Applying for Fall 2015

CP3

I contacted Princeton to inquire about my status on the wait list and received a reply saying that the people on the wait list are not in any particular order. What is that about? Is their wait list really just a formality, since no one ever declines their offer?

They probably assess the wait-list as spots open; people do turn down Princeton.  Someone in my current program did. 

Any advice for turning down offers? Particularly with a university with which you have been corresponding?

It came down to school A and B and I've been emailing back and forth with both, but decided on school A. I don't want it to seem like I was simply "leading them on," especially since I'd still like to work with one professor in the future (they're in my subfield).

Hi everyone,

I'm in a similar situation. I've decided to accept the offer from a specific school, but I don't want to be rude with the other professors, especially since one of them is very important in my area.

Any advice for turning down offers? Particularly with a university with which you have been corresponding?

It came down to school A and B and I've been emailing back and forth with both, but decided on school A. I don't want it to seem like I was simply "leading them on," especially since I'd still like to work with one professor in the future (they're in my subfield).

Hi everyone,

I'm in a similar situation. I've decided to accept the offer from a specific school, but I don't want to be rude with the other professors, especially since one of them is very important in my area.

Here's what I ended up doing: 

--Thanked them for the honor of admission 

--Told them how much respect I have for their faculty/dept, and said how much I would have surely learned as a graduate student there 

--Said that, after much deliberation, I chose X school 

--Said that I hope we can stay in touch and I look forward to future contact with the fabulous students/faculty at their school 

Sent this type of note (individually, not a mass email) to all of the faculty I met at each school I visited/was admitted to.

Any news about composition programs from NYU GSAS & Cornell?

I saw one admission report of Cornell, and heard that they only offer 1 spot this year.

Was wondering if NYU GSAS already contacted their admitted applicants...

It's best to tell these schools that you have accepted another offer as they have people on wait-lists they would very much like like to contact in this circumstance. This is far more polite than silence. Those students on the wait-list would like it very much, too. 

Have you heard anything yet? USC is the last school I am waiting for and I'm not sure if I should pester them for a response.  

I heard that some years they don't even take anyone.

Does anyone else here have experience at USC or know if they do interviews?

I'm waiting on USC, as well. I haven't heard anything from anyone else . . . 

It's best to tell these schools that you have accepted another offer as they have people on wait-lists they would very much like like to contact in this circumstance. This is far more polite than silence. Those students on the wait-list would like it very much, too. 

I'll second this. I was on a wait-list and was waiting until 3:30pm on April 15th for a person who was accepted to finally make their decision. That was somewhat unpleasant. 

I'll second this. I was on a wait-list and was waiting until 3:30pm on April 15th for a person who was accepted to finally make their decision. That was somewhat unpleasant. 

But on the other hand, don't feel obliged to rush into a decision. I had a really tough time deciding last year and made my pick about 3 days before the deadline. My decision actually changed around maybe April 10, and I'm very glad that I held out til I had all the info I needed rather than being pressured into choosing early just for the sake of wait lists. In the end, if you got a bunch of good offers you deserve to be in that position of making a call, and doing it on your own schedule. Once you have accepted an offer somewhere then yes, by all means the polite thing to do is to inform your other choices.

But on the other hand, don't feel obliged to rush into a decision. I had a really tough time deciding last year and made my pick about 3 days before the deadline. My decision actually changed around maybe April 10, and I'm very glad that I held out til I had all the info I needed rather than being pressured into choosing early just for the sake of wait lists. In the end, if you got a bunch of good offers you deserve to be in that position of making a call, and doing it on your own schedule. Once you have accepted an offer somewhere then yes, by all means the polite thing to do is to inform your other choices.

How do you maneuver through these last minute wait lists? I have 3 acceptances and 3 wait lists, and really want to wait it out. Did you receive a phone call at 3:30pm on April 15 and then had to change your decision? Did you end up emailing/calling your declined/accepted schools, since you didn't have enough time to mail your reply?

How do you maneuver through these last minute wait lists? I have 3 acceptances and 3 wait lists, and really want to wait it out. Did you receive a phone call at 3:30pm on April 15 and then had to change your decision? Did you end up emailing/calling your declined/accepted schools, since you didn't have enough time to mail your reply?

I didn't apply to very many places (in hindsight, it was stupid of me to not apply to more schools but I eventually got in to my top pick anyways, so it didn't matter in the end), so by mid-March I knew it was down to either staying at the school I was already at or getting in to a different school off the wait list. The faculty were really supportive and understanding that if I got into the place where I was waitlisted that I was going to go, which made things a little easier. I got an email around 3:30 on the 15th from the wait-list school and emailed back the response immediately, it wasn't a big deal for them for the decision to be sent by email rather than post.

Best of luck on waiting it out (it worked for me!), and from what I understand it's really rare for it to actually go down to the last hours of the last day for decisions to be made. I would try to trim down your list by around the end of March and just be transparent with the school contacts about what's going on -- they know how the game works, and they'll be understanding if you're waiting on wait-list decisions to make your final choice, but they'll also definitely appreciate it if you can keep them in the loop.

Glad to see most of music applicants on here are hearing good news. I'm getting a little edgy because it's been 3 weeks since I received my "unofficial" acceptance from the head of the department and have yet to receive my "official" acceptance from the University. Also, waiting to hear about funding. Should hear back any day.

I'm also waiting on a wait-list from another school. Not exactly a wait-list, they told me I wasn't getting interviewed, but they would possibly reconsider my application later in March. Sounds like if some of the interviewed applicants don't pan out, then they will look at my file.

Anyone else still waiting on official acceptance letters and funding???

Glad to see most of music applicants on here are hearing good news. I'm getting a little edgy because it's been 3 weeks since I received my "unofficial" acceptance from the head of the department and have yet to receive my "official" acceptance from the University. Also, waiting to hear about funding. Should hear back any day.

I'm also waiting on a wait-list from another school. Not exactly a wait-list, they told me I wasn't getting interviewed, but they would possibly reconsider my application later in March. Sounds like if some of the interviewed applicants don't pan out, then they will look at my file.

Anyone else still waiting on official acceptance letters and funding???

Yes from Indiana and Toronto

• 5 weeks later...

I had a major curve ball thrown my way last night... A positive one though  :) But this means that I still haven't committed.

So is it safe to assume that everyone has a "home" for next fall? 

Are you leaving the New York area?