NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

I wish I lived on the west coast. I could stay up until midnight, but not 3am. I'll be dead tomorrow by lunch time.

I'm a programmer and a night owl with a project due soon, so I know I'll still be up when the announcement comes. (Knowing me, though, I'll likely get engrossed in the code and forget to check until, like, 4:30 am.) In other news, we've crossed the 300 lurkers mark. Group picture, everyone, cheers!

oVyT9Xy.png

(If this is considered inappropriate, mods, please delete or edit, my apologies.)

I never really thought about how this could be a crap shoot until the other day. I was reading through last year's thread, and someone got something like VG/VG, E/VG, and F/F... and that F/F came from someone who focused on one single sentence that they didn't like.

I now feel like this is going to end up like the review process for a paper I submitted... one reviewer gave me some great constructive comments, the other person didn't even read the paper and their comments made no sense.

Crap shoot is right. Last year I received E/E, E/E, E/VG and received an Honorable Mention.

I'm a programmer and a night owl with a project due soon, so I know I'll still be up when the announcement comes. (Knowing me, though, I'll likely get engrossed in the code and forget to check until, like, 4:30 am.) 

Yeah, I'm working on writing my thesis while periodically checking the cafe. Chances are I'll still be awake at 2:00 my mind will be too busy to fall asleep.

I'm really hoping the universe continues to treat me well today. I got an official acceptance to a program I really want to attend, so it would be an awesome conclusion to today if I got it. C'mon, universe!

I think I'm going to go watch a few episodes of the Blacklist to distract me for the next few hours.

Or any other good Netflix show suggestions?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is hysterical. Or if you want drama, Peaky Blinders. 

You'll have a PDF document in your FastLane account containing comprehensive feedback from each reviewer with the strong and weak points of your application. Usually you'll have info from 2-3 reviewers.

That's actually a huge relief. If you don't get it one year you can legitimately consider the feedback and apply the next year. Way cool. Transparency is awesome.

Also, someone asked about other people who aren't already in grad school. I've been working for three years. There were only a few fellowships that let me apply as someone no longer in school but about to return (NSF, Hertz, NDSEG). Didn't get the Hertz obviously because apparently the Hertz is a unicorn.

Edited by thissiteispoison

This is the last year I'm eligible, and also the only year I applied. All or nothing. :/

Are you a first or second year grad student? Because I think the criteria was something like "Less than 12 months of graduate study by August 1st"... So if you're a first year, you can technically apply again. I didn't realize initially.

I recommend Steven Universe to anyone who needs cute, 12-minute bursts of pick-me-ups right now. :) It's funny and charming!

Edit: Oh, and it's all online for free on Cartoon Network! :D

Edited by PhDerp