Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

Someone on Draft said most (but not all) Iowa fiction acceptances have gone out. Poetry had their final list ready last week so I imagine at least some calls have gone out.

what?? who has access to this type of information? has anyone else heard back? my app status on ISIS still says in progress. 

Someone on Draft said most (but not all) Iowa fiction acceptances have gone out. Poetry had their final list ready last week so I imagine at least some calls have gone out.

I'd say that's a little strong for what the posters on Draft have said about Iowa. No one said that most notifications have gone out. In fact, someone looked at the stats from last year and reassured everyone that the calls usually take place over the course of 3 days or so. Consider yourself still in the running until you hear otherwise, would be my advice.

I'd say that's a little strong for what the posters on Draft have said about Iowa. No one said that most notifications have gone out. In fact, someone looked at the stats from last year and reassured everyone that the calls usually take place over the course of 3 days or so. Consider yourself still in the running until you hear otherwise, would be my advice.

If some people have already received acceptances, it sounds like we'll probably know a little more by the end of the week.

Thanks, samson36 and shoopster, for your insights!

Ugh. Rejected from Florida Atlantic University. I know there's no such thing as a safe school when it comes to MFAs, but if I had one, I thought it was FAU. So now I'm even more nervous than before. I say again: ugh.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are applying straight out of undergrad? Has anyone taken significant time off?

Also, what would be your ideal job post-MFA? Are you interested in teaching and looking for the MFA as a credential, or more interested in having a day job of some kind while continuing to write?

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are applying straight out of undergrad? Has anyone taken significant time off?

Also, what would be your ideal job post-MFA? Are you interested in teaching and looking for the MFA as a credential, or more interested in having a day job of some kind while continuing to write?

I'm applying straight out of undergrad. I'm getting an English Ed degree from Purdue, and then post-MFA (if it happens) I'd like to teach high school and write in my free time. Eventually I'd seek a professorship.

Edited by Meowlly

I took a year off.

No idea as to job prospects. I think I'd be a good fit for university level teaching, minus the bureaucracy.

Edited by jforms

I also applied to U of O, and just U of O. When do they email out rejection letters? I have a feeling that I'm not getting in. I just wish I knew definitively.

I'm in the same boat. Applied to both, haven't heard from either. Haven't seen too many postings either. We'll see. Best of luck!

I've been trying to seriously conceptualize the odds and how competition is so stiff. And I think it's a beneficial mentality in any case. For instance, if I get in, it's amazing BECAUSE the odds are so low. If I don't get in, the blow should be a little lessened, being very much aware of the applicant/acceptance ratio...does that make sense? Anyway, that idea has helped me through the first couple rejections and hopefully whatever is to come.

Edited by jforms

I'm in the same boat. Applied to both, haven't heard from either. Haven't seen too many postings either. We'll see. Best of luck!

I've been trying to seriously conceptualize the odds and how competition is so stiff. And I think it's a beneficial mentality in any case. For instance, if I get in, it's amazing BECAUSE the odds are so low. If I don't get in, the blow should be a little lessened, being very much aware of the applicant/acceptance ratio...does that make sense? Anyway, that idea has helped me through the first couple rejections and hopefully whatever is to come.

I agree, that rejection will probably sting less if I keep things in perspective. I just wish I could know so I wouldn't torture myself by getting my hopes up. Also, now I feel like kicking myself for not applying to Portland State. I even have family in Portland. 

I feel strongly that they should let you know early on whether or not they are going to reject you. You know? For example, if an applicant never makes it out of the slush pile, then let that person know (gently) that they will not be accepted. There could be a staggered rejection system. 

I agree, that rejection will probably sting less if I keep things in perspective. I just wish I could know so I wouldn't torture myself by getting my hopes up. Also, now I feel like kicking myself for not applying to Portland State. I even have family in Portland. 

I feel strongly that they should let you know early on whether or not they are going to reject you. You know? For example, if an applicant never makes it out of the slush pile, then let that person know (gently) that they will not be accepted. There could be a staggered rejection system. 

