Guest guest

St. Louis, MO

1 hour ago, KR Marksmen said:

Delmar Loop is a great area. Lots of food and entertainment. That being said, just like every city, you have to learn the safe and not so safe areas. If you stay within the loop you should be fine. Same goes for most of the popular student living areas (CWE, Delmar/U City). To me St Louis is very easy to tell you are in an area you "shouldn't be in", you'll recognize that your surroundings have drastically changed.

Most of my student friends live in/around the loop, in the central west end, or by debaliviere/forest park(Recommend waiting to move to this area until after your first year). If you find a place in either of those though public transportation won't be an issue. Students have free access to metro/subway and you can get to most things you need (school, grocery store, entertainment) in less than 10 minutes. Walkability is great and even with cars most of us (that being my classmates) rarely use them for normal day to day. 

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

Thank you, this helps a lot! I'll send you a PM if I have other questions.

Everybody: is there a substantial difference between Skinker Debaliviere and University City (North of Delmar across WashU's North Campus)? The Skinker place I am looking at is cheaper and frankly the difference between services offered is minimal so I am leaning towards there, but I am concerned about safety and such. 

I've also heard north of Delmar it can get rough, so I guess I'm wondering about safety for both places.

I'm not considering elsewhere, I want to be within walking distance due to lack of a car (someone suggested Pasadena Hills in another website, lol).

Current grad students were lukewarm or against housing with Quadrangle but their places seemed fine for me, and it would be just easier for me.

Hi!  Have done a decent amount of research already, but it's hard to get a feel for places from google alone.  Anyone have suggestiosn for neighborhoods with apartments that are (rank order priorities):
1) dog-friendly 
2) affordable (ideally under $1000 for a 2bd) 
3) reasonably safe 
4) have in unit w/d
5) exposed brick if we're picking and choosing
6) garage access 

Anyone have suggestions?  Or neighborhoods I should definitely steer clear of? 

On 4/3/2018 at 5:59 AM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

Everybody: is there a substantial difference between Skinker Debaliviere and University City (North of Delmar across WashU's North Campus)? The Skinker place I am looking at is cheaper and frankly the difference between services offered is minimal so I am leaning towards there, but I am concerned about safety and such. 

I've also heard north of Delmar it can get rough, so I guess I'm wondering about safety for both places.

I'm not considering elsewhere, I want to be within walking distance due to lack of a car (someone suggested Pasadena Hills in another website, lol).

Current grad students were lukewarm or against housing with Quadrangle but their places seemed fine for me, and it would be just easier for me.

Hey there, I will be also attending Washu this Fall.

What did the grad students say exactly about Quadrangle? I've just rented an apartment in University City from them (going in August) and seeing this post makes me worried now.

Edited by TheStLucas

48 minutes ago, TheStLucas said:

Hey there, I will be also attending Washu this Fall.

What did the grad students say exactly about Quadrangle? I've just rented an apartment in University City from them (going in August) and seeing this post makes me worried now.

They said they're not the best when it comes to maintenance and such. I was looking at Yelp reviews and that seems to be a common complaint, too. Given how most of their places are filled, I wouldn't give that too much weight, though. Their places seem comfortable and convenient and as a first year that's just what I need.

46 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

They said they're not the best when it comes to maintenance and such. I was looking at Yelp reviews and that seems to be a common complaint, too. Given how most of their places are filled, I wouldn't give that too much weight, though. Their places seem comfortable and convenient and as a first year that's just what I need.

Hmm, I see. Mine is also very close to the uni and all utilities are included in the rent, so that's a big plus. The only downside is that it's unfurnished.

I'm an undergraduate at Saint Louis University and have absolutely fallen in love with the city! It reminds me a lot of home (I'm from another mid-size river city, Cincinnati), but is in and of itself unique. 

The cost of living in Saint Louis is relatively low and very doable. Apartments near where I live in midtown are ~$1000 a month for a two bedroom with two bathrooms, furniture, and electric/wifi/water/etc. Groceries are also pretty inexpensive depending on where you go; my boyfriend and I go to Schnuck's, which is pretty comparable to Kroger prices back home. It helps that a lot of the activities in Saint Louis (the history museum, art museum, zoo, etc.) are all free. You can do quite a bit in Saint Louis for very little money. 

There are really great, cool neighborhoods to check out in STL as well. I just did an internship in the Italian neighborhood, called the Hill, which is pretty well-known for its restaurants and the fact that it's where Yogi Berra was born. There are also some great bakeries and stores there as well; I particularly like Herbaria, which is a store that sells homemade vegan soap. A lot of people, I think, just write the neighborhood off as a quaint place where the restaurants are, but it's definitely worth exploring. The Loop, near WashU, is a cool, trendy area with a lot of cool shops; Central West End is also pretty cool and trendy, if you're into that. There's also a Bosnian neighborhood (Bevo Mill), since St. Louis has the largest Bosnian population outside of Sarajevo. Of course, downtown is great, and there are places in the neighboring county which are worth a day trip. I'm particularly fond of Saint Charles; my boyfriend is from there, and we spent a day exploring their downtown and the Lewis and Clark museum. It was quaint and really enjoyable. 

Saint Louis has some great food options as well. My personal favorites are Amighetti's (sandwich place), Marconi Bakery (they're a small pizza shop with great cannoli), Pickleman's (soups/salads/sandwiches/pizza), the Fountain on Locust (they have a really nice atmosphere), Peacock Diner (just a fun little diner in the Loop), Yiro Gyro, and Mission Taco. There are also some good dessert kinds of places: Clementine's (small creamery with non-traditional flavors, including boozy ones), Missouri Bakery (good little bakery), etc. 

As for public transport, it's pretty reliable and I've never had trouble with the bus or the train. I rode the bus alone every week (sometimes twice a week) and never had an issue. I also rode the train alone at night downtown and didn't feel unsafe. Having a car wouldn't be the worst thing; it's easier to get around via car than it is via train, and having a car gives you more access to things in St. Louis County or across the river in Illinois. 

Safety-wise, I've never really felt unsafe in the city. I think that the bad neighborhoods (especially East St. Louis) get combined with St. Louis crime statistics and give the city a bad rep. It's not a bad place at all, and has a lot of great history that people don't really ever think about. 

On 4/3/2018 at 2:50 PM, kitcassidance said:

Hi!  Have done a decent amount of research already, but it's hard to get a feel for places from google alone.  Anyone have suggestiosn for neighborhoods with apartments that are (rank order priorities):
1) dog-friendly 
2) affordable (ideally under $1000 for a 2bd) 
3) reasonably safe 
4) have in unit w/d
5) exposed brick if we're picking and choosing
6) garage access 

Anyone have suggestions?  Or neighborhoods I should definitely steer clear of? 

Try the Standard in Midtown maybe? My friend lives there and her rent is out $931 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. She has a cat, but they're dog friendly. It's a nice area (I live there). 

15 hours ago, historygeek said:

Try the Standard in Midtown maybe? My friend lives there and her rent is out $931 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. She has a cat, but they're dog friendly. It's a nice area (I live there). 

Hi!  Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, those prices are per-bed rents, and I'll be moving with my husband.  I'd definitely keep this in mind if I was looking for a roommate though!  Thanks again :)