haven't gotten anything from UCLA yet.  I tried checking the online application, but I can't find anything anywhere that reveals your admissions status.  What website are you guys talking about?

It's a funny feeling to watch acceptances come in from Columbia, hoping to receive one with no avail, only to watch rejections come in a few days later and finding yourself now wanting one of those, just for some kind of closure. Oh, poor brain.

On a somewhat happier note, I'm waitlisted for Harvard. Which is a way better result than I ever could have expected from them. And yet, at the same time, torture.

Yeah, I am in exactly the same boat. It probably only means that their system is slow and whatever and that we will get our rejections soon enough but, annoyingly, it leaves this vague glimmer of hope. Oh life!

To anyone whose posted something about UCLA:

I'm seeing people on the results board saying they got an email to check the website.  I haven't gotten anything from UCLA yet.  I tried checking the online application, but I can't find anything anywhere that reveals your admissions status.  What website are you guys talking about?

UCLA Graduate Division decision status page. It's the same page I've been checking for ages, and I honestly checked it about fifteen minutes before I got the email and there was still nothing there. Got the email and the decision was up, so you just have to hold tight and wait (looks like they've been rolling out decisions over the last week or so...obnoxious).

I don't have any background in anthro so I'm considering just going for an MA but they are tragically unfunded--what do you guys think? Is it worth it to pile up 50K+ loans for an MA in anthro just because you want to go back to school and engage the scholarly environment directly and perhaps figure out if you actually want to go the doctoral route? Or is one better off sticking to their brain-dead job and just reading/learning on their own? 

Uggghhhh. 

Congrats to everyone who was admitted this cycle:) 

Two acceptances on the results search for Yale, dated today…. I'm bio, but I know the dept there makes decisions all together within a single meeting and so bio people should be hearing back too. 

I'm pretty sure these last two schools of mine will both give me yeas or nays today, which makes getting through the day (at only 10 am right now) ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

Congrats to the two Yale acceptances and everyone else's acceptances so far!

Edited by eastcoastprimate

I don't have any background in anthro so I'm considering just going for an MA but they are tragically unfunded--what do you guys think? Is it worth it to pile up 50K+ loans for an MA in anthro just because you want to go back to school and engage the scholarly environment directly and perhaps figure out if you actually want to go the doctoral route? Or is one better off sticking to their brain-dead job and just reading/learning on their own? 

Uggghhhh. 

Congrats to everyone who was admitted this cycle:) 

I have a background in Anthro (I'm finishing up my BA this semester), and honestly, I'm going for the MA. While it's true that there are people out there who are indeed read for the PhD plunge, I don't want to jump completely into the grad school pool and then realize I hate it (I don't think this will be the case, but I'm just be careful), and I also worry that, despite trying my hardest in my undergrad, I'm not completely ready for full-on, PhD-level grad school. I want to get acclimated to the academic climate first.

I applied to a few PhD programs just to see what might happen, but my top program of choice was UChicago's MA program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS, as it's commonly referred). On one hand, it is pretty pricey (around 50k). This has caused some people to label it a 'cash cow' (that's the term that it is almost universally called by detractors), but really, what MA degree isn't? Despite the price, it's a single year, has an AMAZING track record for placing its students in (really good, might I add) PhD programs, and they often offer pretty decent scholarships (ranging from 1/3 tuition to a full tuition break). It's also really interesting because you can study anthropology, psychology, sociology, or politial science. I plan on taking mostly anthropology courses, with a few sociology class thrown in. For me, this will be really useful in seeing into which discipline my research best fits (I want to ethnographically study Wikipedia and other Internet sites).

However, that's just one of the many MA programs across the world.

I guess it really depends on what you feel you're ready for. Are you ready for a PhD? Then go for it. Are you a little rusty, unsure of what you want to do, or lacking in the background? I'd say go for a MA and get acclimated first. With that being said, I completely understand your uncomfortableness with going 50k into debt. My advice is to go where a) it's a good fit and b ) they give you the most money/opportunities to make money. Just my two thoughts.

Edited by GunterFan

Guys I finally got notified of my official acceptance to Berkeley online, which included my official acceptance letter! SUPER EXCITED! Can't wait to visit. Hopefully this means some others on this board will be hearing news of their acceptance as well!  :lol:

Hey folks -- just checked Harvard's ApplyYourself portal and my decision was up. It was relatively clear what was coming; I'm just glad the hand-wringing is over. 

Let's go round 2!

Just got a call from NAU and got accepted in their MA program! I guess they are meeting next week about funding. He said there wasn't a lot but I could minimally get a tuition waiver so that's pretty good (especially since it is a terminal MA program). If I go there I'll be back here in 2017 for the PhD applications!

WOW congrats on the Yale and Berkeley offers! Very happy for you guys!  

Just accepted my offer from Notre Dame University

Congrats Daisy123!!  That's awesome!   :D

Who is the other Binghamton PhD acceptance??

I'm one of them! I'm honestly very surprised I got more than one acceptance, but I'm not complaining.  :D I think they made at least seven offers, so I'd think there might a few other people around here who got in. 

I'm one of them! I'm honestly very surprised I got more than one acceptance, but I'm not complaining.  :D I think they made at least seven offers, so I'd think there might a few other people around here who got in.

Was funding mentioned in your email?