Definitely. I think all rejections should head out first. It'd be terrible to get a rejection in March or April. I feel like all rejections should be done in Feb. I know it doesn't work like that, but it'd be nice. I desperately hope we don't wait til April to find out we're rejected from a bunch of places. I don't really know how it works. How many rounds and stages, fiction, poetry, admittance into the graduate school itself, etc. And I'm sure each school is a little different. One day, when we rule the world, we'll make the proper adjustments to the system.

Yeah, we just got to hang in there. Two in one day, Octoberstormxx?! Ouch, that's gotta sting.

Tell me about it. I was like... great. :-P

On the bright side though, I'm a finalist for a teaching assistantship and several fellowships at Chatham University over in Pittsburgh. So one of my safety schools is turning out for the better, and I'm pretty pleased with that. :)

I don't know about you guys, but I had to leave the MFA Draft page... it was too nerve-wracking to watch all the acceptances/rejections. Here it's a lot slower a pace and I don't mind as much, there... just sets me on edge in the worst way.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

Well, I'm certainly covered as far as dreaming the impossible dreams goes. @_@ I applied to ten such high-ticket places that I think my one single, solitary acceptance from SIUC is all I'm going to get! This would be better news if I wasn't terribly afraid of going from a city with 4.1 million inhabitants (Kolkata) to one with 28,000 (Carbondale)... I'm such a city kid.

I actually did a Masters in English Lit and then took a year off to work before applying for MFAs this year. I'd say it matters relatively little when in your life you apply, as long as your writing is strong and shows promise.

Post-MFA, I would ideally like a strong day job while I write on the side. In publishing, maybe, or ESL. I'll take anything I can get -- it's tricky because I'm not from the US of A, but would like to live and work here if possible.

Tell me about it. I was like... great. :-P

On the bright side though, I'm a finalist for a teaching assistantship and several fellowships at Chatham University over in Pittsburgh. So one of my safety schools is turning out for the better, and I'm pretty pleased with that. :)

I don't know about you guys, but I had to leave the MFA Draft page... it was too nerve-wracking to watch all the acceptances/rejections. Here it's a lot slower a pace and I don't mind as much, there... just sets me on edge in the worst way.

You know, Octoberstormxx, I'm beginning to feel the same way. I don't think I would have nearly this amount of anxiety if I didn't (obsessively?) check the Draft page. I got myself into such a funk last night just watching Iowa acceptances roll in.

You know, Octoberstormxx, I'm beginning to feel the same way. I don't think I would have nearly this amount of anxiety if I didn't (obsessively?) check the Draft page. I got myself into such a funk last night just watching Iowa acceptances roll in.

Yeah, that's why I left, haha. So I guess that's a no for Iowa too.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and feeling very tormented awaiting news. I am wondering if anyone might be able to provide a little more clarity about what's happening on the Facebook page. I applied in poetry and like many people am dreaming of Iowa! Have all the poetry notifications gone out to Iowa? Also any insight on the poetry situation at Cornell?

Thanks!

Edited by Bug128

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and feeling very tormented awaiting news. I am wondering if anyone might be able to provide a little more clarity about what's happening on the Facebook page. I applied in poetry and like many people am dreaming of Iowa! Have all the poetry notifications gone out to Iowa? Also any insight on the poetry situation at Cornell?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards.

No idea about Iowa or Cornell for poetry. I will say this however, if other people have gotten notifications for poetry and you still haven't, it's most likely you've been waitlisted or rejected. At least, that's the general trend I'm noticing. People say that they inform over a course of days, but I think that's just some being hopeful. I'm pretty sure they contact everyone in one go. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic though. :P At this point, I'm just waiting for a rejection from Iowa. xD I wish universities would inform the rejected before the accepted like Michener.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

Welcome to the boards.

No idea about Iowa or Cornell for poetry. I will say this however, if other people have gotten notifications for poetry and you still haven't, it's most likely you've been waitlisted or rejected. At least, that's the general trend I'm noticing. People say that they inform over a course of days, but I think that's just some being hopeful. I'm pretty sure they contact everyone in one go. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic though. :P At this point, I'm just waiting for a rejection from Iowa. xD I wish universities would inform the rejected before the accepted like Michener.

speaking of Michener, looks like they've started another round of rejections. good luck to all!

and yea i think Iowa's done at this point. just waiting to officially add them to the reject list :/