Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

Everyone-- Thanks for all the information. I had no idea that the deadline had been extended. It's nice to have a "network" of people here who are willing to share updates regarding the admissions process. For those of you who are applying to an EdD and/or PhD program at Penn, I noticed that the interview weekends are officially on the Penn GSE calendar. PhD weekend is Feb 6, and EdD weekend is Feb 20. I suspect--based on that info--applicants will start receiving invitations in the next three or four weeks. Good luck, everyone!

Hi, all!  Just trying to keep the conversation going...just wondering if anyone has heard anything?  I suspect it's too early, but I'd love to hear some good news (even if it's not me who is sharing it!).  Fingers crossed for everyone who has contributed to this discussion--I've appreciated all the information and updates--best of luck to all of you!

Hi, all!  Just trying to keep the conversation going...just wondering if anyone has heard anything?  I suspect it's too early, but I'd love to hear some good news (even if it's not me who is sharing it!).  Fingers crossed for everyone who has contributed to this discussion--I've appreciated all the information and updates--best of luck to all of you!

Nothing yet! Will post something on here as soon as I know, though :)

Not yet either. My app status is still "ready for review". Hummm... I'd say we'll start having some news by next week?

Are you guys currently studying st Penn? I was a Fulbright scholar there last year willing to come back! :)

Not yet either. My app status is still "ready for review". Hummm... I'd say we'll start having some news by next week?

Are you guys currently studying st Penn? I was a Fulbright scholar there last year willing to come back! :)

I'm not a student (and never have been a student) at Penn.  That's amazing that you were a Fulbright scholar at Penn!  What did you study?  I take it you enjoyed studying at Penn and living in Philadelphia?  I imagine they will be very impressed with your application, as qualifying as a Fulbright scholar is exceptionally competitive.  I'm sure we'll be hearing good news from you soon!  Best of luck!

Nothing yet! Will post something on here as soon as I know, though :)

I bet you will hear by the end of the month (if not sooner).  By then, your six weeks will have run, even by the most conservative measure (i.e., taking into account the holiday break, etc.).  Hang in there!

I bet you will hear by the end of the month (if not sooner).  By then, your six weeks will have run, even by the most conservative measure (i.e., taking into account the holiday break, etc.).  Hang in there!

Crossing my fingers that this week will bring news! :) It will be the 5th week that my application has been "Ready for Review" (more than that, actually, but I'm not counting the holiday break).

Yeah, Penn and Philadelphia are VERY nice places!!

Hopefully, we will start having some news this week...

Ah!! I studied Educational Linguistics, Teaching Methodology and taught my native language for freshman students. It was a great experience and I had the chance to get to know GSE!

Yeah, Penn and Philadelphia are VERY nice places!!

Hopefully, we will start having some news this week...

Ah!! I studied Educational Linguistics, Teaching Methodology and taught my native language for freshman students. It was a great experience and I had the chance to get to know GSE!

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic!  The more I hear, the more I think you will make the list.  :)

I have been watching the "results" page on this site, and I haven't seen any Penn GSE entries, master's or doctorate.  It makes me think that few (if any) admissions/interview decisions have been made at this point.  I think my chances are pretty slim, but I haven't lost hope! 

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic!  The more I hear, the more I think you will make the list.  :)

I have been watching the "results" page on this site, and I haven't seen any Penn GSE entries, master's or doctorate.  It makes me think that few (if any) admissions/interview decisions have been made at this point.  I think my chances are pretty slim, but I haven't lost hope! 

Don't give up! I have been checking that page a lot, too, and the only Penn entries I've seen are from other schools (science programs).  None from GSE.

Don't give up! I have been checking that page a lot, too, and the only Penn entries I've seen are from other schools (science programs).  None from GSE.

It's so funny that you mention the other programs: Every time I see UPenn, my heart leaps a bit; then I realize it's another program.  I take it you still haven't heard? :(

I think we are all in the same boat.. I had a great experience there, that is very true, but at the same time I dont have a good GRE number ... Plus, my undergraduate studies are from a unknown school in the US. So I also think my chances are slim... In any case, applying is the smartest thing we've done if we want to make it to Penn!

I know most of you are Ph.D applicants but I am applying for the M.S.Ed in Higher Education. Directly out of undergrad, 3.7 GPA, lots of undergrad experience (even working directly under my schools Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs on data and research. Average to above average GRE scores. Still very nervous about UPenn saying no though.

I know most of you are Ph.D applicants but I am applying for the M.S.Ed in Higher Education. Directly out of undergrad, 3.7 GPA, lots of undergrad experience (even working directly under my schools Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs on data and research. Average to above average GRE scores. Still very nervous about UPenn saying no though.

Your stats sound very good! Dont worry too much. When does masters results start coming out??

I applied for an M.S.Ed in Intercultural Communication :)  Best of luck to you!  I'm sure you will be fine.

Your stats sound very good! Dont worry too much. When does masters results start coming out??

Thank you! I hope they are! I also Applied to IU, Iowa, MSU, UGA and UConn. Received invite from IU back in December. I think the masters results come out in late February since the deadline isn't until Feb 1. I think the waiting game is the hardest part though.

I applied for an M.S.Ed in Intercultural Communication :)  Best of luck to you!  I'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck! Maybe we will see each other there next year. Can I ask what your gap and experience is like? I have always been interested in Linguistics but don't think it would be a fit for me.

And I just realized I said linguistics to you, but your Intercultural Communication. (I think I need more caffeine today)

Thank you! I hope they are! I also Applied to IU, Iowa, MSU, UGA and UConn. Received invite from IU back in December. I think the masters results come out in late February since the deadline isn't until Feb 1. I think the waiting game is the hardest part though.

Are you going to Interview Days at IU? I was invited back in December as well

Hopefully I'll see you there! Still trying to figure out how to pay for everything but I'm sure I'll be able to make it up. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get into Penn as well! 

And I just realized I said linguistics to you, but your Intercultural Communication. (I think I need more caffeine today)

Haha no worries!! It is indeed under the Educational Linguistics department.

I am finishing up my undergrad now in Italian and education. I've always been interested in foreign languages, teaching, communicating across cultures, etc.  I'm not entirely sure if I want to go into teaching or the field of study abroad, but I figured that ICC would be applicable to both fields!

Now that I think about it, I know someone at Penn right now who is there for Higher Ed.  If you'd like, I can give you her contact information.  She was very helpful when I first told her I was applying, and she sent me a lot of information and encouraging words!

It blows my mind how areas of study there are at Penn GSE.  I'm not sure any one of us has applied for the same program! 

I noticed on the admissions blog that last year invitations for Phd/EdD weekends were sent during the last week of January; the number of times I am checking my email and the app system has probably become a touch unhealthy considering we probably have at least two more weeks! 

As a general matter, does anyone know whether decisions are emailed or we have to check the application system? 

It blows my mind how areas of study there are at Penn GSE.  I'm not sure any one of us has applied for the same program! 

I noticed on the admissions blog that last year invitations for Phd/EdD weekends were sent during the last week of January; the number of times I am checking my email and the app system has probably become a touch unhealthy considering we probably have at least two more weeks! 

As a general matter, does anyone know whether decisions are emailed or we have to check the application system? 

Same here! :P

I would assume email, since I've gotten into some other programs so far and they have all been through e-mail (or I received an email telling me to check the application system).  Still, I check Penn's app system frequently anyway, just in case!