Guest guest

St. Louis, MO

On 6/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

I somehow found a place in University City within my budget. It looks big and nice and I am really excited, but living on my own sounds intimidating too. Oh well.

Congratulations! I can promise that living on your own gets less intimidating as time goes on. The nice things about leases is that they're temporary and you can change your living arrangements afterwards. :)

On 4/2/2018 at 9:59 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Everybody: is there a substantial difference between Skinker Debaliviere and University City (North of Delmar across WashU's North Campus)? The Skinker place I am looking at is cheaper and frankly the difference between services offered is minimal so I am leaning towards there, but I am concerned about safety and such. 

I've also heard north of Delmar it can get rough, so I guess I'm wondering about safety for both places.

I'm not considering elsewhere, I want to be within walking distance due to lack of a car (someone suggested Pasadena Hills in another website, lol).

Current grad students were lukewarm or against housing with Quadrangle but their places seemed fine for me, and it would be just easier for me.

Hey! I live in Skinker Debaliviere. I have also visited friends in U city north of Delmar by Wash U. 

I think both areas are similar in terms of crime (this is my very unscientific perception/experience). You wont be exposed to violent crimes in these areas. However, due to the high residential density and the fact that they are adjacent to "tougher" areas, both neighborhoods are targets for crimes such as car break-ins (very common in Skinker Debaliviere) and the occasional robbery. I have not had any issues myself, but I do hear about these crimes often. 

You are right about north of Delmar having a bad reputation. It is, in fact, a low-income area with a high-crime rate. However, I don't think the "Delmar Divide" applies north of Delmar near Wash U/The Loop because there are so many students, businesses, and families in the area. 

Here's what I will say about Skinker Debalieviere:

I like living here because its nice and close to the park. There are two cafes in the area, but they are only open in the morning and they are nothing to rave about. Although the neighborhood is close to CWE, its not necessarily walking distance. We don't have a good restaurant or bar to walk to, which is a bummer. Now, that being said, you have Forest Park that you can walk to, and there are always people walking their dogs in the neighborhood (if you area  dog owner). 

If you are looking for a neighborhood that has bars/restaurants you can walk to, the i would say U City is a better bet. If you want a quieter, perhaps more walkable neighborhood, Skinker Debaliviere is your bet. 

On 4/3/2018 at 1:50 PM, kitcassidance said:

Hi!  Have done a decent amount of research already, but it's hard to get a feel for places from google alone.  Anyone have suggestiosn for neighborhoods with apartments that are (rank order priorities):
1) dog-friendly 
2) affordable (ideally under $1000 for a 2bd) 
3) reasonably safe 
4) have in unit w/d
5) exposed brick if we're picking and choosing
6) garage access 

Anyone have suggestions?  Or neighborhoods I should definitely steer clear of? 

This is probably too late to be useful for you, but if you haven't found a place yet, I recommend getting in contact with FrontDoor! They were our landlords for the last two years... They tick every checkbox on your list (although there's a pretty decent jump in housing quality if you can push your budget from $1000 to $1100), they have a bunch of dog-friendly properties around town, and they're genuinely the best property managers my husband and I have ever had. Plus, they rent most of their properties in the Grove, and there's nowhere else I'd rather live in STL. Let me know if you have any questions, and best of luck!