Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hey, there were some of you posting acceptances, rejections and waitslits from UCSD... Wondering if there is anyone left like me, who applied to UCSD communication but still has no news? My application went through a scholarship so I don't have direct access to it. So I don't know if I don't have news because of that, if anyone else has heard already or if there's still people in blissful ignorance like me?

I contacted the department and decisions on interviews have not been made. They will send out requests for interviews mid-late February.

Hey thanks for your answer CaitlinMarie! When did you talk to them? And I guess that means interviews could/should come in any moment...

I've been accepted into USC's M.A. in Strategic PR program! The email said that I am a finalist for merit scholarship, and I have an interview in March. 

Also, I thought I'd let all of the Ph.D candidates know that I was told that M.A. students DO NOT teach undergraduate classes at Annenberg, so I'm assuming it's all on the Ph.D students.

Question: If I know for a fact, with or without funding, that I'm attending SC, should I fill out my intent to enroll, or will this hurt my chances at aid? There is ONE fellowship available for my program, and I'm trying to decide whether submitting my intent to enroll will hurt or help my chances of getting that package.

I've been accepted into USC's M.A. in Strategic PR program! The email said that I am a finalist for merit scholarship, and I have an interview in March. 

Also, I thought I'd let all of the Ph.D candidates know that I was told that M.A. students DO NOT teach undergraduate classes at Annenberg, so I'm assuming it's all on the Ph.D students.

Question: If I know for a fact, with or without funding, that I'm attending SC, should I fill out my intent to enroll, or will this hurt my chances at aid? There is ONE fellowship available for my program, and I'm trying to decide whether submitting my intent to enroll will hurt or help my chances of getting that package.

That's a good question. I'm not sure that I can offer any kind of definite answer, but maybe one more stream of thought can offer some clarity.

First off, congratulations on your acceptance! Very exciting. If you know for a fact that you are going to attend USC, you are in a great position.

As for your potential scholarship, it can be a tricky spot to navigate I suppose. One question that I have for you is whether it is a departmental merit scholarship or a university-wide scholarship? It's possible that if USC has you locked in, they may view the merit scholarship as a means to entice an additional student whose intentions they are less certain of but want just as badly. Scholarships can be great recruiting tools after all. On the flip side of that, it's possible they may be more likely to offer the scholarship to someone they know is committed to the program. You would like to think that these scholarships are objective and based entirely on achievement and fit, but it is difficult to completely neutralize one's subjective bias, even a subconscious bias. 

With that being said, I see no harm in waiting to officially commit to USC until after the scholarship is determined. It is not as though you are going to lose your spot, unless for some reason USC does not abide by the April 15th consideration (which I'm pretty sure they do.) I think it is more likely that the school would use the merit scholarship as a recruiting method.... not that they do that :)

That's a good question. I'm not sure that I can offer any kind of definite answer, but maybe one more stream of thought can offer some clarity.

First off, congratulations on your acceptance! Very exciting. If you know for a fact that you are going to attend USC, you are in a great position.

As for your potential scholarship, it can be a tricky spot to navigate I suppose. One question that I have for you is whether it is a departmental merit scholarship or a university-wide scholarship? It's possible that if USC has you locked in, they may view the merit scholarship as a means to entice an additional student whose intentions they are less certain of but want just as badly. Scholarships can be great recruiting tools after all. On the flip side of that, it's possible they may be more likely to offer the scholarship to someone they know is committed to the program. You would like to think that these scholarships are objective and based entirely on achievement and fit, but it is difficult to completely neutralize one's subjective bias, even a subconscious bias. 

With that being said, I see no harm in waiting to officially commit to USC until after the scholarship is determined. It is not as though you are going to lose your spot, unless for some reason USC does not abide by the April 15th consideration (which I'm pretty sure they do.) I think it is more likely that the school would use the merit scholarship as a recruiting method.... not that they do that :)

Thank you! I only applied to USC, due to financial and geographic restrictions, so it feels wonderful to be in this position!

It is a departmental merit scholarship as far as I am aware, not a university-wide scholarship. I was told that they have a few awards that are $5k-$10k/year, a few Project Associateships, a Dean's 1/2 tuition scholarship, and a full Dean's scholarship + Fellowship. 

I am leaning towards holding off on submitting it, but I am getting so anxious!

So, finally talked to the graduate adviser funding from Duquesne. Apparently, since it's a private university assistantships are limited. One may come available, but in the mean time I'm offered the chance to adjunct one class, which will give me half tuition remission and enough stipend to cover the rest of the cost. As far as living money, there are "many opportunities to adjunct at community colleges around Pittsburgh, as well as multiple other employment potentials."

I've been sleuthing the CVs of recent Duquesne grads, and this seems typical. Most have exactly three years of assistanships.

That said, it's a doable situation. I taught 2-3 classes per semester at TTU for my assistantship, plus the graduate full-time load here is 3 more hours per semester than most places, so teaching/work outside of the the university shouldn't be terrible in comparison. 

I'm also making attempts to figure out RPI's funding scheme. I've gotten into two private schools thus far, and what that means money wise is slowly sinking in.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, I've read over a lot of the thread, but not all of it. I've applied to

Uw-Madison comm sci

Ohio university

Nebraska

And NDSU

my friend applied to Iowa.

Has anyone heard anything from these schools. I saw the posts about uw Madison, but it said comm sci was still deciding. I haven't hear anything from any of the schools. But NDSU's deadline isn't until March 1st, so I know that answer won't come soon.

So, finally talked to the graduate adviser funding from Duquesne. Apparently, since it's a private university assistantships are limited. One may come available, but in the mean time I'm offered the chance to adjunct one class, which will give me half tuition remission and enough stipend to cover the rest of the cost. As far as living money, there are "many opportunities to adjunct at community colleges around Pittsburgh, as well as multiple other employment potentials."

Hey chris! Nick

Just wanted to encourage you to be really cautious about sinking loan $ into a doc program. The way academic hiring looks ATM, it's kind of like investing in beanie babies or something.

Hey chris! Nick

Just wanted to encourage you to be really cautious about sinking loan $ into a doc program. The way academic hiring looks ATM, it's kind of like investing in beanie babies or something.

I know, I don't plan on sinking loan money in. Like I said, stipend and such included, tuition will be paid for. I'll just have to find employment for living expenses, which sucks, but c'est la vie. If I can't find adjunct positions, then I can continue being a line-cook. It's not my top choice for a course of action, but I've cooked at some 5 star places, so I know I can get the work with chef connections and whatnot. It's what I'm doing right now anyways since I've been finished with my M.A. since May. 

In any case, I have until April to see if any funding or other offers some along. No rush. In the mean time I'll be roasting myself in front of a saute station.  

Officially got accepted at Kansas.  Thus, I'm only waiting to hear from Penn State and Wisconsin (but I assume I've been rejected at both).  The application and waiting season are almost at an end for me and the beginning of the decision season looms ever larger.  

Did Kansas give you any indication regarding funding? 

Now that it is officially late February, has anyone heard from NYU MCC's PhD program regarding interviews?

Nope :( really hoping someone around here hears soon so we can start moving on to the "implied" phase/2nd stage of grief :P