Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

Got my official rejections from Clemson and Virginia Tech today. Glad I'm already happy with where I have chosen to attend. 

Best of luck to those who have gotten in and those who are still waiting!

Congrats on having made a decision! Would you mind telling me how Clemson let you know? Thanks :)

Has anyone heard from OU?

They sent out acceptances the third week of February. I released a fully funded acceptance + merit fellowship in mid-March. They seemed to have used a different strategy this year in that they sent out 12 acceptances, with the goal of having an incoming class of 8 (they have a very large graduating class). I'm guessing that means that they don't have a waitlist this year, but I don't know that for sure. 

Edited by toastytoast

Well guys and gals, I took a funded Ph.D offer at USD in Human Factos and released all my other offers. In the end, HF was where my heart really was. Probably won't see me around these parts too much anymore. Good luck to everyone that is waiting, got in places, or are applying next year. Very thankful to never do this again.

To address something brought up earlier, be polite and respectful at all times. While Faculty and current students don't forget applicants that acted unprofessionally, the same goes the other direction. You never know where someone might end up, or where their career may take them. That person you had under your thumb back in the day might be the person making a decision on your life in the future. Follow the golden rule.

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing what other offers you released? Thanks!

OU as in University of Oklahoma told me the department had not made any decisions concerning incoming students. I proceeded to tell the lady on the other end that its getting close to the deadline(April 15th) and she stopped me mid sentence asking where I've been hearing this. I'm not sure who to call now. My student portal still says the department is reviewing my application which is a little late being the deadline to submit applications was January 1st. Should I just rule them out at this point?

They sent out acceptances the third week of February. I released a fully funded acceptance + merit fellowship in mid-March. They seemed to have used a different strategy this year in that they sent out 12 acceptances, with the goal of having an incoming class of 8 (they have a very large graduating class). I'm guessing that means that they don't have a waitlist this year, but I don't know that for sure. 

University of Oklahoma has a waitlist of 4 people, according to one of their current students.  I know of 3 people who have accepted offers to OU (myself included), and I'm not sure of the status of the other 8 applicants.

OU as in University of Oklahoma told me the department had not made any decisions concerning incoming students. I proceeded to tell the lady on the other end that its getting close to the deadline(April 15th) and she stopped me mid sentence asking where I've been hearing this. I'm not sure who to call now. My student portal still says the department is reviewing my application which is a little late being the deadline to submit applications was January 1st. Should I just rule them out at this point?

As far as ruling out OU, were you invited to interview with them via Skype in mid-February?  I believe they contacted everyone who was accepted and put on the short list, so if you haven't been contacted by them at this point then you may have been rejected.

To give you some more info on the online app status, I accepted my offer and my online app still says waiting for departmental decision, so it may just be they don't update the online app until they know exactly who is coming to the university.

Toasytoast, would you mind PMing me where you accepted and if you were one of the students that attended recruitment weekend?

Congrats on having made a decision! Would you mind telling me how Clemson let you know? Thanks :)

Sure thing! They sent me an email with instructions to check the website. The decision letter was attached. 

The official rejection from Auburn came yesterday. Now I think it's just University of Houston dragging its feet. 

I just got a rejection from Clemson...I withdrew my application weeks ago. I wished they had just taken me out so that they didn't consider me along with other applicants 

Isn't that fun and confusing. Maybe they read that letter where the girl rejected her Duke rejection and decided to reject your withdrawal from consideration. I haven't withdrawn myself from any applications, but I did get rejected twice from USF, once on February 11th and on again on March 11th.  It was sort of upsetting because I thought, for an instant, that they had changed their minds. Ah well, all's well that ends well.

Isn't that fun and confusing. Maybe they read that letter where the girl rejected her Duke rejection and decided to reject your withdrawal from consideration. I haven't withdrawn myself from any applications, but I did get rejected twice from USF, once on February 11th and on again on March 11th.  It was sort of upsetting because I thought, for an instant, that they had changed their minds. Ah well, all's well that ends well.

Being rejected twice...wow. That's brutal! 

Also, I really feel like I should get my money for the application fee refunded from a few of the schools, like none of them ever even contacted me it was super annoying

So April 15th is finally here, Hope everyone got into a program and/or their top choice! Even if you didn't get into a program at all this year, it's not the end of the world. I applied to programs last year and was eventually rejected from all of them. I restudied/retook my GRE's and redid my SOP for the application cycle this year and got into my top choice! Goes to show you, just because you fail once doesn't mean you can't get it the next time... so try again!

