Jump to content

2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

eteshoe, at least turn down SOME of those acceptances.  It's not polite to hold onto so many when others might want in.

YES!! Got my first official offer today! Happens to be from the same school that rejected me two years ago.   

So i got an interview offer today (to my last-choice school) - would it look bad if i didn't get back to them until after the break? the two weekend options that i can choose from are 1) two days after one of my other interviews, i will be so tired - and 2) same weekend as stanford 

 

stanford sends out invites the week of january 5 according to their website - so if i don't get stanford, id rather go to the second interview weekend - so would it be ok if i didn't answer the interview email until i find out about stanford? 

Edited by Farafeelo
Link to post
Share on other sites

So i got an interview offer today (to my last-choice school) - would it look bad if i didn't get back to them until after the break? the two weekend options that i can choose from are 1) two days after one of my other interviews, i will be so tired - and 2) same weekend as stanford 

 

stanford sends out invites the week of january 5 according to their website - so if i don't get stanford, id rather go to the second interview weekend - so would it be ok if i didn't answer the interview email until i find out about stanford? 

If I were you, I would probably pick the first weekend. Worst case scenario, you are tired and don't do so well on your interview session for your last-choice. You can also try and contact them and ask if it would be ok to get back to them at the beginning of January, but I don't know how they would take it!

PS: I'm doing 2 back-to-back interviews in February and I don't think it will be so bad!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i got an interview offer today (to my last-choice school) - would it look bad if i didn't get back to them until after the break? the two weekend options that i can choose from are 1) two days after one of my other interviews, i will be so tired - and 2) same weekend as stanford 

 

stanford sends out invites the week of january 5 according to their website - so if i don't get stanford, id rather go to the second interview weekend - so would it be ok if i didn't answer the interview email until i find out about stanford? 

How many interviews do you have lined up? Is it worth it to you to go to the interview for your last-choice school?

My last-choice school was the first to send me an invite. I grabbed it immediately because I didn't know how the rest of the season would play out...but then overlap became a serious problem, and I got my last-choice school to reschedule, but now I wish I just declined the invite. Unfortunately they have purchased my plane ticket and made other accomodations for me, so I will be a good sport and see what they have to offer.

I mean, interviews are "free" in that they don't cost anything directly, but there's the opportunity cost of hours you could have put into work/the lab -- everyone says that this is the time to save up for the expenses of moving, but now I have 6 interviews, each lasting 3-4 days...I'm going to lose out on 22 (mostly weekend) days, or about ~130 hours of pay.

Just something to consider.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were you, I would probably pick the first weekend. Worst case scenario, you are tired and don't do so well on your interview session for your last-choice. You can also try and contact them and ask if it would be ok to get back to them at the beginning of January, but I don't know how they would take it!

PS: I'm doing 2 back-to-back interviews in February and I don't think it will be so bad!

 

You make a good point!

 

How many interviews do you have lined up? Is it worth it to you to go to the interview for your last-choice school?

My last-choice school was the first to send me an invite. I grabbed it immediately because I didn't know how the rest of the season would play out...but then overlap became a serious problem, and I got my last-choice school to reschedule, but now I wish I just declined the invite. Unfortunately they have purchased my plane ticket and made other accomodations for me, so I will be a good sport and see what they have to offer.

I mean, interviews are "free" in that they don't cost anything directly, but there's the opportunity cost of hours you could have put into work/the lab -- everyone says that this is the time to save up for the expenses of moving, but now I have 6 interviews, each lasting 3-4 days...I'm going to lose out on 22 (mostly weekend) days, or about ~130 hours of pay.

Just something to consider.

 

 

That's true. Im more worried about missing so much school rather than missing work (i hate my job lol). But i only have 2 interviews (3 when you count my last choice school). I wanted to keep my options open and Im also worried about the possibility of getting rejected from a school I interview with!!! I mean, everyone says that if you get an interview, you're likely to be accepted unless you completely screw up your interview but I'm still nervous! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

everybody can get a postdoc position anywhere, it does not matter where you do your postdoc. what matters is what you do while you're a postdoc. its all about research success.

Um, that's not true....I've met many post-docs in the labs I've worked in, and the one thing they all share in common is that they published good papers as grad students (first author in cell, science, nature or the like), at least one. Also, it doesn't matter where you do a post-doc or phd but doing it in a place with more resources/funding (usually, but not always, ivy schools) definitely helps push projects forward, which makes it easier to do more experiments and controls, which makes it easier to publish good papers, which makes it easier to get a post-doc position that ultimately makes it easier to get an academic/industry position

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting to hear from that exact program today. Any idea if they're letting everyone know today or tomorrow?

