Lincoln, NE

sam3135

Hi guys,

I am an international student and I might go to UNL this fall. Currently waiting for funding decision.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, very useful info for newbies!

Seconding this!  I'm still waiting to hear from UNL, but am considering it.  Was wondering if the info from 2012 & 2013 in regards to being able to get around well without a car is still valid?  Sold my car before beginning my MA and would like to hold off on such a big purchase right away.  Plus, I've never driven in snow or ice, so even with a car I might feel more comfortable using transit occasionally.

Does anyone know of decent pet friendly apartments close to campus?  I have two cats I'd like to bring with me (rather than leave at home).  Any with hardwood floors?

Seconding this!  I'm still waiting to hear from UNL, but am considering it.  Was wondering if the info from 2012 & 2013 in regards to being able to get around well without a car is still valid?  Sold my car before beginning my MA and would like to hold off on such a big purchase right away.  Plus, I've never driven in snow or ice, so even with a car I might feel more comfortable using transit occasionally.

Does anyone know of decent pet friendly apartments close to campus?  I have two cats I'd like to bring with me (rather than leave at home).  Any with hardwood floors?

Hi, armchairette! A couple of acquaintances have said that it's still ok not to have a car,e specially if you're trying to be frugal. :)

Yup, I got the TA for 5 years  :) UNL was my first choice university so I`m really happy about this! 

Thanks!  :)

Awesome! I'm still waiting for my funding details- hope it comes soon. Congrats again!

I was put in the waitlist for funds, and got an offer from the Canadian uni with funding for 2 years, with additional funding to be determined later. So I suspect that I will not go to UNL afterwards.

:unsure: But I am leaving UNL as a backup, and I indeed wanted to come. But money issue is critical...

Edited by fannek

I was put in the waitlist for funds, and got an offer from the Canadian uni with funding for 2 years, with additional funding to be determined later. So I suspect that I will not go to UNL afterwards.

:unsure: But I am leaving UNL as a backup, and I indeed wanted to come. But money issue is critical...

Oh, i still hope you'll get the funding from UNL! But which university do you prefer more if funding is not an issue?

Oh, i still hope you'll get the funding from UNL! But which university do you prefer more if funding is not an issue?

Thanks! We will see how it goes.

Well, in case with Canada: easier immigrational program, ability for my spouse (if he decides to follow me) to work legally during all the studying period (what students of F1-F2 can not do), I also will have rights to work off campus from the day I come (changes from June 2014) and the job can be not relevant to studies, rights to get work permit for up 3 years after the PhD program. I think, even if UNL offered me higher scholarship I would still prefer Canada.

Edited by fannek

Thanks! We will see how it goes.

Well, in case with Canada: easier immigrational program, ability for my spouse (if he decides to follow me) to work legally during all the studying period (what students of F1-F2 can not do), I also will have rights to work off campus from the day I come (changes from June 2014) and the job can be not relevant to studies, rights to get work permit for up 3 years after the PhD program. I think, even if UNL offered me higher scholarship I would still prefer Canada.

Wow, Canada seems like an easier choice! Congrats! Now makes me think why i didnt apply in Canada!

Is there anyone going into the Speech-Language Pathology grad. program this Fall 2014?? I am from out of state and would love to get to know people before we start school. :)

I'm now very seriously considering UN-L.  Does anyone have advice/info in regards to convenient apartments that are pet-friendly?  I won't have a car, at least not at first.  I have two cats who, combined, weigh less than 15lbs.

I will be attending UNL this fall for the Audiology program. I am looking at Tanglewood apts..does anyone know anything about them? Also I was wondering about parking. I'm considering buying a 9 month parking pass, but just heard you can park in neighborhoods close to east campus..is this true?

• 4 weeks later...

I get the admission to the program of Phd,however without foudings,The department told me ta/ra are still being selected by them and the professors. It is close to April 15th,I doubt if i could get the fundings now.why the department gives hopes and lets it down.Is there anyone has the similar situation? I major in mechanical engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending UNL this fall for the Audiology program. I am looking at Tanglewood apts..does anyone know anything about them? Also I was wondering about parking. I'm considering buying a 9 month parking pass, but just heard you can park in neighborhoods close to east campus..is this true?

Yes, if your program is based in East Campus, then you can easily park nearby, no need for a pass. Not too sure about City though. Intercampus travel is inconvenient outside shuttle hours (ends around 8:30 pm) although you can easily bike it in good weather.

Hi UNL people! I live in Lincoln now, but I'm moving for grad school. If anyone is interested in buying a house message me! I live in a really nice neighborhood and actually did several thousand dollars of upgrades, because I never thought I'd get a funded PhD place in the UK. It's big though, so better for people with families/spouses.  

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On March 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM, alhemicharka said:

I`m going to UNL this fall - doing my PhD at the English department  :)

Hi there! I am considering the PhD program in English (rhet/comp) at UNL for Fall 2016. Waiting on funding, but was accepted today. This isn't Lincoln specific, but how do you like the department? What is your emphasis?

• 1 year later...

Anyone planning on going to Lincoln for Fall 2017? :)

How pet friendly is the city? I am going to be bringing two dogs, one a German Shepherd and one a Labrador/Pitbull mix. Both breeds tend to be problematic in states with breed specific legislation. From my research, it looks like we should be OK. Does anyone have experience with this?

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

I would love some current info on the city, if someone here can help!

Hi there! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad at UNL. Someone else asked me about Lincoln on this site, so here is the pros/cons list I sent them:

UNL Pros:

1. big school pride (Memorial Stadium has a larger population than all cities in Nebraska other than Lincoln and Omaha on football Saturdays)

2. People are nice, will do things for you like hold doors and make small talk about the weather

3. Professors are really engaged with students. I know most of my professors by first name, which is huge as an undergrad

4. Big research focus (my best friend got his undergrad in the English department here and got to do a funded research project with a professor)

5. Grad students can teach some lower-level classes

UNL Cons:

1. Big Greek life (probably applies more to undergrad)

2. We love our football team, but they're not actually very good lol

3. Can be difficult to find challenging enough classes (may be less true in english as it's a bigger department, but in the anthro department all the grad students take classes with undergrads)

4. Not a lot of money for humanities/social sciences departments

5. Expensive parking (might be covered for you?)

Lincoln Pros:

1. Good size downtown, right by campus

2. Lots of small breweries/coffee shops

3: Get some good concerts at Pinnacle Bank Arena

4: Close to Omaha for bigger city stuff

5: Cheap rent (I live in a furnished on-campus apartment with one roommate and pay less than $500/month including utilities)

Lincoln Cons:

1. Cold as fuck (and they'll make you go to class anyway)

2. Conservative state (the governor wants to bring back the death penalty, you'll see some pro-life rallies on campus, etc.)

3. You basically need a car to get around (too cold to bike half the year and campus is technically in a food desert)

Hope this helps! Also I'm not in English, but used to have a Women's and Gender Studies minor and really loved the women's poetry class I took!

• 1 month later...

Would love some further perspective on living in this city as a graduate student. Interested in basics like money and logistics, but also specifically I am worried that as a single queer woman who has lived only in large cities my whole life, I will find it challenging both culturally and logistically to meet friends and make a (temporary) home here!