Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

I am so glad that this was made!

Undergrad Institution: Small private liberal arts school

Major(s): BA Psychology
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: I went to three different schools so if all three are accounted then 3.4, if just my degree granting institution, than 3.9
Position in Class: top 5-10%
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156 - 64%
V: 158 - 74%
W: 5.0 - 93% 

Research Experience:

2.5 years in cognitive neuroscience lab. Only research assistant. 5 different projects in which I was sole programmer and implementer. Paper in review. Poster presentation at international convention in March.

2 years in Clinical/Social Psychology Lab - Only undergraduate. 3 different projects. Designed, programmed, and lead 1 project. 

4 months in Animal Behavior Lab- Nothing special here.

1 year sequence in Experimental Psychology- conducted individual research project 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Psi Chi National Honor Society

Alpha Chi National Honor Society

Member of Universities research society

Secretary of my schools chapter of Alpha Chi

Graduating Summa Cum Laude

Dean's List every semester

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

2 years of pharmacy technician at CVS

2 years of tutoring other college students in statistics and various psychology courses

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Already  had a phone interview with PI at University of Colorado Boulder. We spent 45 minutes talking about our research projects and my interest in graduate studies. He said my research would fit perfectly in there lab but gave no indication that I was definitely going to be admitted. He said that they'll review apps around Dec. 15th.

I know that I had three great letters of recommendation since I have been working with my recommenders for so long and we often just chill in their offices just shooting the breeze. They tell me that I shouldn't have an issue getting in but why would I do the completely sane thing of listening to them? I'd rather drive my self crazy lol.

Applying to Where:
UC Irvine- Neuroscience

UC Berkeley- Neuroscience

UCLA- Neuroscience

UC Davis- Neuroscience

UC San Diego- Neuroscience

USC- Neuroscience

NYU- Neural Science

Duke- Neurobiology

UNC- Neurobiology

University of Colorado- Cognitive Neuroscience (psych department)

University of Iowa- Neuroscience

University of Illinois- Neuroscience

Some days I will be jumping with joy thinking "there's no way that I won't get into any school' while other days I'm laying face down on the floor contemplating my future since there is no way that I will ever get into a PhD program. This is certainly a roller coaster of emotions lol. I know I aimed high with some schools but I am hoping that they don't focus on my GRE and look at my research experience and great LOR's. 

I wish the best of luck to you all in this process!

I am so glad that this was made!

Undergrad Institution: Small private liberal arts school

Major(s): BA Psychology

Minor(s): 

GPA in Major: 4.0

Overall GPA: I went to three different schools so if all three are accounted then 3.4, if just my degree granting institution, than 3.9

Position in Class: top 5-10%

Q: 156 - 64%

V: 158 - 74%

W: 5.0 - 93% 

Research Experience:

2.5 years in cognitive neuroscience lab. Only research assistant. 5 different projects in which I was sole programmer and implementer. Paper in review. Poster presentation at international convention in March.

2 years in Clinical/Social Psychology Lab - Only undergraduate. 3 different projects. Designed, programmed, and lead 1 project. 

4 months in Animal Behavior Lab- Nothing special here.

1 year sequence in Experimental Psychology- conducted individual research project 

Psi Chi National Honor Society

Alpha Chi National Honor Society

Member of Universities research society

Secretary of my schools chapter of Alpha Chi

Graduating Summa Cum Laude

Dean's List every semester

2 years of pharmacy technician at CVS

2 years of tutoring other college students in statistics and various psychology courses

Already  had a phone interview with PI at University of Colorado Boulder. We spent 45 minutes talking about our research projects and my interest in graduate studies. He said my research would fit perfectly in there lab but gave no indication that I was definitely going to be admitted. He said that they'll review apps around Dec. 15th.

I know that I had three great letters of recommendation since I have been working with my recommenders for so long and we often just chill in their offices just shooting the breeze. They tell me that I shouldn't have an issue getting in but why would I do the completely sane thing of listening to them? I'd rather drive my self crazy lol.

