Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

All of mine are in! Already had an interview with UMaryland. They mostly asked about content from my Personal Statement, such as research interests, my reasons for pursuing ethnomusicology, and why their university was a good fit for me. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Moon2593

• 3 weeks later...

According to the results posting, it should be about two weeks until a lot of schools start sending out their first rounds of acceptances! Anyone have any news yet (good or bad...hopefully good)?

Nothing yet. Although a professor, out of nowhere, started following me on Academia.edu. I know it's dumb, but it was really exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone's handling the waiting well so far. I've felt surprisingly relaxed about it all until this week, but now that I know that decisions are likely to come anytime from now on, I'm quite distracted by the whole thing. I've had a bunch of invitations to interview, and one rejection so far, but have yet to get an acceptance. 

I thought I'd post here just in the spirit of "misery loves company" - we'll all hear soon, just maybe not soon enough!

Best of luck to all,

SirTom

I completely agree SirTom! I've become more and more nervous this week, as it appears most schools to which I applied will notify of acceptances soon. It's making it difficult to get work done!

The interviews are even scarier. It'll really be rough getting a rejection from schools that have interviewed me...knowing that I was that close.

So exciting to find a thread to do with Musicology and ethnomusicology!

I'm applying for Masters and PhD programs in historical musicology - currently I'm at McGill U in Montreal. I applied to McGill, U of Toronto, Stony Brook, Cornell, Columbia and Yale. 

I'm really curious about this whole interview thing, because when I applied, there was no mention of interviews on the websites. I'm hoping that if I make it past first round that I'll maybe get an email requesting an interview... it would at least make me feel like the process is moving forward.

This waiting game is crazy!

When do you all think the latest acceptances are for U.S. and Canada?

I didn't apply to any music theory programs but I have a friend of a friend (I know this sounds shady) who has been rejected from Indiana and Eastman.

Congrats to the Brown ethno admits!

Oh thanks! Haha, I was rejected from IU for both a Master's and PhD. It hurts a little bit. (I didn't apply to Eastman).

It's a little bit frustrating. Theory people seem to be MIA, so I have no idea if I am in a good position or bad position. LOL. Good luck with your apps. :-)

Just came back from interview at IU... They said in most cases those who are accepted would be offered AI (TA,GA) position. The same person also said "there's no reason why you would not be accepted".... so waiting for a happy news from IU. Anyone know the financial package at IU? What the monthly salary is like? 

So exciting to find a thread to do with Musicology and ethnomusicology!

I'm applying for Masters and PhD programs in historical musicology - currently I'm at McGill U in Montreal. I applied to McGill, U of Toronto, Stony Brook, Cornell, Columbia and Yale. 

I'm really curious about this whole interview thing, because when I applied, there was no mention of interviews on the websites. I'm hoping that if I make it past first round that I'll maybe get an email requesting an interview... it would at least make me feel like the process is moving forward.

This waiting game is crazy!

When do you all think the latest acceptances are for U.S. and Canada?

I applied to U of T and McGill.... I'm Canadian.. Canadian universities tend to announce admission decisions really late..... I think. even into April, in some cases. I'm still waiting for McGill to process the initial step so I can upload my personal statement and resume, etc.

Hmm... Don't know much about Stony Brook, but the lack of funding sounds worrisome.  If you apply there, you should be prepared for the possibility of not getting funding (hopefully that won't happen though!).  Are you applying to other programs that do guarantee funding?

Hi Karajan,

Thanks for your reply and I am sorry for my silence. I have been away for quite some time. Yes, all other 5 institutions to which I applied have guaranteed funding. I ended up applying anyway. I still did not hear from them. We will see…

Just came back from interview at IU... They said in most cases those who are accepted would be offered AI (TA,GA) position. The same person also said "there's no reason why you would not be accepted".... so waiting for a happy news from IU. Anyone know the financial package at IU? What the monthly salary is like? 

I've heard it's not amazing (at least for Theory), like there's a chance you'll have to get another job to make ends meet at some point. I've also heard of them giving 95% tuition packages, but I think that's what you get if you don't win a fellowship/TA position.

Edit: Keep in mind these are all "I've heard"s. 

Edited by plasticities

I've heard it's not amazing (at least for Theory), like there's a chance you'll have to get another job to make ends meet at some point. I've also heard of them giving 95% tuition packages, but I think that's what you get if you don't win a fellowship/TA position.

Edit: Keep in mind these are all "I've heard"s. 

I know that TA position comes with 96.5% tuition remission, but 3.5% is still over $1000/year that I'd have to pay out of my pocket. I'm just wondering what the monthly salary is like.. Meh. But yeah I'd think that it's not amazing. Outside of Ivy leagues+Berkeley+Stanford, I think it's rare to see more than 10k/year in salary after paying off fees and tuition

I know that TA position comes with 96.5% tuition remission, but 3.5% is still over $1000/year that I'd have to pay out of my pocket. I'm just wondering what the monthly salary is like.. Meh. But yeah I'd think that it's not amazing. Outside of Ivy leagues+Berkeley+Stanford, I think it's rare to see more than 10k/year in salary after paying off fees and tuition

There's quite a few others. UChicago, UCLA (if you're a US student), NYU... I didn't look too closely at a whole lot of programs, but I found plenty of options where you could live comfortably off the stipend with no tuition-related outgoings.

Any composers waiting to hear from places?

I know that for some of my schools it's getting close to the "no news is bad news" time frame. That is, I'm pretty sure that at two of the programs to which I have applied usually call or email their chosen candidates in late-January or early February. It's still too early to assume the worst, but if they don't get in touch by February 15th, that most likely means rejection. 

Hope everyone's weathering the waiting season well, and that we all get the good news we're hoping for!

cheers,

ST

Just reading this thread made me anxious, and I'm in my PhD program already. Sheesh. Good luck everyone, try to relax as much as possible, and it'll all be over in the only somewhat distant future.

Hey guys -- happy admit season.

(May it pass us quickly and successfully.)

Just wondering -- does anyone know approximately how many people apply to musicology and/or ethnomusicology on average each season? I'm sure that it varies a little bit by program, but any intel for any program would at least be a jumping off point. I know that programs usually take 2-5 people, but is that out of 50 or 150 or even more? I have absolutely no grasp on what admission statistics look like for our discipline.

And congrats to people who have already heard back for ethno! 

This was from Yale University webpage. It was awhile ago that I had saved to my computer. Doesn't say musicology specifically. Yale PhD in music includes Ethno, Theory and Musicology.... am I correct? Comp at Yale is DMA through School of Music. 

375616_10150383869446969_328764653_n.jpg