Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

I applied to Brown, WashU, Cornell and U Mich, of your schools and never once heard about an interview. I too was hoping to simply wait for a letter. I'm pretty sure that's all we have left.....not that waiting is easy. But yeah, I've never heard of interviews for at least those schools.

Best of luck to everyone.

I'm losing my mind, among other things.

On 1/23/2015 at 9:00 PM, Kaitipoola said:

Does anyone know whether there is an interview stage for top 50 MFA programs? If so, any clue what the interviews are like? Just saw someone on the Facebook MFA Draft who was invited to interview with a school.

I'm applying to the following MFAs: Washington University in St. Louis, U Virginia, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Brown, U Michigan, U Wyoming, U Florida, Louisiana State U.

The following MA programs with a Creative Writing emphasis: U Maine, U Missouri.

Any interview knowledge to share regarding these schools? I was kind of hoping there was nothing to do but wait for acceptance/rejection at this point...

Do you know which school that person was invited for an interview with? Certain schools do interview, like Oxford, Cambridge, and many art schools if they are specifically pursuing an art school. However, I have not heard of any interview process for the schools I have applied to, and we share a couple of schools. I have also looked at all the older threads because I was wondering the same thing and no one has ever mentioned an interview before. I think it is likely that for most MFA degrees, there is no interview.

On another note, how do you get into the MFA Draft page? I have been waiting all day for someone to confirm my request...

One last question for all, did you take the GRE? I decided not to because I am not good with standardized test taking, I figured better to depend on my over 3.75 GPA as evidence of my academic ability. Many schools say they don't require it or that it in no way effects the reviewing process, but I'm wondering how true that really is.

On 1/23/2015 at 9:00 PM, Kaitipoola said:

Does anyone know whether there is an interview stage for top 50 MFA programs? If so, any clue what the interviews are like? Just saw someone on the Facebook MFA Draft who was invited to interview with a school.

I'm applying to the following MFAs: Washington U in St. Louis, U Virginia, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Brown, U Michigan, U Wyoming, U Florida, Louisiana State U.

The following MA programs with a Creative Writing emphasis: U Maine, U Missouri.

Any interview knowledge to share regarding these schools? I was kind of hoping there was nothing to do but wait for acceptance/rejection at this point...

UVA and WashU don't conduct any interviews.

I also checked into the interview thing and looked on the MFA Draft to see what Kaitipoola was talking about. She was, as I suspected, interviewing with an art school. Art schools require interviews. Most other MFA programs do not appear to have an interview process.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

Do you know which school that person was invited for an interview with? Certain schools do interview, like Oxford, Cambridge, and many art schools if they are specifically pursuing an art school. However, I have not heard of any interview process for the schools I have applied to, and we share a couple of schools. I have also looked at all the older threads because I was wondering the same thing and no one has ever mentioned an interview before. I think it is likely that for most MFA degrees, there is no interview.

On another note, how do you get into the MFA Draft page? I have been waiting all day for someone to confirm my request...

One last question for all, did you take the GRE? I decided not to because I am not good with standardized test taking, I figured better to depend on my over 3.75 GPA as evidence of my academic ability. Many schools say they don't require it or that it in no way effects the reviewing process, but I'm wondering how true that really is.

I too am not good at taking standardized tests, so I bypassed the GRE and applied to schools that didn't require it. Sometimes it's recommended, but grades were decent and I agree, taking a test and getting a poor grade would probably make things worse. I don't know for sure how anything affects anything, but here's to crossing our fingers!

I too am not good at taking standardized tests, so I bypassed the GRE and applied to schools that didn't require it. Sometimes it's recommended, but grades were decent and I agree, taking a test and getting a poor grade would probably make things worse. I don't know for sure how anything affects anything, but here's to crossing our fingers!

Haha, cheers to that! I've been crossing fingers and praying, and I'm not even that religious, haha. Whatever might help though I figure.