Applying to Where:

UC Irvine- Neuroscience

UC Berkeley- Neuroscience

UCLA- Neuroscience

UC Davis- Neuroscience

UC San Diego- Neuroscience

USC- Neuroscience

NYU- Neural Science

Duke- Neurobiology

UNC- Neurobiology

University of Colorado- Cognitive Neuroscience (psych department)

University of Iowa- Neuroscience

University of Illinois- Neuroscience

Some days I will be jumping with joy thinking "there's no way that I won't get into any school' while other days I'm laying face down on the floor contemplating my future since there is no way that I will ever get into a PhD program. This is certainly a roller coaster of emotions lol. I know I aimed high with some schools but I am hoping that they don't focus on my GRE and look at my research experience and great LOR's. 

I wish the best of luck to you all in this process!

Hello, I just thought I'd ask a question since you applied to many of the same schools as I did, and your major is Psych. Did you apply to cognitive neuroscience programs or want to do research with in a cognitive psych lab? I only ask this since your research experience is in that field and your a psych major and neuroscience programs require a background in biology and chemistry. I majored in psych but took all of the things bio and neuro majors take, but if you don't have that background it may be disqualifying unless your applying to cog psych/neuro programs. I don't know your situation, but I thought I'd mention it.

Hello, I just thought I'd ask a question since you applied to many of the same schools as I did, and your major is Psych. Did you apply to cognitive neuroscience programs or want to do research with in a cognitive psych lab? I only ask this since your research experience is in that field and your a psych major and neuroscience programs require a background in biology and chemistry. I majored in psych but took all of the things bio and neuro majors take, but if you don't have that background it may be disqualifying unless your applying to cog psych/neuro programs. I don't know your situation, but I thought I'd mention it.

I am applying mostly to neuroscience programs housed in biology departments to work with PI's who focus on cognitive related issues. My research interests vary depending on the schools I am applying to but they're all concerned with neuroimaging and EEG techniques. I applied to these programs because I find that the research being done in these schools do have a focus on cognitive issues but also try to delve deeper into systems and molecular neuroscience. I prefer a deeper look into the problem at hand. While the research being done through programs housed in psychology departments is good, I didn't find that their research was as intensive. I know that the research varies depending on the PI but this was the impression I got. I also like how neuroscience programs in biology departments have rotations while those in psych departments tend to not.

I have been in contact with every program I have applied to and they encouraged me to apply since they like to have students from a multiple of disciplines. I have taken bio 1, bio 2, Chem 1, Chem 2, Calc 1, Calc 2, and statistics, so I have fulfilled some of their basic science prerequisites but not all. I have a computer science background and can program in 3 different computer languages. I have also taken biological psychology courses as well as tutored peers in those subjects.

I am nervous that my shallow hard science background will disqualify me but I figured I'd take a shot. I may be a fairly unorthodox applicant but I felt that I would be happiest in a biologically based neuroscience program.

Edited by neurojock

Some days I will be jumping with joy thinking "there's no way that I won't get into any school' while other days I'm laying face down on the floor contemplating my future since there is no way that I will ever get into a PhD program. This is certainly a roller coaster of emotions lol.

This is me every day.... just want this month to hurry up!  :P

This is me every day.... just want this month to hurry up!  :P

Or at least let the next two weeks pass by quickly, so I can continue panicking at home while I'm on vacation. At least there will be more distractions!

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 

Major(s): Bioengineering, EE

Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.72
Overall GPA: 3.56
Position in Class: top 30%

Q: 164 - 88%
V: 169-  99%
W: 4.5- 80% 

Research Experience:

1.5 years + summer in neuroscience lab, incorporates applied math and engineering

None really, Dean's List 

None

3 good recs, one of them from a superstar in the field. Another one is positively glowing, also from a famous neuroscientist.

Interested in studying systems neuroscience from a quantitative perspective - network theory, nonlinear dynamics, multielectrode recordings. Hoping the engineering background would help. 

Applying to Where:

(See sig!)

