Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Thanks, jujubea!

This morning, I woke up from a dream where my top POI emailed me to say that my work and my research questions were the same pedestrian attempts at scholarship they see each year. Good times!

Awwww, and admittedly hahaha.

That, for current lack of desire to sound eloquent, blows.

Aren't dreams excellent at reminding us what our deepest worries are? Gotta hand it to the brain. 

Really brain? Come on! We're supposed to be in this together!

I know, right? I was equally irritated and amused when I woke up. It was definitely a WTF moment. 

All things considered, if that's my worst fear at the moment, I'm fine.

But yes, I wish my brain would focus on improving my SOP rather than denigrating it at this point.

How are your applications going?

This morning, I woke up from a dream where my top POI emailed me to say that my work and my research questions were the same pedestrian attempts at scholarship they see each year. Good times!

Last week I had a dream that I got in a car accident, which caused me to miss a meeting with a potential POI. I had a panic attack IN THE DREAM. 

Waking up was a relief, though. 

This USC early deadline is actually turning out to be a good thing, it's forcing me to get my ducks in a row far earlier than I would have otherwise so I'm catching lots of potential areas of improvement. 

Not looking forward to GRE attempt #2 in early November. 

This USC early deadline is actually turning out to be a good thing, it's forcing me to get my ducks in a row far earlier than I would have otherwise so I'm catching lots of potential areas of improvement. 

Not looking forward to GRE attempt #2 in early November. 

Too bad about that dream but I am relieved that I'm not the only one. 

I'm finding the exact opposite. The USC deadline is ruining my timeline and making me much more stressed out than I need to be (i.e. more than I already am about everything else). 

I know, right? I was equally irritated and amused when I woke up. It was definitely a WTF moment. 

All things considered, if that's my worst fear at the moment, I'm fine.

But yes, I wish my brain would focus on improving my SOP rather than denigrating it at this point.

How are your applications going?

Slowly but surely.

I had a lot of work to catch up on after taking off for a week of campus visits... The visits were great, but now I feel I'm quite far behind on my apps!

Slowly but surely.

I had a lot of work to catch up on after taking off for a week of campus visits... The visits were great, but now I feel I'm quite far behind on my apps!

I feel you. I took a week or so off to work on the two research projects for which I am assisting. Necessary and usually I love working on the research but it's hard to manage teaching, working, researching, freelance work, and grad apps at the same time. 

I could cry thinking about December but, tbh, the waiting will probably be worse. Yay April?

I feel you. I took a week or so off to work on the two research projects for which I am assisting. Necessary and usually I love working on the research but it's hard to manage teaching, working, researching, freelance work, and grad apps at the same time. 

I could cry thinking about December but, tbh, the waiting will probably be worse. Yay April?

I have a feeling the waiting is going to be WAY worse.

And, April? I don't know! If you check out the database on here, a lot of the funded decisions come out in February! At least for the remaining contenders on my list. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Yes, the earlier the better. I have seen some as early as January but, technically, they have until April 15. All I know is that at least this will be settled by April 16.

... That is so sad when you write it out. 

Currently putting together a USC application and thought I'd join the fun! The November deadline is killing me as Im still waiting for my official MA results so don't have an official transcript to send over to the US - when is the deadline for that again - I thought I read the 10th somewhere??

Also one short of LoRs at the moment as my MA prof is being slow.

Stressful week ahead I think!

Currently putting together a USC application and thought I'd join the fun! The November deadline is killing me as Im still waiting for my official MA results so don't have an official transcript to send over to the US - when is the deadline for that again - I thought I read the 10th somewhere??

According to their admissions rep, the 10th but it doesn't sound to-the-day strict. They used "within a reasonable amount of time" a few times when explaining their process.

Also one short of LoRs at the moment as my MA prof is being slow.

Stressful week ahead I think!

Don't worry about the MA thing. I had not even started to write my MA-thesis by the time I was accepted... :) Just make sure to have some documents outlining your good progress 

Dear All,

I'm currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Hong Kong department of Comparative Literature under the supervision of Esther Yau and Gina Marchetti. I am conducting cultural studies research of globalization and migration through film. I am an American citizen and did my undergraduate at Berkeley in Film Studies and English.