Hey Guys!
I definitely am following the Draft 2015 on Facebook but as more of a lurker. I appreciate that we can post anonymously here--mostly because I am beyond paranoid and don't want to do anything that could in any possible way hurt my chances. I realize there is the disclaimer on the group but it still makes me nervous. Not that they are going to disqualify anyone over obsessing about applications... but better safe than sorry. 

I applied last year but only to four very competitive programs: Iowa, Brown, Syracuse, and Alabama. Frankly, I was not very informed going into the process last time. I just knew I wanted to write and I wanted to get my MFA. Despite rejection from all four I am more committed than ever. Although I can't say I feel more confident (ignorance was bliss last winter). 

I applied to these fiction MFA programs:
Alabama

Boston 

Brown

Columbia

Cornell

Iowa

Sarah Lawrence

UMass Amherst

UNCW

U of Oregon

WUSTL

Funding is really important to me but I took a risk applying to Columbia and Sarah Lawrence based on location (I am a former New Yorker) and hoping if (miracle) I get in that (double miracle) I could get some funding. Worth a shot! It is still a tough list and I keep second guessing myself, if there was some sort of "safety" school I could have added. But in all my research all funded programs are competitive, there is no sure thing, and 11 was where I capped it. 

Anyone heard any news about these schools? I know it is still really early but I am so antsy. Last year Cornell started contacting people the first week of February. 

re: interviews

I noticed that thread on the draft but I have never heard of that being a part of the process for any schools I applied to.

Not to sound super desperate buuuuuut... I requested to join the MFA draft group a few days ago and they still haven't accepted me! Is that normal, or should I maybe message one of the admins? NOW THAT I'VE HAD ONE REJECTION (from the Michener Center, in case you're wondering) I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT MY OTHER APPLICATIONS!

Not to sound super desperate buuuuuut... I requested to join the MFA draft group a few days ago and they still haven't accepted me! Is that normal, or should I maybe message one of the admins? NOW THAT I'VE HAD ONE REJECTION (from the Michener Center, in case you're wondering) I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT MY OTHER APPLICATIONS!

It took them a couple days to accept me as well. Just keep calm and carry on! You can always withdraw, and resubmit the request if you think that'll help. You can always chat us up though.

On 1/28/2015 at 4:09 AM, Nomad91 said:

Hey Guys!

I definitely am following the Draft 2015 on Facebook but as more of a lurker. I appreciate that we can post anonymously here--mostly because I am beyond paranoid and don't want to do anything that could in any possible way hurt my chances. I realize there is the disclaimer on the group but it still makes me nervous. Not that they are going to disqualify anyone over obsessing about applications... but better safe than sorry. 

I applied last year but only to four very competitive programs: Iowa, Brown, Syracuse, and Alabama. Frankly, I was not very informed going into the process last time. I just knew I wanted to write and I wanted to get my MFA. Despite rejection from all four I am more committed than ever. Although I can't say I feel more confident (ignorance was bliss last winter). 

I applied to these fiction MFA programs:

Alabama

Boston 

Brown

Columbia

Cornell

Iowa

Sarah Lawrence

UMass Amherst

UNCW

U of Oregon

WUSTL

Funding is really important to me but I took a risk applying to Columbia and Sarah Lawrence based on location (I am a former New Yorker) and hoping if (miracle) I get in that (double miracle) I could get some funding. Worth a shot! It is still a tough list and I keep second guessing myself, if there was some sort of "safety" school I could have added. But in all my research all funded programs are competitive, there is no sure thing, and 11 was where I capped it. 

Anyone heard any news about these schools? I know it is still really early but I am so antsy. Last year Cornell started contacting people the first week of February. 

re: interviews

I noticed that thread on the draft but I have never heard of that being a part of the process for any schools I applied to.

I applied to many of the same schools. In Fiction too. Haven't heard a thing. I just want to say I feel the frustration, anxiety, desperation, regret, some weird small hope, loss, paranoia too. I know it's early but I'm already losing my mind! Good to know about last year and Cornell. Of course, it could be totally different this time around with letting people know.....

Best of luck to everyone. All I can say is, you're not alone in the wait. It's the worst.

