St. Louis, MO

Guest guest

Guest student45238

Here are some of the most popular St. Louis neighborhoods:

Central West End
Over a century old, the Central West End is chic and full of charm. Stop by antique shops, boutiques and restaurants after exploring the neighborhood’s visitor attractions. Forest Park is on your doorstep with its roster of cultural institutions and acres of green space.

The Central West End is home to the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, one of the largest mosaic collections in the western hemisphere. The Cathedral offers both masses and tours to view its magnificent artistry. The World Chess Hall of Fame offers chess lessons as well as championing St. Louis as a global chess capital. Throughout the year you can also attend the Earth Day Festival and Microfest in Forest Park as well as Bookfest St. Louis, Halloween in the CWE,  and the Greek Festival on Labor Day Weekend. This is also home to WUSTL’s and SLU’s medical campus.

Dogtown
Residents of Dogtown, located south of Forest Park, enjoy easy access to all of the park’s amenities – the free zoo, art museum, history museum, trails for walking and biking, etc.  Proximity to central corridor neighborhoods like Clayton, The Hill, Maplewood, and the CWE, along with easy access to the highway for a quick commute to downtown, put this neighborhood in demand. Dogtown is known for its quaint historic area near the intersection of Clayton and Tamm Avenues, and is home to a large annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which is the more authentic of the two St. Louis parades for this holiday. Its central location and varied housing stock make it an appealing option.

Lafayette Square
Lafayette Square is small, but one of the most iconic and historic neighborhoods in the city of St. Louis. Along with Central West End, it’s home to some of the city’s most spectacular, expansive homes. As you stroll through 30 acres of greenery in the center of an urban landscape, you can try fantastic food and drinks in the neighborhood’s classy restaurants and bars, stroll through specialty shops and enjoy free concerts during the summer.

Soulard
Just a five minutes’ drive from the Gateway Arch, Soulard is a historic French neighborhood that will charm you with its red-brick townhouses and their balconies, courtyards and blues music scene. Looking for something unique to check out here? Visit the Soulard Farmers Market, open Wednesdays through Saturdays — it has been operating since 1779!

The Hill
If you’re looking to settle somewhere with a strong Italian heritage, you’ve come to the right place. This neighborhood is home to a large number of locally renowned Italian-American restaurants, bakeries, grocery stores and bocce gardens. The neighborhood’s narrow streets can get clogged with traffic on weekends, but The Hill is also one of the most walkable, compact areas in St. Louis. And fun fact: Baseball greats Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola, Sr., both grew up on The Hill!

Chesterfield
Just 30 minutes west of downtown St. Louis, Chesterfield is a peaceful residential area offering beautiful homes and great schools. Known as the “City of Volunteers” due to its citizens’ involvement in helping the city, you’ll find several cultural outlets, historic villages, public parks and community initiatives.

Kirkwood
Known as the queen of the suburbs, Kirkwood’s art, nature and small-town charm make it the perfect neighborhood for families or anyone who wants a quieter life with access to a range of amenities. The area offers an abundance of great schools, churches and family-friendly attractions including parks, farmers’ markets and museums.

The Magic House has been voted the number one children’s museum in the U.S. and offers hundreds of hands-on educational exhibits. Be sure to also check out Laumeier Sculpture Park – a 105-acre park featuring 60 pieces of large-scale outdoor sculptures (and one of the first and largest sculpture parks in the country). The National Museum of Transportation is another nearby attraction that’s a great day out for families.

Clayton
Conveniently located less than 10 miles from downtown St. Louis, Clayton is also the seat of government for St. Louis County. Part of WashU’s campus is also located within Clayton. It’s a lively administrative center, business and financial hub, and the white-collar atmosphere draws in premium boutiques, restaurants, hotels and bars. Enjoy a seasonal farmers market, multiple food festivals and pristine art galleries. The Saint Louis Art Fair, held every September, is rated one of the best in the nation. It attracts more than 150,000 people each year!

Webster Groves
Suburban Webster Groves has a great range of homes at varying prices, some fantastic restaurants and bars, as well as being just a 20-minute drive from downtown St. Louis along Interstate 44. Webster Groves is one of the metro area’s up-and-coming success stories. 

