Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

hey yall,

im new to this forum, but my anxiety has driven me seek commiseration. I saw on the grad cafe survey that there has been contact from Cornell? Cornell's my top choice and I am freaking out about not having received a call today. I'm not on facebook. Anyone seen anything on draft?? Has every accepted applicant been contacted?? I'm freaking out!!!

Hi Lagoon91, don't freak out yet! It's a big program and calling every person probably takes some time. Mind you, this is coming from a freaking out person because according to the survey someone got accepted at FAU (among my top choices) and I have heard zilch. :( I saw someone got accepted at Vanderbilt. I really doubt I got accepted there, and I thought I'd be jealous to see someone get in, but actually I'm pretty happy for them. I'm pretty sure it's the first ever acceptance posted on the survey so... dayum.

Hi Meowlly,

thanks for the encouragement. As far as I know, Cornell's is a pretty small program (only 8 acceptances a year, 4 in each genre) so I doubt it'd take them long to call just 8 people. I just so desperately wanna be one of those 8!

Also to specify, I applied in fiction! I went big school-wise, so I applied to as many as I could afford. I applied to:

Alabama

Brown

Cornell

Iowa

Michigan

Michener

NYU

Purdue

Syracuse

UIUC

WUSTL

Haven't hear back from anyone, zip. No acceptances, no rejections, no waitlists. I guess with some of these schools, no new is good news for now?

So... one of my recommenders showed me the letter he wrote on my behalf after it had already been sent out to all my schools. My heart sank a little when I read it because it contained some false information. The recommender is someone I've done editorial work for a few years. In the letter, he got my age wrong by several years (not sure why it was even included), the dates I had worked for him wrong, and he said I had gone to college at a school I never attended. Much of the (long) letter was also about him and his past, instead of focusing on my accomplishments. I didn't say anything to him about it, because I didn't want to seem ungrateful. This person is older and a bit forgetful, and I really hope the letter doesn't affect the integrity of my applications. Maybe I'm too worried about it, since the writing sample is ultimately what matters. He claimed to have written "many" LORs for students before, so I guess I expected the letter to be a bit more concise (and accurate). I now feel lame for asking him to write it, but I actually thought he'd be a good person to ask considering his experience in editing and publishing. Has anyone else experienced this?

So... one of my recommenders showed me the letter he wrote on my behalf after it had already been sent out to all my schools. My heart sank a little when I read it because it contained some false information. The recommender is someone I've done editorial work for a few years. In the letter, he got my age wrong by several years (not sure why it was even included), the dates I had worked for him wrong, and he said I had gone to college at a school I never attended. Much of the (long) letter was also about him and his past, instead of focusing on my accomplishments. I didn't say anything to him about it, because I didn't want to seem ungrateful. This person is older and a bit forgetful, and I really hope the letter doesn't affect the integrity of my applications. Maybe I'm too worried about it, since the writing sample is ultimately what matters. He claimed to have written "many" LORs for students before, so I guess I expected the letter to be a bit more concise (and accurate). I now feel lame for asking him to write it, but I actually thought he'd be a good person to ask considering his experience in editing and publishing. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have not experienced this exactly. But I've had issues with recommenders in the past submitting and whatnot. First thing I'll say is that most likely, there's nothing you can do now, so don't freak out. It's out of your hands. Something else is that...yes, I think you're right. The sample is first and foremost. And third, maybe try to prep the recommenders next time, giving more information about yourself, making things very clear. And of course, you could try just not using that person in the future. Hopefully the letter didn't reveal that you were a horrible person or a horrible candidate. That may have an affect. But if it just got some numbers wrong, I imagine it shouldn't have much weight in your application.

Of course, this is coming from someone who just got rejected from Minnesota today. That's also why I'm posting. Don't know about anyone else, but figured I'd say it here. First rejection. I imagine it's not the last.

Anyway, my advice is just to do everything you possibly can to eliminate the pressure/stress from the recommender.

Best of luck to everybody!!

Edited by jforms

I have not experienced this exactly. But I've had issues with recommenders in the past submitting and whatnot. First thing I'll say is that most likely, there's nothing you can do now, so don't freak out. It's out of your hands. Something else is that...yes, I think you're right. The sample is first and foremost. And third, maybe try to prep the recommenders next time, giving more information about yourself, making things very clear. And of course, you could try just not using that person in the future. Hopefully the letter didn't reveal that you were a horrible person or a horrible candidate. That may have an affect. But if it just got some numbers wrong, I imagine it shouldn't have much weight in your application.

Of course, this is coming from someone who just got rejected from Minnesota today. That's also why I'm posting. Don't know about anyone else, but figured I'd say it here. First rejection. I imagine it's not the last.

Anyway, my advice is just to do everything you possibly can to eliminate the pressure/stress from the recommender.

Best of luck to everybody!!

