Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

Congrats Wrellie! I might be sending a PM your way soon, too.

I received an offer from Michigan State -- I'm so pleasantly surprised, as I thought it was a long shot. I'll also be attending University of Maryland's visiting day. So excited (and nervous)!

To which program did you apply at UMD?

Hi guys,

I'm newish to the forum and decided I would stop lurking. I applied to five schools and am now feeling a bit anxious about limiting myself to so few schools.

I have an hons ba, with a 3.77 program GPA and 3.8 upper level GPA, and a MA in clinical psych from a well known APA accredited institution. My grad GPA is 4.0/4.0. I got 162/162/4.5 on the GREs, and have 2 peer-reviewed publications, 1 publication under review, and 7 conference presentations-of which I am first author of 5.

I applied to BGSU, University of Oklahoma, and University of South Florida, and two Canadian schools. Am I screwed? Do schools that say they don't do interviews actually not do interviews?

Grad cafe says people have already been offered admission at BGSU. Does anyone know if interviews there are done systematically or on a more ad hoc basis?

Congratulations to everyone who has been successful so far!

Edited by toastytoast

Your profile looks very similar to mine except the fact that I am an undergraduate and you have an MA (which I would think would be in your favor). I only applied to 4 I/O programs and 2 OB programs. Do not get anxious. I would be absolutely shocked if you did not get interviews/acceptances. As long as you applied to programs where the faculty is a good fit with what you do/want to do then you are extremely competitive.

Grad cafe says people have already been offered admission at BGSU. Does anyone know if interviews there are done systematically or on a more ad hoc basis?

I don't know if it's like this for every professor, but it seemed like from my experience (and what my POI implied) that professors contact their shortlist independently but are encouraged by the department to move quickly to get students interested early on. I would think in a week or two if you still haven't heard anything from BGSU it would be reasonable to ask for a status update.

I don't know if it's like this for every professor, but it seemed like from my experience (and what my POI implied) that professors contact their shortlist independently but are encouraged by the department to move quickly to get students interested early on. I would think in a week or two if you still haven't heard anything from BGSU it would be reasonable to ask for a status update.

Definitely this. I was worried after seeing one of my schools pop up on the results page without hearing anything myself. A week later, I was contacted by my POI at that school for an interview. It's not easy, but you just have to be patient and positive.

Does anyone know if the the acceptance calls are spread out in any particular orderfor George mason? Did those who get in get accepted for PhD or masters?

It seems like the professors are contacting students at their own pace for George Mason.

Does anyone know if the the acceptance calls are spread out in any particular orderfor George mason? Did those who get in get accepted for PhD or masters?

I was also accepted to PhD. No idea on order at all.

Received an acceptance to George Mason's I/O program this past weekend. Extremely happy as it was in my top 3 schools before visits, funding, anything else is taken into account.

Could you also PM me your POI?  I have applied to George Mason but haven't heard anything yet.

Hi!  I got a really interesting email from a former adviser of mine.  She knows I am thinking of getting my Ph.D. in I/O after I get my masters and thought I would be interested in the process from the program side.  

BGSU currently has 8 offers out and seven wait listed.  She said their recruitment weekend is going to be 2/27, which is the same time as George Mason University and Wayne State University.  She said she also heard that USF is trying to make invitations in the coming week, but it sounds like they make offers after students make a visitation. My adviser wasn't too clear about how that works.

Does anyone else know anything to add?  

How do you pick which recruitment weekend to go to if you have several offers and all of them are on the same weekend?

How do you pick which recruitment weekend to go to if you have several offers and all of them are on the same weekend?

This happened to me.  I had an interview weekend and a recruitment weekend at the same time.  I had already accepted one invitation when I received the second one. Luckily, the one I had already committed to was my preferred program.  I told the other program that I had a prior engagement and that their proposed dates did not work for me, but I still wanted to visit.  They were fine with it, and we worked out an alternate set of dates (basically, immediately after I was back from the first visit).  It was a bit odd since I was the only prospective student there, but it was worth doing.

TL;DR - Prioritize.  And you might be able to visit both anyway.

Yep, I got a standard rejection email from UCF today. That stung a bit. Oh well, I had 1 interview already last weekend, and another lined up in 2 weeks. Still have 10 other schools to hear from as well.

For anyone who applied to University of Oklahoma's program, the program should be contacting applicants for interviews in early to mid-February.  Recruitment weekend is the first weekend in March.  I have a friend who is a current student there and is also helping coordinate recruitment weekend.

Yep, I got a standard rejection email from UCF today. That stung a bit. Oh well, I had 1 interview already last weekend, and another lined up in 2 weeks. Still have 10 other schools to hear from as well.

Yeah, it looks like George Mason and UCF sent out rejections today. The results section for I/O was pretty brutal today...