I'd like to offer my advisory services free of charge, specifically for those interested in studying abroad for their doctorates. My experiences have been formative at HKU, which is much better resourced than nearly all US institutions and serves as an international hub for social, political, and dare I say, theoretical activity. PM me if you want to know more. I want to help talented scholars from the US interested in more cosmopolitan educational, research and teaching experiences. I'm happy to discuss my personal experiences as a scholar living abroad. I've taken the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference...

Good luck to all of you!

best regards,

Jason

USC deadline tomorrow. How's everyone doing?

I'm great.  Got my PS edited by five people, writing sample edited by two others, all of test scores and official and unofficial transcripts sent.  I also talked with a professor there on the phone earlier this week.  Hopefully I'll get an offer, but I'm rather doubtful.  Anyone have any ideas what the cutoff scores are there?

How about you?

Dear All,

I'm currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Hong Kong department of Comparative Literature under the supervision of Esther Yau and Gina Marchetti. I am conducting cultural studies research of globalization and migration through film. I am an American citizen and did my undergraduate at Berkeley in Film Studies and English.

I'd like to offer my advisory services free of charge, specifically for those interested in studying abroad for their doctorates. My experiences have been formative at HKU, which is much better resourced than nearly all US institutions and serves as an international hub for social, political, and dare I say, theoretical activity. PM me if you want to know more. I want to help talented scholars from the US interested in more cosmopolitan educational, research and teaching experiences. I'm happy to discuss my personal experiences as a scholar living abroad. I've taken the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference...

Good luck to all of you!

best regards,

Jason

Did you get funding through HKU or was it external?

I'm great.  Got my PS edited by five people, writing sample edited by two others, all of test scores and official and unofficial transcripts sent.  I also talked with a professor there on the phone earlier this week.  Hopefully I'll get an offer, but I'm rather doubtful.  Anyone have any ideas what the cutoff scores are there?

How about you?

They published their incoming PhD student GRE scores on the site, they're pretty damn high. Median combined is 317.

http://annenberg.usc.edu/Prospective/Doctoral/~/media/2013%20Prospective/Documents/ClassProfilePhDCommunication.ashx

I feel pretty good about my 'SC app overall. I met with a POI last week, I've been working on my SOP for months, my GRE score is decent and already sent, and all my transcripts are in. 

I'm more nervous about the Stanford application coming in December. I'm retaking the GRE for that. 

Does anyone know what TIME the USC app is due, exactly? I couldn't find a time on the site. I'm assuming midnight, Nov. 1st, PST?

Edited by grad_wannabe

They published their incoming PhD student GRE scores on the site, they're pretty damn high. Median combined is 317.

http://annenberg.usc.edu/Prospective/Doctoral/~/media/2013%20Prospective/Documents/ClassProfilePhDCommunication.ashx

I feel pretty good about my 'SC app overall. I met with a POI last week, I've been working on my SOP for months, my GRE score is decent and already sent, and all my transcripts are in. 

I'm more nervous about the Stanford application coming in December. I'm retaking the GRE for that. 

Does anyone know what TIME the USC app is due, exactly? I couldn't find a time on the site. I'm assuming midnight, Nov. 1st, PST?

Those are lower than the ones that I've seen from previous years.  It makes me wonder if the cutoff is lower than I had expected.  

@the pedanticist My funding is all through HKU. They just built a brand new campus and have invested significantly in the research programs because all the universities in Hong Kong have just moved from 3 year to 4 year curricula for undergraduates. Moreover, instead of bringing in more grad students, they just hire more full time TAs. It's very different from the US system. Last application season the department did not accept any new PhD students. 

@duna Apologies, that did come off a bit pretentious. Probably stems from my own insecurities, but I wanted to be clear about the level of investment I'm willing to make. For those interested in applying, I would proof their SOI/Proposal, share my knowledge about the present state of the field, evaluate methodological approaches, and discuss what potential supervisors at different universities are researching. I do think that's worth a lot, and my supervisors only willingly gave me that amount of time when I was a confirmed attendee. We've only got 3/4 years to become expert teachers, writers, and researchers, not to mention conduct ground breaking work in our specific field. I for one am way behind, but I'm willing to spare that time, mainly because I'd like to recruit quality scholars for the students of Hong Kong. 

Anyway, I'm happy to answer further questions about other aspects of the application process to non-US institutions. It's pretty different. They didn't even accept my GRE score!

Will check back from time to time. Hang in there everyone!