Fall 2015 Applicants

Anyone applied to UVA? I've asked this question a few times, but I'm hoping to catch someone who's missed my previous posts.

I applied to UVA, and I STILL haven't heard anything yet! They're notoriously bad at giving people a time table....Have you heard anything?

Thank you Solala, still haven't heard anything but I guess I'll just have to keep waiting...Is anyone here applying to the NYU masters program too? Anyone know when they usually send out notices? 

I applied to UVA, and I STILL haven't heard anything yet! They're notoriously bad at giving people a time table....Have you heard anything?

I emailed the professor who interviewed me a few months ago, and he told me that my application had passed several rounds of elimination and that I am under serious consideration. He didn't say when the process would be complete or when the department would issue acceptances.

I assume that since you have heard nothing, your application is also still under serious consideration.

Does anybody have any idea why the Duke Cultural Anthropology decisions are taking so long?  It sounds like it's much later than they ever anticipated, since the website says they usually invite admitted applicants for a visit in March.  March is almost over!

Does anybody have any idea why the Duke Cultural Anthropology decisions are taking so long?  It sounds like it's much later than they ever anticipated, since the website says they usually invite admitted applicants for a visit in March.  March is almost over!

Hey meglet,

From a friend who is currently enrolled in Duke's cult. Anthro phd program I learnt that in the last years they sent the rejections but since there were spots rejected by the first admits and they could not fill them with the waitlisted applicants they sent acceptances to once rejected students. Probably they want to avoid such problems. Apparently they have a problem with their admissions system and it sounds quite awkward. I recently saw on the results board that someone is waitlisted 2-3 days ago for duke's program.

I called the department contact person last Thursday, and they haven't called me back.  I called the Grad school, they called me back, and said that the department was holding off on certain decisions and couldn't tell me anything.  Hmmm...

Have any of the UCLA waitlist people heard news from their respective POIs? Or from the department? I know the email said "end of March, beginning of April" so I guess we'll be informed soon..?

Still waiting to hear something...anything...  :/

Any news from Upenn?  :blink:

POI met me in person telling me "it was not a good news..." and it seems accepted students (at least first round) have been notified. I don't know what's taking them so long this year :/

Oh man, now I'm not sure what to do. I just got the email saying I've received the NSF graduate research fellowship, but UCLA still has me on their indefinite waitlist. 

I feel like I'm on a boat, I get excited, then I get sick realizing I could still loose it all haha...

Contact them to "update your application materials" and let them know you were awarded the NSF. It's a significant enough award that it won't seem like you are pressing them with a useless update.

Oh man, now I'm not sure what to do. I just got the email saying I've received the NSF graduate research fellowship, but UCLA still has me on their indefinite waitlist. 

I feel like I'm on a boat, I get excited, then I get sick realizing I could still loose it all haha...

Let them know. Without the funding commitment, you're likely to get off the waitlist quickly.

In unrelated news, is anyone SUPER annoyed at Penn? I paid an application fee! Pay me back with a robot rejection letter before I get too old to care.

To the poster on the results board who asked about UVA: how did you know today was "the deadline?"

I'm still waiting on a decision too.

Deadline? I have never heard anything from them about yesterday being a deadline? 

Deadline? I have never heard anything from them about yesterday being a deadline?

Neither did I until I saw that posting on the results board asking about it. It's irrelevant, as its April 2 and UVA has decided to go "off the grid" for some ridiculous reason.

For what it's worth, I was the one anthro PhD who posted for McGill. They were very delayed the last I heard from them (week and a half ago)--due to the faculty search, for two positions--but I did respond to them as soon as possible so that others can get notified. My uApply status was on "Submitted" nearly two days after I was notified by the Dept, so perhaps uApply isn't the best thing to judge things by. According to the letter, they are trying to enroll a cohort of 10, and provide funding for all (fees + stipend).

Neither did I until I saw that posting on the results board asking about it. It's irrelevant, as its April 2 and UVA has decided to go "off the grid" for some ridiculous reason.

Yes. I've just heard from someone on the committee regarding my decision, and they said that they "still" didn't have an exact timeline on decisions for me. She also mentioned that it might be another "week or so." It seems like it's a really close decision among applicants this year. The head of the graduate admissions committee said that all of the applicants that have been singled out are extremely good applicants. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, because we don't really have a choice!

Yes. I've just heard from someone on the committee regarding my decision, and they said that they "still" didn't have an exact timeline on decisions for me. She also mentioned that it might be another "week or so." It seems like it's a really close decision among applicants this year. The head of the graduate admissions committee said that all of the applicants that have been singled out are extremely good applicants. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, because we don't really have a choice!

That sounds like good news. We're down to 12 days until the 15th, so we won't have to wait too long. Im actually happy to talk to a few more UVA applicants. I havent run into anyone on GC interested in the program. Im still trying to get more information on it. Do you have any?

Let them know. Without the funding commitment, you're likely to get off the waitlist quickly.

In unrelated news, is anyone SUPER annoyed at Penn? I paid an application fee! Pay me back with a robot rejection letter before I get too old to care.

Tell me about it. None of my emails nor phone calls to Penn were replied or answered. 

For what it's worth, I was the one anthro PhD who posted for McGill. They were very delayed the last I heard from them (week and a half ago)--due to the faculty search, for two positions--but I did respond to them as soon as possible so that others can get notified. My uApply status was on "Submitted" nearly two days after I was notified by the Dept, so perhaps uApply isn't the best thing to judge things by. According to the letter, they are trying to enroll a cohort of 10, and provide funding for all (fees + stipend).

Thanks for the update blue_inversions. This is more info than the department has been willing to give out (perhaps because I'm not being strongly considered, fair enough, but I just wish they could have sent an update, rejection or wait-list notification by now out of respect for applicants with other deadlines to consider). I appreciate you informing them of your decision right away so they can get back to others. I think I will be accepting an offer from a different university regardless, but I would worry about the anthro program at McGill if the application process is any type of reflection of how they treat grad students in general.  Perhaps this is something worth considering or asking other current PhD students about. Wishing you all the best with your studies. 

Thanks for the update blue_inversions. This is more info than the department has been willing to give out (perhaps because I'm not being strongly considered, fair enough, but I just wish they could have sent an update, rejection or wait-list notification by now out of respect for applicants with other deadlines to consider). I appreciate you informing them of your decision right away so they can get back to others. I think I will be accepting an offer from a different university regardless, but I would worry about the anthro program at McGill if the application process is any type of reflection of how they treat grad students in general.  Perhaps this is something worth considering or asking other current PhD students about. Wishing you all the best with your studies. 

The massive student protests in Quebec might also be affecting the process.  

https://news.vice.com/article/videos-show-tens-of-thousands-marching-in-quebec-against-government-austerity

I don't know if it's the demos that are delaying--I think only undergrad law at McGill voted to strike, but I'm also going on secondhand info. I was also originally told I'd hear by the end of Feb/first week in March, and it was...three weeks(wish) later. I had really good chats with professors and students, and a good feeling about the place, so I'd be curious to hear what's up with the delays; seems like something is awry in the land of academic meetings/admin. Regardless, I hope everyone gets answers fast. McGill was my top choice, so I took it, even though I was/still am technically still waiting on Oxford. (And noticing not a lot of stuff posted on Oxford, and communication woes...delays everywhere!!) Sigh. Waiting sucks. : (

Maybe give it another few days...? I don't even know if they are open Monday.