Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Finally got the official admission letter from TAMU~ (Tuition waive and US$24,000 TA)

Too bad my USC application was rejected... maybe the Professors I am interested to do not accept new students  :mellow:

One early admission and One early rejection~ that's okay I think. At least I won't anxiously wait anymore  :)

Congrats on TAMU Maxtini! How long did it take them to get back to you? I've only submitted two applications so far but I'm dying to hear back haha.

Congrats on TAMU Maxtini! How long did it take them to get back to you? I've only submitted two applications so far but I'm dying to hear back haha.

I think it's one week after my last document (LoR) was received by them, although I have submitted my application earlier (around 11 Nov).

The admission coordinator is also very engaging and knows alot about my background and circumstances. I think that's the apparent benefit of submitting early.

Edited by Maxtini

Just got accepted in University of Virginia! Super thrilled - I'll officially be a graduate student next year!

For the curious, my LORs were submitted a couple of weeks ago and I submitted the rest of my application on Monday (I know they started reviewing applications, but I'm shocked by the quick turnaround).

...Now if you'll excuse me, I should get back to work on that last application...

Edited by Hijojo

Just got accepted in University of Virginia! Super thrilled - I'll officially be a graduate student next year!

For the curious, my LORs were submitted a couple of weeks ago and I submitted the rest of my application on Monday (I know they started reviewing applications, but I'm shocked by the quick turnaround).

...Now if you'll excuse me, I should get back to work on that last application...

Congrats! UVa is an awesome school. :)

Ohio state Department of Chemistry only charge 5 dollars~ maybe the cheapest one.

But their application website is very awful and full of bugs. :mellow:

Yeah you weren't joking, its the worst I've encountered so far. I wasn't able to upload anything to it myself...

Thank goodness their application fee is only US$5~

My Professor has just told me that she hasn't sent her LoR to OSU~ but the OSU web application indicated that they have received her letter!!  :wacko: 

My professor cannot submit her LoR because of this, and worse, I cannot add her as recommender again.  :angry:

Hi I have a general question.

What are my chances to getting into top chemistry programs?

School: Top 10 school

GPA: isn't great in the low 3.0s

GRE: V:154 Q: 168 V: 3.0

Research: 2yrs, manuscript in preparation (first co-author)

Poster Presentation: 2 minor seminars

Awards: school grants

LoR: 2 great letters from very well-known professors, 1 good~great letter from advisor

I am mainly concerned about my GPA and GRE, although looking at this forum... I feel like I am behind on the research experience as well.

Hi I have a general question.

What are my chances to getting into top chemistry programs?

School: Top 10 school

GPA: isn't great in the low 3.0s

GRE: V:154 Q: 168 V: 3.0

Research: 2yrs, manuscript in preparation (first co-author)

Poster Presentation: 2 minor seminars

Awards: school grants

LoR: 2 great letters from very well-known professors, 1 good~great letter from advisor

I am mainly concerned about my GPA and GRE, although looking at this forum... I feel like I am behind on the research experience as well.

Which top 10 schools? What is your GPA? "Not in the 3.0s" is vague. I suppose the minimum that could be is 3.5, which I don't think is too bad.  

I wouldn't say 2 years of research experience puts you behind, especially if you have a manuscript in preparation.  

My GPA is a 3.1 and my GRE is 154V and 168Q.

I am looking at schools such as Caltech, Berkeley and Wisconsin.

I am getting a great recommendation letter from a Professor who is known well across the Chemistry society as he was my PI.

I was wondering how big of a difference that would make in the admissions process.

Oops sorry, I misread your original post regarding your GPA. Having a strong recommendation from a well-known PI would certainly help. Was your GPA low because of poor grades in your chemistry courses or other electives? If you have strong chemistry GPA then I don't think it would be too bad. Definitely apply to a couple back-up schools to be safe.

My GPA is a 3.1 and my GRE is 154V and 168Q.

I am looking at schools such as Caltech, Berkeley and Wisconsin.

I am getting a great recommendation letter from a Professor who is known well across the Chemistry society as he was my PI.

I was wondering how big of a difference that would make in the admissions process.

From what I've heard, LORs are evaluated after applicants have been "filtered" with the school's criterion for GPA and GRE scores. 