Shaw
If you want an older home, look at this leafy South City neighborhood. Cute corner stores and cafes are one attraction, while nearby Tower Grove Park is a beautiful place to experience St. Louis’ four seasons. The locals here are spoiled for natural beauty: The Botanical Gardens (still known to many locals as Shaw’s Garden, after its founder, Henry Shaw) is a short walk away and a stunning oasis in the city.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, Rio20 said:

I'm a Black queer woman who is married to a white brazilian woman. Will we experience racism and homophobia? I live in NYC and I'm from SF, so I'm a little scared.

I lived in St. Louis for six years. I never experienced racism or homophobia. I imagine a lot of it might depend on where you live but I think sticking close to the city will eliminate a lot of that fear. I think you'd be at a higher chance of experiencing racism if you were living 30 minutes or more from St. Louis. I think you'd be safe as long as you were somewhere that was served by either the Metro Buses or MetroLink: https://www.metrostlouis.org/

Another reason I'd advise living close to a bus stop or the Metro is because a lot of the local universities provide a discounted or free metro bus. WashU provides free semester and summer passes. Public Transportation has improved tremendously since when I first started and it isn't perfect but I think it's a better system than most cities of a comparable size. There are some areas it could reach but the areas that are further from it have lobbied against it because they enjoy lighter-foot traffic.

I have found most people to be respectful as long as you're respectful to them.

Hello!

I was recently accepted into ENMU's SLP master's program. Just wondering if anyone has attended/is currently attending/or knows anything about the program, can tell me more about it. How is the school? The people? The professors? More importantly how is their speech program? Any info. would be so helpful!

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got accepted to WashU's MSW program. I know it's an amazing school and program but I'm worried about my ability to live in St. Louis. I cannot drive due to how highly epileptic I am so I've always lived places with well developed metro systems/public transits. Does anyone have any experience going to WashU without a car? (or any experience with public transportation in St.L. ). Would I be able to live a decent life or would I be too handicapped? I'm okay with Ubering but I would prefer it not to be a daily thing. 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, bragierrnot said:

Just got accepted to WashU's MSW program.

Congratulations! I've had several friends who graduated from WashU's MSW program and they speak highly of it.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, bragierrnot said:

I cannot drive due to how highly epileptic I am so I've always lived places with well developed metro systems/public transits. Does anyone have any experience going to WashU without a car? (or any experience with public transportation in St.L. ). Would I be able to live a decent life or would I be too handicapped? I'm okay with Ubering but I would prefer it not to be a daily thing. 

I made it through St. Louis without driving. And I saw transportation options improve greatly from when I started and when I ended. Washington University provides all of its students with a Metro Transit Pass.  The Metro Transit Pass allows you to ride the buses and light rail in St. Louis. The light rail map can be found here: https://www.metrostlouis.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/MK180468redblueline_update_CORTEX.jpg

The Skinker stop drops you off right by campus as does the University City-Big Bend stop. 

Popular neighborhoods that grad students decide to live in (that also offer easy public transportation options) include:
Central West End
Skinker/DeBaliviere
The Loop/University City
Clayton-Tamm*
Hi-Pointe*
*Clayton-Tamm and Hi-Pointe along with a few other neighborhoods also make up what's known as Dogtown. I think these two neighborhoods are the most bike-friendly and are the closest to the University if one were inclined to walk or bike. There are a lot of great local restaurants in Clayton-Tamm including Nora's which was named one of 33 best sandwich shops in the country by Thrillist.

I lived in different neighborhoods throughout my time in St. Louis and I never felt like I had a need for a car. It might've made certain aspects easier but I think having access to the buses and light rail made a huge difference in my experience. The transportation is significantly better than people tend to give it credit for. Buses run approximately every 30 minutes on the weekdays and the rail runs every 6-10 minutes depending on the time of the day.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:53 PM, Regimentations said:

Congratulations! I've had several friends who graduated from WashU's MSW program and they speak highly of it.

I made it through St. Louis without driving. And I saw transportation options improve greatly from when I started and when I ended. Washington University provides all of its students with a Metro Transit Pass.  The Metro Transit Pass allows you to ride the buses and light rail in St. Louis. The light rail map can be found here: https://www.metrostlouis.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/MK180468redblueline_update_CORTEX.jpg

The Skinker stop drops you off right by campus as does the University City-Big Bend stop. 