I know ... April 15th is finally here and everyone knows where they are going. I am going to miss this grad cafe, coming home everyday anxious to check it. There was also a sense of excitement waiting for acceptances and rejections to come in, it gave a whole new meaning to checking your email everyday. I hated Saturday and Sunday because I knew no emails where being sent those days, so I found Monday - Thursday particularly exciting. Now the excitement is gone :/ 

Thank you every one for your contributions to this thread, I am glad we are all supportive of each other and have advice as best we can. This thread does seem like it's dyeing down for this year. I am off to Claremont Graduate University in the fall (my #1 choice, YAY!!!!!!!) and I am glad I get to stay in California for years to come :)

GOODBYE TO EVERYONE ACROSS THE UNITED STATED WHO WAS A PART OF THIS THREAD!  

Big pats on the back to everyone in this thread!

To future applicants: I echo the sentiment of taking anonymous/online advice with a huge grain of salt. Instead, seek out people who can give you better insight -- current grad students, faculty, alumni. Do not be afraid to cold-email and talk to people! I'd also encourage you to read up on grad school itself. You should know exactly what you're signing up for. My reading list:

I applied to 9 PhD programs: accepted at 5, waitlisted at 3 (1 eventual acceptance, 1 eventual rejection, and 1 withdrawn), and rejected at 2. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any of these: Penn State, Michigan State, George Mason, DePaul, University of Maryland, University of Houston, Portland State, Rice, and CUNY Baruch.

• 1 month later...

Big pats on the back to everyone in this thread!

To future applicants: I echo the sentiment of taking anonymous/online advice with a huge grain of salt. Instead, seek out people who can give you better insight -- current grad students, faculty, alumni. Do not be afraid to cold-email and talk to people! I'd also encourage you to read up on grad school itself. You should know exactly what you're signing up for. My reading list:

I applied to 9 PhD programs: accepted at 5, waitlisted at 3 (1 eventual acceptance, 1 eventual rejection, and 1 withdrawn), and rejected at 2. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about any of these: Penn State, Michigan State, George Mason, DePaul, University of Maryland, University of Houston, Portland State, Rice, and CUNY Baruch.

Hello!

Congrats to you for you acceptances!:D

I have a few questions regarding the PhD programs as I want to apply this coming fall. Currently I'm an undergrad with a overall cumulative GPA of 3.24. My major GPA is 3.8. I have not yet taken the GRE, will be taking it in August. I have taken courses at my school that are research based. And I will also be submitting a proposal to the Western Psychological Association in November as a 2nd author. Although I won't know if I have been approved to attend the conference by the time the deadline comes for graduate applications, I will still put on my resume that I have submitted a proposal. I plan to do more research over the summer with a couple of other professors.

I just feel a little doubtful reading most of these posts. Everyone seems to have to much experience in research and work experience. I want to apply to PhD programs in IO but I just don't know if what I'm bringing to the table is enough. What do you think? Any advice for me before I apply this coming December ?

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I know this is a thread for 2015 Ph.D. applications. However, I could not find any such thread for this year. I would really appreciate your help as I am a bit lost. 

I am an international student with M.A. in IO Psychology from University of Mumbai. I have good grades in my BA (81.33%) and MA (66%)- we don't have GPA scoring in Mumbai University. I have a couple of paper presentations and 6 research projects completed during my BA and MA years.

Plus, I have a 3 month research based internship (was offered pre placement offer) and 2 years of solid work experience in Corporate HR Department at a reputed MNC. It is a research based profile (3 large scale research projects completed) with focus on OB, Psychometrics and Statistics- have some great projects and awards at work here.

My GRE scores are 156Q, 164V and 4.5 for AWA.

My research interest is primarily in performance management (studying interactions of changing workforce, technological disruption and increased sociocultural focus on individualism on meaning and measurement of performance at work)- have completed two annual cycles of constructing and implementing performance management system in my organisation- with a large OD initiative in place.

Any advice if I have a fighting chance in top 10 IO Psychology Ph.D. programs? Any help is welcome. Thanks!