Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Thanks!  Congrats on the 100% acceptance rate!  Which of the programs are you most likely to choose?  What is your area of study?

Thanks! I was very pleased to get into all 3 of the programs I applied to. My focus is political comm. I'm planning to take as long as is reasonable to decide. I'm excited about the prospect of working with Mitchell McKinney and Ben Warner at Missouri, Robin Rowland at Kansas, or Jennifer Mercieca and Kirby Goidel at Texas A&M. I have a more rhetorical focus which makes KU a great fit, but I also feel like I could become a very well rounded political comm scholar at Missouri.  I will definitely post here once I decide. Congratulations on some excellent offers! Do you know when you will decide? 

FYI, NYU MCC is in the midst of short list interviews. That's all the info I have. Good luck!

You can't do that!! You have to divulge more!! 

First -- it says you are rejected in your sig: I didn't think anyone had been rejected...?

Second -- no one seems to have gotten an invitation for an interview -- do you mean that the invitations have gone out or that they are taking place right now?

Don't be cruel, mate!! Thanks for any info! We are suffering here!!

Thanks! I was very pleased to get into all 3 of the programs I applied to. My focus is political comm. I'm planning to take as long as is reasonable to decide. I'm excited about the prospect of working with Mitchell McKinney and Ben Warner at Missouri, Robin Rowland at Kansas, or Jennifer Mercieca and Kirby Goidel at Texas A&M. I have a more rhetorical focus which makes KU a great fit, but I also feel like I could become a very well rounded political comm scholar at Missouri.  I will definitely post here once I decide. Congratulations on some excellent offers! Do you know when you will decide? 

OnwardUpward,

I will be attending Kansas' Comm PhD program in the Fall, so if you go there, we'll have to meet up!! I am very excited to be attending there, and look forward to the next 4 years! 

LivingLaveda

Attending KU with full funding, TA and stipend.

Rock Chalk!

Hi there! Will you be going to A&M's recruitment weekend? I am!

I will ask again -- has anyone been invited for an interview at NYU MCC?

I called them yesterday and their response on the interview process was a bit ambiguous. They said they are currently going through the first round of interviews and seemed to imply that there might be a second round. However, like I said, I couldn't tell if all requests have been sent out or if more will be sent out depending upon this first round.

I called them yesterday and their response on the interview process was a bit ambiguous. They said they are currently going through the first round of interviews and seemed to imply that there might be a second round. However, like I said, I couldn't tell if all requests have been sent out or if more will be sent out depending upon this first round.

It is weird that no one has reported receiving a call for an interview here, though. Perhaps I am overestimating the degree to which applicants use this site.

Thanks for the info, though. 

It is weird that no one has reported receiving a call for an interview here, though. Perhaps I am overestimating the degree to which applicants use this site.

Thanks for the info, though. 

Oh it seems like there's probably only ten or twenty people on here who applied for MCC - I mean I've only seen about 5 or 6 users even mention it on a forum or in their sig, so that could even be an overestimate on my part. Honestly we don't seem to have too high a representation of their 200+ or whatever applications, so the results search may never help. Check previous years - it's practically random, and no more than two or three PhD listings per year whatsover. MCC is also an interdisciplinary program, and what I'm learning is that it seems like there's a higher representation of people in disciplinary fields active on this website. Perhaps just true for academia generally? Fewer people in interdisciplinary fields? But on the site it's also much easier to use when your work fits more naturally within a traditional field - I mean everytime I look at the menu I think, dang what do I click on? :lol:

Also, nowaynohow has certainly shared more precise info than any of us could ever have access to, so you probably shouldn't give this person a hard time, even tho I know the frustration is making us all goofy. If you looked more closely at nowaynohow's post anyway, you'd see the field listed is "anthropology," and numerous anthro rejections from NYU have appeared on the board, so there's nothing being withheld there.

Oh it seems like there's probably only ten or twenty people on here who applied for MCC - I mean I've only seen about 5 or 6 users even mention it on a forum or in their sig, so that could even be an overestimate on my part. Honestly we don't seem to have too high a representation of their 200+ or whatever applications, so the results search may never help. Check previous years - it's practically random, and no more than two or three PhD listings per year whatsover. MCC is also an interdisciplinary program, and what I'm learning is that it seems like there's a higher representation of people in disciplinary fields active on this website. Perhaps just true for academia generally? Fewer people in interdisciplinary fields? But on the site it's also much easier to use when your work fits more naturally within a traditional field - I mean everytime I look at the menu I think, dang what do I click on? :lol:

Also, nowaynohow has certainly shared more precise info than any of us could ever have access to, so you probably shouldn't give this person a hard time, even tho I know the frustration is making us all goofy. If you looked more closely at nowaynohow's post anyway, you'd see the field listed is "anthropology," and numerous anthro rejections from NYU have appeared on the board, so there's nothing being withheld there.

Thanks for clarifying and I did not mean any offense. I don't know the ins and outs of this website (or the application process!) as well as you. :)

It just seemed like insider's info, and I thought it was a mean card to play when all of us are dying over here. You get my drift. 

I will be waiting! Will update once I hear either way. 

A brother in suffering,

pp

Anyone know when one could expect to hear back from MIT CMS? 

According to results search, I wouldn't expect to hear anything before mid-march.

I know, I'm dying too, but their deadline was so late it makes sense. 

if they accept me i'll totally forgive them for the wait haha

You're right about the interdisciplinary focus being less common in academia. i want to pursue interdisciplinary work, so I applied to two departments that developed their programs for it. Still though, on my visits, the grad students said even those sort of places, with being able to take many classes in other departments and there being low department requirements (course count wise) it's still hard to stick with interdisciplinary stuff just because professors get stuck in the literature of their field and have a hard time adapting. It kinda makes sense. I feel like its the ideal of academic, but hard to push through the jargon and habit boundaries in the fields. 

Have a friend who got a rejection email from NYU MCC last night, if that helps! 

I saw a couple of posts like that on the results forum. From your sig -- have you been waitlisted from nyu mcc phd? or another program?

thanks a lot! fingers crossed here since I haven't been rejected yet! :)

wonder why they'd reject in groups... just to mess with our nerves more, probably.

I saw a couple of posts like that on the results forum. From your sig -- have you been waitlisted from nyu mcc phd? or another program?

wonder why they'd reject in groups... just to mess with our nerves more, probably.

Based on what they told me from my phone call, perhaps they are not rejecting everyone at once since interviews seem to be grouped. My sense is that based on how this first group of interviews goes they may extend more. I am not certain, because the person I spoke to was rather ambiguous.

If you look to the left of the body of the post, you'll find most people have listed the field for programs they are applying to underneath their profile data. For example, the person you're asking about says they're applying for anthropology phd programs. If people apply to more than one type of program, it seems like they usually list that kind of information in their signature. None of this is required of course, that's just one of the ways people here communicate to each other. If you want to add that info for yourself, you can edit your profile by clicking the links at the upper right of the page.

Have a friend who got a rejection email from NYU MCC last night, if that helps!

Yay thank so much for sharing! I was feverishly wondering who's rejection that was... Hopefully we'll all be 5 x 5 soon ;)