Popular neighborhoods that grad students decide to live in (that also offer easy public transportation options) include:
Central West End
Skinker/DeBaliviere
The Loop/University City
Clayton-Tamm*
Hi-Pointe*
*Clayton-Tamm and Hi-Pointe along with a few other neighborhoods also make up what's known as Dogtown. I think these two neighborhoods are the most bike-friendly and are the closest to the University if one were inclined to walk or bike. There are a lot of great local restaurants in Clayton-Tamm including Nora's which was named one of 33 best sandwich shops in the country by Thrillist.

I lived in different neighborhoods throughout my time in St. Louis and I never felt like I had a need for a car. It might've made certain aspects easier but I think having access to the buses and light rail made a huge difference in my experience. The transportation is significantly better than people tend to give it credit for. Buses run approximately every 30 minutes on the weekdays and the rail runs every 6-10 minutes depending on the time of the day.

I can't thank you enough for your response. I feel a lot better after hearing the honest opinion from someone that has experienced what I would be going through. Now that I know it's doable without sacrificing too much I am seriously considering WUSTL . I'll definitely use your list of neighborhoods when that time come. Thanks for congratulating me on my acceptance! I was shocked I got accepted and that they were offering me a 30K scholarship.

Hi,

I am a current student at ENMU. I will be graduating in December. 

CDIS program is a rigorous program. Be prepared to push yourself, especially in Swift classes. However, once you take few Swift courses you'll find your groove. Swift summer classes are RIDICULOUS, her course work is pushed into 4 weeks of instruction. She'll allow a few weeks to take "outcome exams". 

The program has implemented "outcome exams" which are mini quizzes that align with KASA for each course. Basically, you can have an A in the course and you fail all outcomes at finals, you'll fail the course; or you can have a C at finals, take the exams and pass them all and get an A. The exams can work against you or for you. I have grown to like them because you can go at your own pace to take the exams. This will prepare you for your praxis! 

ENMU is pretty cheap, trust me! That is a big plus because grad school is expensive!

Professors are helpful but, will not hold your hand! They will challenge you and push you to your limits. This will make you a stronger clinician, trust me.

Portales is a very SMALL town, there's really nothing to do. Overall, Portales is a safe community! Most students usually stay at San Juan Village.

CDIS is a heavily research-based program. You will breathe and sweat research! Instead of completing a thesis you will have a research study to conduct. You will do it all. In retrospect, it's not that bad!

The only thing I dislike is the overwhelming anxiety of finding a placement. Although, medical placements are difficult to find due to Medicare Part B. This is pretty much universal across all speech pathology programs. At ENMU you'll get a clinic experience (SHROC), school, birth-3, SNF, and a medical experience (rehab, outpatient, inpatient, or hospital). I really like this because it pushes us out of our comfort zone in a variety of settings! Who knows maybe i'll switch from education to medical after I reach burn out?

I hope this helps! If you have more questions message me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, salsaverde525 said:

Hi,

CDIS program is a rigorous program. Be prepared to push yourself, especially in Swift classes. However, once you take few Swift courses you'll find your groove. Swift summer classes are RIDICULOUS, her course work is pushed into 4 weeks of instruction. She'll allow a few weeks to take "outcome exams". 

The program has implemented "outcome exams" which are mini quizzes that align with KASA for each course. Basically, you can have an A in the course and you fail all outcomes at finals, you'll fail the course; or you can have a C at finals, take the exams and pass them all and get an A. The exams can work against you or for you. I have grown to like them because you can go at your own pace to take the exams. This will prepare you for your praxis! 

ENMU is pretty cheap, trust me! That is a big plus because grad school is expensive!

Professors are helpful but, will not hold your hand! They will challenge you and push you to your limits. This will make you a stronger clinician, trust me.

Portales is a very SMALL town, there's really nothing to do. Overall, Portales is a safe community! Most students usually stay at San Juan Village.

CDIS is a heavily research-based program. You will breathe and sweat research! Instead of completing a thesis you will have a research study to conduct. You will do it all. In retrospect, it's not that bad!

The only thing I dislike is the overwhelming anxiety of finding a placement. Although, medical placements are difficult to find due to Medicare Part B. This is pretty much universal across all speech pathology programs. At ENMU you'll get a clinic experience (SHROC), school, birth-3, SNF, and a medical experience (rehab, outpatient, inpatient, or hospital). I really like this because it pushes us out of our comfort zone in a variety of settings! Who knows maybe i'll switch from education to medical after I reach burn out?

Hi, I had a question! First off thank you for sharing this information! I was accepted for Fall 2021, and I was wondering did you happen to take out any loans? From FASFA or another source? Also would you recommend having a car there for the one semester or is everything walking distance?

