NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

If it's Tuesday, my thesis draft for my defense is due the day after.  Great timing.  ugh.  

I feel like we should all pour a shot and keep it on the nightstand for 3 AM. lol.

I just went through like 15 pages from last year's thread--all in a couple hours leading up to the release around 3am. Based on posts, there were supposedly 500-600 people online at the time reading the thread and passing the time. So if that's any indication, may be a lot of us on here again this year come--I'm assuming--~12-3am Tuesday.

Hi all,

Just a few words of advice. Panicked about the award announcements? Go for a run, go make a mug of tea, whatever it takes to get out of your head. Don't let it ruin your weekend, and don't stay up all night for the announcement.

I applied last year, made myself sick worrying about decisions, and was bitterly disappointed when I didn't even get an honorable mention with all VG/E reviews. Actually, mostly I was disappointed that I had stressed myself out and still had to go to campus after staying up all night refreshing my email. But I was fortunate enough to get past the setback and find plenty of funding elsewhere, through my department and through other small sources.

I applied again for this year, but instead of the panicking oh-god-what-if-this-ruins-my-graduate-career response for the next bunch of days, I am choosing to block related websites until the decisions are actually out. I wish someone had given me this advice last year, but I'm glad to know it this time around. So trust me on this: calm it down, and get out of your head. And congratulations to this year's winners!

Hi all,

Just a few words of advice. Panicked about the award announcements? Go for a run, go make a mug of tea, whatever it takes to get out of your head. Don't let it ruin your weekend, and don't stay up all night for the announcement.

I applied last year, made myself sick worrying about decisions, and was bitterly disappointed when I didn't even get an honorable mention with all VG/E reviews. Actually, mostly I was disappointed that I had stressed myself out and still had to go to campus after staying up all night refreshing my email. But I was fortunate enough to get past the setback and find plenty of funding elsewhere, through my department and through other small sources.

I applied again for this year, but instead of the panicking oh-god-what-if-this-ruins-my-graduate-career response for the next bunch of days, I am choosing to block related websites until the decisions are actually out. I wish someone had given me this advice last year, but I'm glad to know it this time around. So trust me on this: calm it down, and get out of your head. And congratulations to this year's winners!

Yep, it's just a lottery with a higher-than-average chance of success; really the best way to treat this whole thing. Shouldn't impact the day-to-day.

I'm planning on trying to sleep through Monday night, but I thought it would be cool to be woken up right away if I happen to win it.

I wrote a quick python script and put on it github here https://github.com/luketaverne/StressReducer. Put your name in (and change my youtube video url if you want to), and have it run periodically with cron (on mac/linux), and if your name is in the winner list it will open and play your YouTube video.

Good luck everyone!

I'm planning on trying to sleep through Monday night, but I thought it would be cool to be woken up right away if I happen to win it.

I wrote a quick python script and put on it github here https://github.com/luketaverne/StressReducer. Put your name in (and change my youtube video url if you want to), and have it run periodically with cron (on mac/linux), and if your name is in the winner list it will open and play your YouTube video.

Good luck everyone!

But now we'll be up all night expecting any little noise to be our YouTube video :(

Good luck everyone!

I wrote a script and used it last year  :P Another option is to use Page Monitor (Chrome app), since as soon as FastLane is up, the results come out!

There is maintenance on the site scheduled for both tonight AND tomorrow night!! What does it mean? Which one will it be??

I think the maintenance was for 12 - 8 am this morning, so it is already over.