UNICEF NETI Program Notifications?

gaitanrd

On 12/17/2016 at 1:50 AM, Valéry said:

In the past have you reached this interview stage? If so, how was it? @carrotflowers

Hi Valery.  Sorry I didn't reply before, I'm home for the holidays and on family life overdrive.

In case you haven't had yours yet, the interview is competency based, which means they ask you to refer back to particular types of situations and describe how you dealt with them.  This time around it was shorter: I remember there were some 5  or so competency-based questions last year, and this year only 3.  They say the total interview time is around 45 minutes, and in my case that was about right (43 or so).

Hope this helps and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carrotflowers, thanks so much for your posts- super useful for a neti first timer like myself!

Can i ask a quick question? You said you got through to this stage twice before. Did they contact your references both times also or is this the first time they've done that?

Also, did your references confirm they've been in touch or do you think its just an online update on the system. 

I'm in the same position as you and it's so horrible waiting isnt it?!

Best of luck.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:32 PM, BTSBTS said:

Hi Carrotflowers, thanks so much for your posts- super useful for a neti first timer like myself!

Can i ask a quick question? You said you got through to this stage twice before. Did they contact your references both times also or is this the first time they've done that?

Also, did your references confirm they've been in touch or do you think its just an online update on the system. 

I'm in the same position as you and it's so horrible waiting isnt it?!

Best of luck.

Hi! 

They ask for references for anyone that makes it to the interview, they asked both times before as well. And yes, one of my referees confirmed they'd been contacted. 

Best of luck! 

Yes, I was about to say the same- my friend has gone for M&E and that seems to be a very different process once selected. 

Thanks for the response Carrotflowers, I'll climb down from any high hopes if references are another stage in the process! (I've only ever known references sought when an offer is imminent but understand it's a very unique process we are dealing with here)

i have my fingers crossed that's it's third time lucky for you- I don't think I could do it all again!

17 hours ago, BTSBTS said:

Yes, I was about to say the same- my friend has gone for M&E and that seems to be a very different process once selected. 

Thanks for the response Carrotflowers, I'll climb down from any high hopes if references are another stage in the process! (I've only ever known references sought when an offer is imminent but understand it's a very unique process we are dealing with here)

i have my fingers crossed that's it's third time lucky for you- I don't think I could do it all again!

Dear BTSBTS, did your M&E friend have a job simmulation back in November/December? If your friend had already an interview, was it for a specific job or for the M&E general talent pool? 

Thank you everybody for sharing info in this forum, and best of luck with the last stages of selection!

Sorry SG, just realised he is WASH and not M&E. His process sounded very different to social policy and whilst they were interviewed just now for a generic pool, he got the impression they would stay in that pool for up to 3 years and be considered for posts as they came up should he apply for them. Is that similar to M&E?

16 hours ago, BTSBTS said:

Sorry SG, just realised he is WASH and not M&E. His process sounded very different to social policy and whilst they were interviewed just now for a generic pool, he got the impression they would stay in that pool for up to 3 years and be considered for posts as they came up should he apply for them. Is that similar to M&E?

thanks, BTSBTS. For M&E the process seems to be delayed. I have not heard from anyone so far in this job family about having had the interview for the general talent pool; but of course, it might be the case that none of those who made it to the stage of the general talent pool interview writes in this forum...

in any case, in my understanding what you describe for WASH should be the case for NETI in general - i.e. selected applicants are placed on the general talent pool and considered for specific posts for up to 2 years after; isnt it the case for social policy too? 

Hmm I've been rather confused as to how it works myself. Perhaps Carrotflowers can help us out! I had thought it was as you suggest but all I've read on it makes it seem much more structured- i.e. everyone has their induction in NYC at the same time then get assigned to a duty station by a particular date. First year is then a lot of professional development and assessing for longer term performance and second year a continuation of this. After two years you are then free to apply for wider posts within UNICEF. But I've also read it as you and my WASH friend describe. So I have been unsure of how it really works....

On 8 January 2017 at 2:47 PM, BTSBTS said:

Hmm I've been rather confused as to how it works myself. Perhaps Carrotflowers can help us out! I had thought it was as you suggest but all I've read on it makes it seem much more structured- i.e. everyone has their induction in NYC at the same time then get assigned to a duty station by a particular date. First year is then a lot of professional development and assessing for longer term performance and second year a continuation of this. After two years you are then free to apply for wider posts within UNICEF. But I've also read it as you and my WASH friend describe. So I have been unsure of how it really works....

I think both are right: if you are offered a position through NETI, you start it with a 2 week induction training at NYC office, after which you go to your duty station and work there for one or two years (depending on performance evaluation) as a NETI professional, after which you may apply for other posts across UNICEF offices. 

by the way, how come your friend competes for WASH? WASH was not among the job families opened for NETI competition this year. 

Edited by SG_2016

Does anyone know when the expected start date is? I wonder if people from other job families where not interviewed for specific jobs. For instance M&E guys were told the job and location of the job they are interviewing for. i wonder if it is the same case for other guys. I remember TropicalGuy was M&E but he said he received notification telling him to wait for 4 weeks, so maybe he has a different procedure than some of us.

None of my references have said anything about being contacted. And I don't want to ask. The thought of going through that process again makes me ill. Carrotflowers I think the reference contact is a GREAT sign. Here's hoping at least one of us makes it to the other side.

trn I think its okay to talk to your referees about the whole thing. For instance in my case all my referees were former supervisors and we had good relationships with them. I remember one in a country where I worked sometime is the one that brought it to my attention that she had been contacted. 

On 1/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Valéry said:

Does anyone know when the expected start date is? I wonder if people from other job families where not interviewed for specific jobs. For instance M&E guys were told the job and location of the job they are interviewing for. i wonder if it is the same case for other guys. I remember TropicalGuy was M&E but he said he received notification telling him to wait for 4 weeks, so maybe he has a different procedure than some of us.

Your interview invite said the post? Or was it given to you during the interview?

Information sharing: i'm an M&E person, had the interview, references are being checked very soon after the interview. I don't know if that means anything or not. They said that they would let me know the outcome of the process at the start of March. 

It wasn't for a specific role, and they said that they would push for a start date 'before the end of 2017'.