And maybe too ease your pain a little, I don't think with MFAs, there IS a safety school at all. The odds are tough either way. And it's all subjective. Just have to keep our fingers crossed!

I applied to many of the same schools. In Fiction too. Haven't heard a thing. I just want to say I feel the frustration, anxiety, desperation, regret, some weird small hope, loss, paranoia too. I know it's early but I'm already losing my mind! Good to know about last year and Cornell. Of course, it could be totally different this time around with letting people know.....

Best of luck to everyone. All I can say is, you're not alone in the wait. It's the worst.

And maybe too ease your pain a little, I don't think with MFAs, there IS a safety school at all. The odds are tough either way. And it's all subjective. Just have to keep our fingers crossed!

I would second that. With MFA's it's always a gamble.

Hello, everyone! May I join in your freak-outs?

A little about me: I'm a Senior in English Ed waiting to hear back from the 5 MFA programs I applied to. Even though I'm pretty confident in my writing, I'm nervous that I won't be accepted because I'm applying straight from my undergrad to grad school. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I mostly applied to small programs because I really want that community feel from my MFA program. I've heard that bigger, more prestigious universities can be very competitive, and this does not sound appealing to me. Am I crazy for only applying to 5? (Well, 4, if we're being serious. Vanderbilt? lolz.)

Vanderbilt (because why not.)

U Colorado (because Boulder.)

U Oregon (because Eugene.)

U Miami (small, diverse, pretty excellent funding if they offer it.)

Florida Atlantic University (small, pretty setting, respectable faculty.)

I have heard next to nothing in the forums about U Miami and FAU, and I think I'm actually the most excited and hopeful about these 2, so if anyone has any tidbits of info at all, I owe you my first born son.

Hello, everyone! May I join in your freak-outs?

A little about me: I'm a Senior in English Ed waiting to hear back from the 5 MFA programs I applied to. Even though I'm pretty confident in my writing, I'm nervous that I won't be accepted because I'm applying straight from my undergrad to grad school. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I mostly applied to small programs because I really want that community feel from my MFA program. I've heard that bigger, more prestigious universities can be very competitive, and this does not sound appealing to me. Am I crazy for only applying to 5? (Well, 4, if we're being serious. Vanderbilt? lolz.)

Vanderbilt (because why not.)

U Colorado (because Boulder.)

U Oregon (because Eugene.)

U Miami (small, diverse, pretty excellent funding if they offer it.)

Florida Atlantic University (small, pretty setting, respectable faculty.)

I have heard next to nothing in the forums about U Miami and FAU, and I think I'm actually the most excited and hopeful about these 2, so if anyone has any tidbits of info at all, I owe you my first born son.

Not sure what your genre is but there's been one poetry acceptance from FAU on Draft.

I applied straight out of undergrad and was accepted/waitlisted at quite a few places. Age really won't matter for most programs—your sample is what matters. I also attend a program that is considered "prestigious" and it is not at all competitive amongst the MFA students. It depends on the program and the cohort.

Edited by samson36

Thanks for the encouragement, Samson, and thanks for the information. Also, thanks for correcting me in terms of prestigious universities. If I don't get accepted anywhere this round I'll consider it next round. :) I'm fiction, so I'm going to hope one poetry acceptance isn't something for me to freak out about. But. What was the date on that acceptance, if you happen to remember? I'm a weirdo who doesn't use Facebook anymore.

Edited by Meowlly

Meowlly, you're extremely wise not to use Facebook. Since I've heard absolutely NOTHING from my schools yet (even a school I'm 100% sure I was rejected by), the MFA Draft is rapidly driving me insane. Also, best of luck to you with your applications! I also applied to Vanderbilt. 

As for everyone else: heard anything? Waitlists, rejections, acceptances?

In case anyone besides me is interested, according the FAU English office, all rejection/acceptance letters for fiction will (probably) all be mailed by Wednesday, Feb. the 11th. Eeek! 

Sometime at the very end of January, Meowlly.

I don't know if anyone will post acceptances/rejections on the MFA blog, but we have a post where people can: [removed.]

If I see anything on the blog, I'll post it here.