Waiting Game--how do you deal with the waiting anxiety?

procedural memory

I've moved from endless pondering to pointless swearing.  I swear profusely at my computer (mentally at least) on a far too regular basis.  If no one can actually hear me I string together an impressive number of expletives all verbally directed at my poor innocent laptop.  Sometimes rude hand gestures are included.  From multiple countries.

Anybody else seen Fantastic Mr. Fox? I'm just cussing in my head all the cussing time.

Anybody else seen Fantastic Mr. Fox? I'm just cussing in my head all the cussing time.

That's a great movie! 

I also just realized that I seem to have resorted to non-stop online shopping. I try to justify with "I'll be traveling a lot, I need a new suitcase!" or "I can't wear these boots to interview weekend!" but really.. I should stop.  <_<

It's 5pm my time. ANOTHER WEEK WITHOUT A PEEP FROM THESE OTHER PROGRAMS. WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?1 WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program. 

AGREED. Got my first notice just before 5pm on a Friday three weeks ago... nothing since. COME ON. 

I applied to four competitive grad schools that I'll only hear back from in March. The wait is excruciating, and I daresay more so than the application process itself! The only semi-productive thing I've managed to do this month is come up with a Plan B for the (likely) event that I get rejections across the board. I figured preparing for rejection would make me feel better, but it hasn't helped much - getting four big NOs in March will be absolutely crushing.

I'm also reading Gravity's Rainbow as a distraction, but it's not helping with my anxiety...

Waiting for CPA exam results was more acutely painful.  But waiting for these results is a much more chronic pain as it takes longer to get them and it is more random as to when you will get them.  But for me, anxiety only came after I got my first response.

Ok, I definitely will try to post on this site way less when the first day of February starts tomorrow. 

Edited by Guest

I haven't heard ANYTHING and living with the uncertainty is really tough. At this point, I just want to hear one way or the other so I can start planning. 

I guess the only thing to do is to *try not to think about it*...

Yeah, right.....

Until earlier this week the solution was wine and sweets. Now that I have insomnia with the onset of February I've decided to exercise---a good jog or yoga, to exhaust the body, and also to cook---not only healthy but it takes time!

Not in school now, so one of my advisors gently suggested that I keep on reading in my field of interest---all the more difficult after a tough interview yesterday (fears of being shut out abound) but am going to try to take the advice.

So this is probably weird, but I was freaking out today over an MIT interview, so I baked a loaf of bread.

Pros:

• Measuring ingredients is really relaxing
  • It's cheaper than buying bread
  • Nothing cures anxiety like a carb binge
  • My anxiety manifests itself in loaves of fresh, warm bread

Cons:

• Can anyone even actually eat this much bread
  • My kitchen is seriously going to be flooded with loaves of bread by April 15th
  • Seriously, does anyone want some free bread

I've bought some really good classical music (such as Alison Balsom) off iTunes and when I get overly worried or stressed out, I take a hot shower with the lights out and an aromatherapy candle burning while my music plays.  Or, I sip hot chocolate, wine, or tea (depending on day/time) while I listen to classical music.  Sometimes I listen to a good Terry Pratchett novel (they're all good, actually) on Audible while I play a rousing game of Age of Empires and solidly defeat Napoleon or Ivan the Terrible.

I've bought some really good classical music (such as Alison Balsom) off iTunes and when I get overly worried or stressed out, I take a hot shower with the lights out and an aromatherapy candle burning while my music plays.  Or, I sip hot chocolate, wine, or tea (depending on day/time) while I listen to classical music.  Sometimes I listen to a good Terry Pratchett novel (they're all good, actually) on Audible while I play a rousing game of Age of Empires and solidly defeat Napoleon or Ivan the Terrible.

I find hot showers are often the best way to deal with my stress. Never thought to turn the lights off and light an aromatherapy candle though! Totally doing this soon.

If I don't have homework (which does anyone find it's harder to concentrate on during this wait?) then I either watch Netflix or listen to some of my vinyl records while I crochet. Then about once a week I do have to bake something as well. 

Today I was really hoping to go for a nice long morning run, but turns out it snowed all night, and now all the roads are stiff frozen... so... being indoors all day, I guess it's another challenge to avoid any temptation of checking my emails :(

Those small moments by myself (bus ride, waking up, etc.) tend to be when I stress the most, so I play words with friends (which I ironically play with people I do not know -- has anyone else noticed this?). 

I feel to guilty about wasting water to take a long shower, but I keep finding excuses to take extra ones -- maybe I'm subconsciously dealing with the stress? 

Baking. Bake all the things! 

I also annoy my boyfriend with 'what ifs' for getting into different schools (or not getting in anywhere). 

Already in at a few programs but one of my longshots is taking forever (and by forever I mean just over a week...) to get back to me after a Skype interview. Fighting all urges to email her pestering about where the process is at. Part of me wants to say "hey, look at this! I got in at X, Y, and Z--don't you want me soooo much more now?!?"

Does anyone have a strategy for not checking email every ten minutes? And I mean literally every ten minutes. I'm thinking of trying something like "ten pushups every time you check your email," which would either help me check it less often or make me really, really strong  :lol:

Does anyone have a strategy for not checking email every ten minutes? And I mean literally every ten minutes. I'm thinking of trying something like "ten pushups every time you check your email," which would either help me check it less often or make me really, really strong  :lol:

Push notifications on your phone and Outlook (or Mail/Sparrow on Mac) on desktop--that way you don't have to check, you just get them right away.

Edited by Tolman's Rat

Push notifications on your phone and Outlook (or Mail/Sparrow on Mac) on desktop--that way you don't have to check, you just get them right away.

That doesn't stop me from checking my updates folder in Gmail or my spam folder every ten minutes. Or looking for the blue blinking light on my phone. :(