OHSU has updated the PMCB website saying if you don't get a response by Dec 26, to email the coordinator. Eek. This just makes celebrating the holidays more stressful  :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

OHSU has updated the PMCB website saying if you don't get a response by Dec 26, to email the coordinator. Eek. This just makes celebrating the holidays more stressful  :wacko:

Well now it's just an even more stressful waiting game. Does it say anything on your application status page?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an interview from Wisconsin IPiB! So far I'm six for six... Currently waiting for UCSF though (two weeks waiting though...) and Penn State. I'll probably decline Penn State and UC Davis interviews though.

 

Did anybody from Vanderbilt IGP get an interview for the February 6th or February 20th weekend? I'm trying to move my January 30th interview to those weekends.

Edited by Ragneo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Um, that's not true....I've met many post-docs in the labs I've worked in, and the one thing they all share in common is that they published good papers as grad students (first author in cell, science, nature or the like), at least one. Also, it doesn't matter where you do a post-doc or phd but doing it in a place with more resources/funding (usually, but not always, ivy schools) definitely helps push projects forward, which makes it easier to do more experiments and controls, which makes it easier to publish good papers, which makes it easier to get a post-doc position that ultimately makes it easier to get an academic/industry position

 

I would agree that high quality papers top journals are what gets a good postdoc. Name of a school you went to means nothing if you publish sub-par research in a bogus journal lacking controls etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview to Johns Hopkins Cellular and Molecular Biology! I already accepted an interview to their pharmacology program so it will be kind of weird to go through the "get to know Johns Hopkins/Baltimore" process twice (if I do accept). 

 

I still haven't accepted my UPenn interview because I believe it overlaps with NYU Sackler and historically they have sent out interviews this week, but still waiting. Ugh  -_-

Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, got a question for you: I'm an international applicant without US degree, so got my BSc overseas. I have applied to a number of schools and got only few interviews so far (haven't heard from the majority, expecting rejection at this point). I finalized all my applications in the first two weeks of November and was awarded a major research grant (that I don't want to disclose at this point) for 2 years just recently that would cover my stipend.

 

I wonder if you would encourage me to let the schools know that my funding situation has changed in the meantime and if there would be a way to have my application reconsidered?

Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, got a question for you: I'm an international applicant without US degree, so got my BSc overseas. I have applied to a number of schools and got only few interviews so far (haven't heard from the majority, expecting rejection at this point). I finalized all my applications in the first two weeks of November and was awarded a major research grant (that I don't want to disclose at this point) for 2 years just recently that would cover my stipend.

 

I wonder if you would encourage me to let the schools know that my funding situation has changed in the meantime and if there would be a way to have my application reconsidered?

It might be a good idea to contact the other schools you haven't heard from and let them know the update. I haven't been in this situation, so I'm not sure sure the protocol for doing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

guys, got a question for you: I'm an international applicant without US degree, so got my BSc overseas. I have applied to a number of schools and got only few interviews so far (haven't heard from the majority, expecting rejection at this point). I finalized all my applications in the first two weeks of November and was awarded a major research grant (that I don't want to disclose at this point) for 2 years just recently that would cover my stipend.

 

I wonder if you would encourage me to let the schools know that my funding situation has changed in the meantime and if there would be a way to have my application reconsidered?

 

Yes most certainly. I have heard of cases with decisions actually reversed when schools become aware of funding.

Lack of funding for internationals is a huge deterrent and if you're a compelling candidate, funding may be the only issue holding back your admission/interview. That said, often the people more interested in your funding are the potential supervisors (who will eventually have to pay for you in the lab) rather than the admissions committee - so I'd highly recommend you let both parties know (if you've already been in contact with POIs) as these potential supervisors may well advocate for you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey for people who received UC Davis BMCDB or other Davis invites, did you receive the email with the interview details yet? And are there more than one interview dates? I got my invitation over phone from a POI but I realized the date mentioned clashes with the UCI CMB itnerview date I can attend. He also said an email with the details would come in today, but I havent seen the email yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey for people who received UC Davis BMCDB or other Davis invites, did you receive the email with the interview details yet? And are there more than one interview dates? I got my invitation over phone from a POI but I realized the date mentioned clashes with the UCI CMB itnerview date I can attend. He also said an email with the details would come in today, but I havent seen the email yet.

I received an invite but I haven't received anything official e-mail wise. The guy on the phone said that if you need an alternate date then you should designate it on the form or whatever. He also said that you may be able to work out sharing an interview weekend with other UC schools or a Skype interview.

Edited by Ragneo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an invite but I haven't received anything official e-mail wise. The guy on the phone said that if you need an alternate date then you should designate it on the form or whatever. He also said that you may be able to work out sharing an interview weekend with other UC schools or a Skype interview.

 

Thanks! That was helpful, good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.