GPA and GRE scores might not be the most crucial part of the application but are important enough to keep people out. 

hey guy, this question falls into the "should i be worried", "what are my chances" type category

i got a 3.0 (15%) on the analytical writing for the GRE

my verbal and quantitative where both in the 90s percentile wise

i have a strong GPA (3.86 from small liberal arts college) good research expereince, and should be getting good LORs, should i worry about my low AW score?

hey guy, this question falls into the "should i be worried", "what are my chances" type category

i got a 3.0 (15%) on the analytical writing for the GRE

my verbal and quantitative where both in the 90s percentile wise

i have a strong GPA (3.86 from small liberal arts college) good research expereince, and should be getting good LORs, should i worry about my low AW score?

I can't say for sure, but I really hope grad programs don't reject you for a 3.0 AW score. That test is terrible fot gauging your actual writing skills.

I can't say for sure, but I really hope grad programs don't reject you for a 3.0 AW score. That test is terrible fot gauging your actual writing skills.

It's also a very different type of writing than what you'll be doing as a chemist.

Hi I am applying for PhD in Organic Chemistry/Theoretical Chemistry. I don't have much research experiences so I am worried that I might not get in.

Stat-wise:

Undergrad Institution: Top British University
Major(s): Chemistry
GPA undergraduate: 1st Class Honours

GRE Scores: V: 161  Q: 170  W: 4.5
Chemistry: 910 (97%)
Research Experience: 1 year in materials chemistry lab

Publications: nil

Presentations: nil
Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
Applying to Where: Harvard, MIT, UCB, Stanford, Oxford

Hi I am applying for PhD in Organic Chemistry/Theoretical Chemistry. I don't have much research experiences so I am worried that I might not get in.

Stat-wise:

Undergrad Institution: Top British University

Major(s): Chemistry

GPA undergraduate: 1st Class Honours

GRE Scores: V: 161  Q: 170  W: 4.5

Chemistry: 910 (97%)

Research Experience: 1 year in materials chemistry lab

Publications: nil

Presentations: nil

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Applying to Where: Harvard, MIT, UCB, Stanford, Oxford

Your GRE scores are outstanding (as I'm sure you know), but your minimal research experience may be a read flag to the admissions committee.  Who is writing your letters?  If they are from professors that can convince the admissions committee that you will succeed in a research lab, it would help a lot.  If they are from professors that can only say 'He's a really smart guy, he got an A in my class' you may be in a little trouble.

You also have a very small and ambitious list of schools.  I would suggest applying to a few more that may not be as top, top tier as MIT, Harvard, etc.  

To people applying to Michigan - the SOP asks you to "list" PI's you would want to work with... Are you just doing like bullet points or sentence? 

I created a separate paragraph and just listed three PI's and talked about their research a bit. Hope that helps!

Good news! I got an acceptance email from UI-UC today! Looks like it payed off to get the application in early.

Congrats! That is great to hear back as soon as you did. It definitely makes me a bit regretful for not getting mine in earlier. I am polishing my SOP for Illinois right now.

School: Highly Ranked Private College

BS Chemistry, Computer Science

GPA: 3.55

CGPA: 3.45

GRE: V154 Q165 W5.5 C720

3 Years of research in the same lab, 1 publication in print another being submitted soon

Work experience as an organic undergraduate lab assistant

2 research fellowships

LOR: Lesser known PI and 2 well-known professors in my desired field.

Desired Field: Organic Chemistry/Materials

Applied: MIT, Wisconsin, UIUC, UC Davis, UC Boulder, UPitt, Colorado State, Washington

Your GRE scores are outstanding (as I'm sure you know), but your minimal research experience may be a read flag to the admissions committee.  Who is writing your letters?  If they are from professors that can convince the admissions committee that you will succeed in a research lab, it would help a lot.  If they are from professors that can only say 'He's a really smart guy, he got an A in my class' you may be in a little trouble.

You also have a very small and ambitious list of schools.  I would suggest applying to a few more that may not be as top, top tier as MIT, Harvard, etc.  

Hi Organometallilcs, thank you for your kind advice! Yes the LOR are from professors, two from the profs who know only my academic performances and one from my research supervisor (who I believe will not write a long recommendation). Which ones not in the top tier wouuld you recommend for doing organic/theoretical chemistry? Thank you! :)

So.... Not be premature but... What are people's plans if they don't get in anywhere? :) I am setting up a Plan B over winter break haha - PI has said I could stay but I would also like to try to find an RA position elsewhere.