Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I know we're still waiting for news from a few schools but has anyone made a final decision about where they'll be attending and/or whether or not they'll do another round of applications next year?

Just got accepted from the LSE/USC joint program in Global Communication and Global Media. It's a 2 year program (One in London, one in LA) that earns you 2 MAs, but funding is tough to come by. I'll find out later about my funding offer, but I 99% sure that I would have to take out significant loans.

But still an option worth considering! And I would never want to complain about an acceptance!

Wow congratulations!

I know we're still waiting for news from a few schools but has anyone made a final decision about where they'll be attending and/or whether or not they'll do another round of applications next year?

Expecting funding info from UCSB (religious studies) either today or tomorrow... I'll be able to eliminate or include them in my choices based on it!

I'll be applying to education departments if I don't get in this season. They have swinging door admissions. Hopefully ones with a good comm dept near by (I'll try Purdue first). If not I'll be back next year. Still waiting from them though.

@ghostkitten are you still waiting from Bloomington as well?

I'm sorry King. :(

The program adviser at NCSU replied to my inquiry. Won't know anything for sure until after April 15th. Isn't that when I have to indicate my matriculation? I'm assuming that's a negative on funding. 

*sigh* alright...

Edited by cannedheat

I'll be applying to education departments if I don't get in this season. They have swinging door admissions. Hopefully ones with a good comm dept near by (I'll try Purdue first). If not I'll be back next year. Still waiting from them though.

@ghostkitten are you still waiting from Bloomington as well?

Yes! they told me they would be making decisions "early March", so it should be any time. All my hopes are on Bloomington, I really like the program there. Please let me know if you hear from them :) I'll do it too

Funding info came in from UCSB last night.

Two different fellowships and a TAship amounting to 3-4 years of guaranteed funding for a combined MA/PhD (this is my outlier in Religious Studies).

Unfortunately, the good schools for my kids in a place we could MAYbe afford would mean an hour and a half or two hour commute for me, one way..

This is SO much harder with a family..

It'd be a clear winner otherwise, and I hate thinking that :(

Yes! they told me they would be making decisions "early March", so it should be any time. All my hopes are on Bloomington, I really like the program there. Please let me know if you hear from them :) I'll do it too

Sure thing! Its my second, I think I have a good chance. The director is so nice! And they have such a great campus!

WHOA just got into the wild card discipline change program to work with a really well-known POI. Buuuut their visit day is the same as UPenn :/ No idea what to do -- according to the admissions letter, they won't fund a visit on another day.

WHOA just got into the wild card discipline change program to work with a really well-known POI. Buuuut their visit day is the same as UPenn :/ No idea what to do -- according to the admissions letter, they won't fund a visit on another day.

DANG HERMES!!! CONGRATS!

(Could you give us a hint on the program?)

Congratulations!!!

How about UPenn? Any flexibility on that visit day?

If not, which one do you feel more unsure about (not the most excited about, but the one you really don't know about)? That's the one I'd attend.

CONGRATS! Killin it!

Thanks, everyone!! 

Hope everyone's app season and decision-making process is going well!

I have no idea how people make these decisions. I spoke with one of my LOR profs yesterday, and apparently back in the day he was so indecisive that he actually accepted a school's offer and then declined it a day or two later, haha. 

Thanks, everyone!! 

Hope everyone's app season and decision-making process is going well!

I have no idea how people make these decisions. I spoke with one of my LOR profs yesterday, and apparently back in the day he was so indecisive that he actually accepted a school's offer and then declined it a day or two later, haha. 

I am DYING making my decision right now. If you happen to feel compelled to assist, I just posted "Turning away from fellowship?" in the "Decisions, Decisions" area... My fiance and I are throwing our hands up in the air unable to see the "best" way forward. 

What I keep trying to remind myself is that what matters is that I got in anywhere, and that regardless, I will be attending grad school next fall! And that feels great!

I am DYING making my decision right now. If you happen to feel compelled to assist, I just posted "Turning away from fellowship?" in the "Decisions, Decisions" area... My fiance and I are throwing our hands up in the air unable to see the "best" way forward. 

What I keep trying to remind myself is that what matters is that I got in anywhere, and that regardless, I will be attending grad school next fall! And that feels great!

I'm dying over my decision as well. 

A friend of mine told me "wherever you go, you'll make the most of it" and that helped a lot.

Haha, well, Pitt finally made my application status say "complete." I tried conveying the "incomplete" status to them forever, and eventually gave up.

Go figure. Probably too late for the top choice regardless, but at least they fixed the status! It's a small victory. 

I'm dying over my decision as well. 

A friend of mine told me "wherever you go, you'll make the most of it" and that helped a lot.

It's really true. What's fortunate is to be that type of person who can and does make the most of a situation. Me and my beau have each reminded the other of that quality we both carry... and that's what we'll do.

I'm just so humbled that he's even willing to consider such a difficult stretch.