Thanks for your response, jforms. I had face-to-face meetings with all my recommenders and exchanged several emails with them as well...but, oh well. You're right- it's out of my hands now, best not to worry. 

Sorry to hear about your Minnesota rejection. I got mine the other day as well. That was one of my top choices, and Minneapolis seems like a city with a lot of resources and support for writers, including some great independent presses like Milkweed and Graywolf, the Loft Literary Center, Louise Erdrich's bookstore, lots of other things I'm probably forgetting...

Good luck with the rest of your applications!

Haha, I know!! You don't gotta tell me. Many good things going on there, in addition to the Replacements.

I think just letting it go and knowing it's out of our hands is the only thing to do. It sounds so cliche, but I'm in the same boat and maybe we can find freedom or some weird sense of peace knowing that we did our best and it's over. If you had the meetings and all the emails back and forth, than you did your part and that's all you can do.

Yes, best of luck. And congrats to who got into Minnesota!

So apparently that Cornell accept was a hoax??

Is the Iowa one a hoax too?? Who would play these types of games????

I also get the feeling that this coming week is gonna be a big one in terms of contact from programs, so fingers crossed for all!

Hi Everybody! I've enjoyed reading all your entries- glad to know I"m not alone in this peculiar angst of waiting to hear back!  

It's interesting to see where people applied, and that the two-yes TWO- schools where I applied are not listed often.  I can't move now, so I applied to UC Irvine (dream!) and UC Riverside (longer commute, but still dream.)  

I honestly don't know if I"m a competitive applicant, but figured I'd give it a shot.  Out of school for 15 years, lots of travel and life experience, some minor publications, and tons of people telling me I should be a writer.  My apps were OK, not super polished, but I hope they showed that innate talent that CAN'T be taught, and that I"m super teachable to learn what CAN be taught, enough so that they'll think I"m a good investment.

Good luck everyone!

I also get the feeling that this coming week is gonna be a big one in terms of contact from programs, so fingers crossed for all!

Iowa and Cornell notified around this time last year so they may be real. A person showed up in Draft and claimed the Cornell acceptance but then deleted their comment and left the group.

Hey, just a question.  Do you think it means anything if a school contacts you about a missing transcript?  I mean, if there are 500 applicaitons, and 492 of them will be rejected, would they routinely start going through a list of 500 apps to determine what's missing?  That seems like a waste of time.   Or might they only go through those that have made some sort of cut?  Ultimately, it doesn't matter:  I"m either in or not- but it gives a little hope in the waiting period!  What do you guys think?

People are sick...

Hey, just a question.  Do you think it means anything if a school contacts you about a missing transcript?  I mean, if there are 500 applicaitons, and 492 of them will be rejected, would they routinely start going through a list of 500 apps to determine what's missing?  That seems like a waste of time.   Or might they only go through those that have made some sort of cut?  Ultimately, it doesn't matter:  I"m either in or not- but it gives a little hope in the waiting period!  What do you guys think?

You're right. Ultimately...it doesn't matter. Of course, you should make sure everything is in. But I imagine that the schools would have gotten in touch by now if your applications were incomplete. Either we're in or not. I have a ton of questions too, but it's an effort in futility. We just have to wait and see and hope things go our way. If our applications are as good as they can be, there's nothing else to do. Also, I applied to UC Irvine. And in relation to your other post, it seems to me that they either like you or not, regardless of publication, age or any other thing that we think could help or hurt us. Just have to keep some hope and try not thinking about it! 

Best of luck. We're all in it together.

Haha, I know!! You don't gotta tell me. Many good things going on there, in addition to the Replacements.

I think just letting it go and knowing it's out of our hands is the only thing to do. It sounds so cliche, but I'm in the same boat and maybe we can find freedom or some weird sense of peace knowing that we did our best and it's over. If you had the meetings and all the emails back and forth, than you did your part and that's all you can do.

Yes, best of luck. And congrats to who got into Minnesota!

Aw man, jforms, I am a big Replacements fan and was in a Replacements cover band once for a Halloween show. Haha. Glad to hear someone else digs Minneapolis music in addition to all the great literary stuff.

Just got a lovely Cornell rejection email................sigh

same! don't feel too bad, we're in it together i guess :/ im a little bummed cause it was my top choice. but it feels silly to have top choices in MFA programs, the whole thing is just so up in the air

Throwing my lot in with the Cornell and UMass rejects. Siiiiigh. :'( I knew Cornell was an impossible dream, but I really did think I had a shot at UMass... ah well. So it goes.

Edited by Nibs

If the Iowa notifications are real, I've seen only 3 on the results page... 2 fiction acceptances and 1 poetry. They seem to be happening slowly, though, not in batches like the other notifications. I imagine they would be getting back to people slowly due to the 1,000+ applications they have to read. Like a few other posters on this forum, I'm not on Facebook, so I'm not sure what's going on with the Draft page. Any insights?