SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

No kidding. Considering CHIR, NSERC, and the MA SSHRC are all on the online portal now. What gives?!  :(

I'm under the impression from discussions with one of my profs who sat on the PhD adj. committee last year for SSHRC that they're sorting out the kinks in the MA system before converting the PhDs over to that system. I don't know if this was cross-board or only for SSHRC last year, but they had to extend by 4 or 5 days due to technical issues, so maybe they wanted to give it another test run this year. From what this year's cohort has shared, it seems like things have improved, so maybe next year. 

I just read over at the NSERC thread that people are getting letters already... Still means nothing to SSHRC but at least we know award season's approaching.

We should probably emphasize that the letters the NSERC people are getting are for the PDF award only -- nothing about CGS Ds yet! This is how it's always been, with PDF awards being allocated a couple months before CGS Ds.

We should probably emphasize that the letters the NSERC people are getting are for the PDF award only -- nothing about CGS Ds yet! This is how it's always been, with PDF awards being allocated a couple months before CGS Ds.

Whoops. I read that as a .pdf letter rather than post-doc fellowship. 

Oh, wow! Thanks for the info :)

I did apply directly last year and I found out around April that I was unsuccessful. So I suppose if you get something from SSHRC in the mail in February it's good news? 

Not necessarily.  I was forwarded but then waitlisted in April (and then nothing came of it).

Has anyone here applied for the Trudeau? Presently or in the past?

Hi, yes, I applied for it last year. But, unfortunately, did not make it to the interview stage. Best of luck to you, if you've applied!

Hi folks! Glad to see that the tradition of starting a yearly SSHRC/CGS thread lives on. Good work on that front crimsoc! 

Hey Carthage32, any luck with the waitlist from last year or have you submitted a new application??

Best of luck to all!

Did anyone apply directly to SSHRC? 

Hi folks, Yes, I applied directly to SSHRC (still waiting on acceptance letters from the PhD programs I applied to as well). Anyone in the same boat? I just emailed SSHRC to change my address, and I also asked when they will mail out the competition results this year. I will let you all know what they say. Break a leg everyone! 

Also direct applicant (in the U.S.) hoping for better results this year. Was waitlisted last year, but hoping that given I'm enrolled in an actual program this year will raise my chances (all else equal of course).

Best of luck everyone!!

Hi folks, Yes, I applied directly to SSHRC (still waiting on acceptance letters from the PhD programs I applied to as well). Anyone in the same boat? I just emailed SSHRC to change my address, and I also asked when they will mail out the competition results this year. I will let you all know what they say. Break a leg everyone! 

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Alas, here's the response I received from SSHRC on when they will mail the results this year: "Not till end of April." 

I'm going to try to forget about this for the next 2 months. Wishing you all the best! 

Alas, here's the response I received from SSHRC on when they will mail the results this year: "Not till end of April." 

I'm going to try to forget about this for the next 2 months. Wishing you all the best! 

I guess that's the official party line... I had heard that you find out if you're on the "A" list sometime towards the end of February (but of course that's not a guarantee of anything, anyway).

Blah, this is pretty stupid. I'm trying to decide between offers (one official, one presumed based on heavy hinting by dept. chair) but having a decision from SSHRC would make that a lot easier since the $ question would be gone.

Direct applicant in the UK, just found out I was forwarded! Phew! One more round to go...

For the record, the letter says that there were 593 applications reviewed by the pre-selection and 256 were forwarded. I'm assuming that this is a statistic relating only to direct applicants? 

If this is the case, (because I'm obsessed with statistics, who isn't): 259 were forwarded last year, and 80 direct applicants got awards (according to the statistics released in November), which means direct apps that get forwarded have around a 30% success rate? I guess? Though I'm sure it varies wildly by country/subject/etc... so probably useless to think about...!

in any case: YEAH!

Congrats to all forwarded! 

postyork -- I think you're looking at the SSHRC Doctoral fellowships statistics only, in which case you're correct: 80 applicants received an award. I don't think this number includes SSHRC CGS awards, in which case you'd add another 39 (7 Canadian and 32 foreign) awards. Then 80+39 will give you 109, which is the number of both SSHRC Fellowship and CGS awards issued to both Canadian and foreign applicants. That's how I understand it!

hey guys, another direct applicant here. I haven't yet received anything - I wonder if that means I didn't make it to the next round. Does anyone know if direct applicants who are rejected hear back now or do they get rejections in April/May?

Also, weirdly, when I log in to the SSHRC portal, it says "nothing to display" and doesn't show my application. Wonder if that is another sign...

Anyway, congrats to everyone who made it through! 

hey guys, another direct applicant here. I haven't yet received anything - I wonder if that means I didn't make it to the next round. Does anyone know if direct applicants who are rejected hear back now or do they get rejections in April/May?

Also, weirdly, when I log in to the SSHRC portal, it says "nothing to display" and doesn't show my application. Wonder if that is another sign...

Anyway, congrats to everyone who made it through! 

Hey Carthage32! You'll definitely be notified, it's only a matter of time! As far as I know, the letters to successful/unsuccessful applicants are mailed out at the same time, but transit time will depend on your location. It will go to the address you indicated on your application (that's what confused some people last year). And it's completely normal for your online application to say "nothing to display." It just means that the current application cycle has closed and SSHRC has purged its online doctoral applications data, which it does every year. Hope you receive positive news soon!

Thank you, Konstantin! That's good to know. I guess maybe the mail has been a bit slow in the last week or so due to the snowstorms here on the east coast.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. It would be disappointing not to make it to the next round this year, after being wait-listed last year. In any case, thank you for your well-wishes!