Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Lol!

I am having some really WEIRD reactions to having decided!!!

I think a lot of it is early signs of impostor syndrome...

But also sheer disbelief that this is how things turned out, and this is what we're actually doing... because it seemed the most impossible and out of reach...

And protecting myself from disappointment ... like going on to accept the offer and then realizing I read it wrong, that I'm actually waitlisted or the money is conditional or or or I don't know what... or if I say that this is where I'm going then the whole application season and rounds are over.... and I almost can't come to grips with that!!!

I feel like I'm going crazy!

I'm going to UCSB!!!!!!!!! To learn French and Classical Chinese and become a Religious Studies Fellow.....! This whole time I truly believed we'd end up at Boulder or UNM and I'd do Comm (and I guess I might still at UCSB since they're so interdisciplinary).

It's ironic because you guys are my gradcafe family! I've only made a handful of posts in the Religious Studies threads ... haha! 

I can't believe it!!!! Maybe posting it will help make it feel real!!!

Congrats!! I'm glad you hear you've made a decision, hard as it may have been. What was the final deciding factor?

Lol!

I am having some really WEIRD reactions to having decided!!!

I think a lot of it is early signs of impostor syndrome...

But also sheer disbelief that this is how things turned out, and this is what we're actually doing... because it seemed the most impossible and out of reach...

And protecting myself from disappointment ... like going on to accept the offer and then realizing I read it wrong, that I'm actually waitlisted or the money is conditional or or or I don't know what... or if I say that this is where I'm going then the whole application season and rounds are over.... and I almost can't come to grips with that!!!

I feel like I'm going crazy!

I'm going to UCSB!!!!!!!!! To learn French and Classical Chinese and become a Religious Studies Fellow.....! This whole time I truly believed we'd end up at Boulder or UNM and I'd do Comm (and I guess I might still at UCSB since they're so interdisciplinary).

It's ironic because you guys are my gradcafe family! I've only made a handful of posts in the Religious Studies threads ... haha! 

I can't believe it!!!! Maybe posting it will help make it feel real!!!

Congratulations on your decision!!!

Rejected by Yale - though i totally knew I wasn't getting into an Ivy. Still waiting on Northwestern, Georgia State, & Michigan, but I feel like if I haven't heard from any of these places yet I haven't been selected anywhere.

Accepted into University of Maryland - Performance Studies MA/Phd Program. I am officially done waiting on schools to get back to me. I have two great choices, once funding comes in I can make my final choice. 

I can't believe that its all about to become real! This time next year I will be in a new state starting new program! 

Was told I'd hear back from Simon Fraser today about the CMNS MA program but haven't heard a peep. Unfortunately I have the day off from work so I've nothing to keep my mind off constantly refreshing my email, ugh. So tempted to call but I don't want to come off as too eager!

Congrats Jujubea!!! Must be great to finally know where you're going! Any insight into how you made your decision?

I declined an offer today. Narrowing down the options! But I won't know until I visit my remaining schools... still some weeks to go. 

Have any Film Studies PhD people heard from UC Santa Cruz or Iowa? Haven't seen anything on here or the main Accept/Reject post page. Those are the last two I'm waiting on. I'm going 0 for 3 right now!

I've been rejected from:

UT Austin

Kansas

UW Madison

Edited by Film Nick

Anyone invited for a NYU MCC interview? 

So far there have been 2 rounds of rejections. Supposedly interview notices went out about a week ago, yet we haven't heard anything. 

The wait is tough!!

Does anyone have any news? MCC website says they'll send out decisions by early March but I haven't heard a thing. 

I feel like it is a very competitive year for film.

Yeah, feels like it to me. But this is my first year applying to doc programs. I mean...Wisconsin let in 4 people! What the heck.

Does any school care about teaching experience? I have 2 and a half years of film studies experience at the local JC. 

I had emailed Texas a long time before applying asking them, and the lady said that factored less than research interests. 

I guess everyone has teaching experience that's applying.

New to the forum. 8 applications for Film Studies PhD programs.

So far I've gotten 4 rejections (Chicago, Madison, Berkeley and UCLA) and am trying not to freak out. It's helpful to know others are in the same boat.

Still waiting on Michigan, Northwestern, Tisch, and Iowa.

Yeah, ditto cinemanotebooks & Film Nick. Nothing but film rejections. I'm waiting on Northwestern, Michigan, and Georgia State. Nick - I also have a decent amount of teaching experience while getting my Masters - TA or Instructor of Record each semester, course creator and instructor for online summer courses, etc. Even with tailoring my applications towards each school / faculty, I guess there are people who are better and a better fit this year. It's sad, because I value my work, think it's helping the field, and would love nothing more than to be able to keep producing it while being backed by an institution.

I just received an email saying that I'm waitlisted for UC-San Diego, PhD in Communication. Anyone else applied there and got accepted or waitlisted? do you have any info about the chances of people in the waiting list being called?

I just received an email saying that I'm waitlisted for UC-San Diego, PhD in Communication. Anyone else applied there and got accepted or waitlisted? do you have any info about the chances of people in the waiting list being called?

I was rejected a few weeks ago from UCSD's PhD. I know that's not particularly helpful, but it's true! haha

I've got a meeting with Purdue Calumet next week. Its not a large school and it focuses on professionals, not researchers, but I need to boost my chances after the Purdue main campis rejection.

I also emailed the directed at IU Bloomington, there's going to be a committee meeting this week, but there may not be any word for anyone until the week after next. Spring break starts Monday here.

Also, sorry about double post, but everyone applying to PhD and already have or are working in Masters, when did you start your PhD search? The second semester?

Second semester (Spring 2014) of my first year. I'm currently in my second year now. But I kind of knew where I wanted to apply since the Fall semester before that.

Also rejected by MIT, but at least it makes "deciding" easier, haha. Best wishes to all who got in, it's a great program!

USC, here I come! If anyone is planning to attend SCA's Admitted Student Day on April 10th, please shoot me a PM!

Also, sorry about double post, but everyone applying to PhD and already have or are working in Masters, when did you start your PhD search? The second semester?

This is why I greatly valued UCSB's combined MA/PhD program... I don't have to worry about a second round of applications after just a year. This was a priority for me.

WELL CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

WELL thank you!!!!

Congrats!! I'm glad you hear you've made a decision, hard as it may have been. What was the final deciding factor?

Thanks as well. No single final deciding factor... but, see your PM.

Congratulations on your decision!!!

Thank you:) 

Congrats Jujubea!!! Must be great to finally know where you're going! Any insight into how you made your decision?

I declined an offer today. Narrowing down the options! But I won't know until I visit my remaining schools... still some weeks to go. 

Also thank you and also see your PM.. :)