Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

See you in March :) It's nice here, except the snow.

Thanks :) see you then! I've only been in snow once before (when I was performing at Carnegie Hall last year) so I still have a love for snow - but I'm sure a harsh winter will soon sort that out!

Thanks :) see you then! I've only been in snow once before (when I was performing at Carnegie Hall last year) so I still have a love for snow - but I'm sure a harsh winter will soon sort that out!

Yeah, I used to think it was fun...skiing, snow angels etc. Actually, more like hell on earth in these quantities. 

does anybody here have any idea if Northwestern Music Theory and Cognition requests interviews for the PhD program, and if so, when they send out their requests?
It seems like it should have been sent out by now

Edited by thcg2015

Hey, just letting you two know that I was extended an invitation to interview last month for Northwestern and the actual interviews are next week....soo....sorry about that.

Your interview is in Ethnomusicology or in Theory? I think that might make a difference.

Anyone on here have past experiences with grad school interviews? I have one next weekend.

I've had plenty of job interviews, but never an admissions interview

Anyone on here have past experiences with grad school interviews? I have one next weekend.

I've had plenty of job interviews, but never an admissions interview

I think a lot of us have.. which school? congrats for the interview

Thanks. I don't want to say the name of the school, the internet makes me a bit paranoid. 

Not a "big name" school, but nonetheless, a good opportunity. 

Just curious as to the experiences some you have had. if any. (No school names necessary)  :)

Thanks. I don't want to say the name of the school, the internet makes me a bit paranoid. 

Just curious as to the experiences some you have had. if any. (No school names necessary)  :)

Any past or present U of Toronto MA ethnomusicology students out there? I've applied to U of T for the fall and I have some questions about the program (specifically about the major paper elective) to which I can't seem to find the answers on the uni website...

I'm on the same boat.. Not really big schools.

When I was doing my masters I learned that even from 'small' schools there are a lot of great things.

Not to offend anyone but one of my undergrad profs was absolutely terrible (yale phd, bragged a lot too) while profs from smaller schools seem to work even harder because of their 'inferior' academic background.

I'm not applying for composition (studied comp. as undergrad though) but there are some prestigious composition programs around the country that I really can't stand. But I also saw many great composers coming out from 'smaller' programs too. I sometimes wonder if composers are distracted by rigorous academic curriculum at big names and not able to spend enough time on compositions..

Hey everybody! I noticed that someone posted about a Yale Musicology PhD interview... does that mean that they have already offered the Yale Theory PhD interviews as well? 

Also, any news on Harvard or Columbia?

Best luck to everyone!

Hey everybody! I noticed that someone posted about a Yale Musicology PhD interview... does that mean that they have already offered the Yale Theory PhD interviews as well? 

Also, any news on Harvard or Columbia?

Best luck to everyone!

I had a Harvard interview a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard from Columbia yet.