Lastly!! Swift, is that a professor? 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, jb1211 said:

Hi, I had a question! First off thank you for sharing this information! I was accepted for Fall 2021, and I was wondering did you happen to take out any loans? From FASFA or another source? Also would you recommend having a car there for the one semester or is everything walking distance?

Lastly!! Swift, is that a professor? 

Thank you! 

I have a question for you! I applied for the 2021 Fall program as well, how long did it take for you to hear back?? 

13 minutes ago, Taylor Garcia said:

I have a question for you! I applied for the 2021 Fall program as well, how long did it take for you to hear back?? 

I applied in October and heard back the first week in Jan. I was accepted for Early Admissions, Spring 2021 ( I needed to take some leveling courses that were not required in my Bachelors degree.) So I think they may be sending out more acceptances for Fall 2021 soon. 

I applied for Fall 2021 and I am taking the CASper test soon. Does anyone know how long they give to accept/decline admission if it's offered? I'm hoping to have a chance to hear back from all of the programs I applied to before making a decision.

Also, I wanted to add this for anyone considering the ENMU SLP program and searching all over the internet for more info, several weeks ago I reached out to a few current students in the program regarding their experience. This is some info I was able to grab from them: 

• The program is very rigorous/time consuming, extremely affordable, heavily research based, and overall a high quality program with great professors.
  • Mandatory on campus residency (based off a campus map it seems like everything is within walking distance, still not sure though) 
  • One student said "be prepared for a research course every semester"
  • Another student said "The professors are great, each have their own teaching style. Courses are all well taught. Exams involve a lot of critical thinking so understanding the information is crucial"
  • Another student said the quality is great, and that she felt like she was getting a well-rounded education and that ENMU prepares you for a variety of settings, not focused mainly on students becoming school based slp's.
  • As for the clinical placements in your area, you create a list of possible placements in your area, and the program will contact/secure the placements for you. 

• 1 month later...
Things St Louis are known for:
-Gooey butter
-Toasted ravioli
-Cardinals baseball
-Blues hockey
-The Arch
-The second largest mardi gras in the country
-the last authentically intact little Italy in the country
-the #1 zoo in the country
-the oldest botanical garden in the western hemisphere
-largest city park in the country (forest park)
-oldest city park west of the Mississippi (lafayette square)
-home of T.S. Eliot, Maya Angelou, Tennessee Williams and Kate Chopin
-most breweries per capita of any city in the united states and home to Anheuser-Busch..
-an emerging hotbed hub of biotech and medical research
-St Louis style BBQ
-St Louis style pizza
-frozen custard
-the first American city to host the olympic games (WashU's Francis Field)
-the most opulent world's fair ever put on
-a blues and jazz music hub
-the oldest outdoor performing stage in the country (MUNY)
....And so on.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone from Canada and apply to this program? Can anyone share stats that have gotten accepted?

Are the classes mostly in the daytime or evenings? Synchronous? 

I'm considering doing a year of levelling courses and then applying, as I wasn't able to secure a spot at the U of A this year. I'm concerned about wasting more time "waiting" to see if next year will be my year with the U of A, plus online courses are my "jam" lately.  

I feel the price isn't that bad, and they sound like they are a viable option without relocating. This is HUGE for me, as I have kids, so one semester away may be doable as opposed to relocating all together! 

Any insights apprecaited! TIA 

Hi! I recently committed to WashU's Audiology program!! I have never been to the city but I am so excited to move to STL! I have wanted to attend WashU for the past few years! Any advice for me in regards of how to look for apartments? The best sites (touristy and not) to check out and just really anything else you can/want to tell me about the city!

On 3/9/2020 at 1:13 PM, Brianna Reeves said:

Hello!

I was recently accepted into ENMU's SLP master's program. Just wondering if anyone has attended/is currently attending/or knows anything about the program, can tell me more about it. How is the school? The people? The professors? More importantly how is their speech program? Any info. would be so helpful!

Thanks in advance!

On 6/11/2020 at 12:37 AM, salsaverde525 said:

Hi,

Hi, all! 

This thread has been extremely helpful! 

Curious if you'd be willing to share your stats? I'm considering doing the leveling and applying to the program. Currently I have a BEd with a special education minor, worked as a teacher, worked as an SLPA and have 'decent' stats.... 

It's SUPERBLY competitive in Canada, and I didn't quite make the cut this year for my hometown uni despite having a fairly competitive application. Trying to stay optimistic that this one will be a good fit and a realistic option for me (despite a full year of coursework ?). TIA.

I was so excited to find this thread! I'm attending WashU in the Fall (PhD in Applied Psych of Learning & Motivation in Dept of Ed), but I've lived in STL since ~2013, and I love to share information about the city. I lived in the downtown STL area for several years, then moved to Clayton 2 years ago. My husband also attended WashU (JD, MBA), so our lives have always revolved around the campus, which we lived 5 minutes from by car. I'm happy to answer any questions about life here, but I don't explore the city as much as I used to when living downtown; Clayton is fairly sleepy, as is most of the county, and we're usually too lazy to drive back into the city to do things. 

For housing, I'd recommend sharing a house near WashU or looking at the new developments in the Delmar Loop. The high-rise buildings in Clayton are great and have lots of studios and 1BRs, but the price is a bit higher. I have a car, but plan on using the Metro to get to campus, which is only feasible if you find housing along its route (St. Louis is anything but walkable, so having a car is great, and traffic isn't an issue).

Any first-timers should visit Forest Park (Boathouse, Amphitheatre, etc.), the Arch, the Central West End, the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Cardinals Stadium, the Blues Stadium, the almost-finished Soccer Stadium, and the Ferris Wheel. For food, the best offerings are generally BBQ (Pappy's and Sugarfire are my personal faves), but there are lots of stand-outs (Lona's Lil Eats, Seedz Cafe, Guerrilla Street Food, The Dam, Pi Pizzeria, Lulu's, Natasha's, Rooster, Bailey's Range, Hi-Pointe Drive-In) that can usually be found in Tower Grove or Central West End. The food is reasonably-priced and the portions are sizeable.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:48 PM, tsomers13 said:

Hi! I recently committed to WashU's Audiology program!! I have never been to the city but I am so excited to move to STL! I have wanted to attend WashU for the past few years! Any advice for me in regards of how to look for apartments? The best sites (touristy and not) to check out and just really anything else you can/want to tell me about the city!

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to WashU. Probably one of the most underrated colleges considering their vast resources they have.

I'd start looking for apartments now. April and May are likely the best months to start looking for apartments and the best places go within hours. Knowing what you want specifically will allow you to stay ahead of the market because it allows you to establish what is and isn't negotiable.

If you can't be there in person for a viewing, it's likely that a current student in your program can visit the place for you and provide photos/feedback on your behalf.

In addition to the places offered above, I'd add the Zoo, Shakespeare in the Park, the old courthouse, the muny, tower grove park and Soulard's Farmer Market.

For food, I'd recommend Felix's Pizza Pub, De Palm Tree, Pharoah’s Donuts, Sweet Art, Fountain on Locust, Salt+Smoke, Rooster, Polite Society, and Blueberry Hill.

For what it's worth, I didn't find a need for a car in St. Louis and I lived there for 6 years. The buses and the light rail will get you to mostly any location where you'd want to be. The biking community was also growing if that's of any interest to you. :)

20 hours ago, Regimentations said:

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to WashU. Probably one of the most underrated colleges considering their vast resources they have.

I'd start looking for apartments now. April and May are likely the best months to start looking for apartments and the best places go within hours. Knowing what you want specifically will allow you to stay ahead of the market because it allows you to establish what is and isn't negotiable.

If you can't be there in person for a viewing, it's likely that a current student in your program can visit the place for you and provide photos/feedback on your behalf.

In addition to the places offered above, I'd add the Zoo, Shakespeare in the Park, the old courthouse, the muny, tower grove park and Soulard's Farmer Market.

For food, I'd recommend Felix's Pizza Pub, De Palm Tree, Pharoah’s Donuts, Sweet Art, Fountain on Locust, Salt+Smoke, Rooster, Polite Society, and Blueberry Hill.

For what it's worth, I didn't find a need for a car in St. Louis and I lived there for 6 years. The buses and the light rail will get you to mostly any location where you'd want to be. The biking community was also growing if that's of any interest to you. :)

Thank you!! I am so so excited to have gotten into WashU and cannot wait to move! I am hoping to be able to find time over the summer to fly down and see St. Louis in person before officially moving so fingers crossed! But thank you so much for all the suggestions! I cannot wait to look into them when I get down there!