Edited by monkeybrains

Some days I will be jumping with joy thinking "there's no way that I won't get into any school' while other days I'm laying face down on the floor contemplating my future since there is no way that I will ever get into a PhD program.

Yeah, I'm glad somebody said it. I've been an anxious wreck since December 1st passed. 

Based on past years, 2 of my programs (UW, Pittsburgh) are projected to send out interview invites this week (12/8 - 12/12),

4 programs (OHSU, Vanderbilt, Iowa, UC Denver) the next week (12/15-12/19),

and the remaining 2 (Brandeis, Utah) in early January (1/5-1/9).

Mapping shit out gives me some relief. It's out of my hands now.

I heard Vanderbilt IGP has already began sending out invites, but I applied to their NGP track.

Yeah, I'm glad somebody said it. I've been an anxious wreck since December 1st passed. 

Based on past years, 2 of my programs (UW, Pittsburgh) are projected to send out interview invites this week (12/8 - 12/12),

4 programs (OHSU, Vanderbilt, Iowa, UC Denver) the next week (12/15-12/19),

and the remaining 2 (Brandeis, Utah) in early January (1/5-1/9).

Mapping shit out gives me some relief. It's out of my hands now.

I heard Vanderbilt IGP has already began sending out invites, but I applied to their NGP track.

hahaha i did the same thing... it's pointless but i did it too! i also periodically check my application statuses in an attempt to quell my application anxieties but it never helps! so i check this forum a ton...

Undergrad Institution: McGill University (top canadian university)

Major(s): Honours Neuroscience

Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised version):
Q: 170 - 98%
V: 170 - 99%
W: 4.0 - 56% 

Q: 169 - 97%
V: 163 - 92%
W: 5.0 - 93%

I submitted my first score to 4 universities and submitted both scores to 2 universities.

GRE subject Biochemistry:
700 - 97%

TOEFL: 118/120

My mother tongue is French but I am studying at an English-speaking institution. It was not clear if I had to take the test, but I took it anyway. 

Research Experience:

-Independent research project course in human genetics (3 months) 

-Summer internship working on circadian rhythms and cancer- Won an award presenting a poster and we will submit a paper this month (I will be second author)

-2 independent research projects (total 8 months) in a developmental neurobiology lab - 3 poster presentations

-Honours neuroscience project in a neurophysiology lab (started in August and will work there for the winter term)- I'm a beast at patch clamping and pretty much all my SOPs revolve around this. We will submit a paper to Nature or Science soon and I will probably be 3rd author. I just hope we can submit it before the interviews (if I have any...)

3000$ entrance scholarship

5000$ merit award

Dean's list

Volunteering since last year as a tutor, a mentor and a student research ambassador.

Worked as a pharmacy technician for 4 years, but I think nobody cares about that

Applying to Where:
MIT

Harvard

Columbia

UCLA

Duke

Rockefeller

I thought six universities was standard but it seems like you guys are applying to a hell lot of universities. And it was so much work just for 6 that I submitted my last one just a few hours before the deadline. My three LORs are from past and current research supervisors, so they should be personal and convincing.

I am literally checking my emails every 15 minutes since Dec 1st.  Stressed as hell!

Any thoughts?

Edited by KINGLOUP

I thought six universities was standard but it seems like you guys are applying to a hell lot of universities.

I just died of laughter. Before I joined gradcafe, I had only planned to apply to 4; I, too, was under the impression that 4-8 was standard. I think being on these forums made me anxious and I picked up 4 more.

Your application profile looks solid to me! Welcome to the waiting game.

I think being on Gradcafe constantly makes me feel like 8 is not enough especially with schools on my list but it's too late to worry about that now! Ah well.

Kingloup you've got some really great stats and personally (that's me, I can't speak for the adcoms!) feel you make a very compelling international candidate. What specific areas of neuroscience are you interested in?

I just died of laughter. Before I joined gradcafe, I had only planned to apply to 4; I, too, was under the impression that 4-8 was standard. I think being on these forums made me anxious and I picked up 4 more.

Your application profile looks solid to me! Welcome to the waiting game.

Just don't apply somewhere you don't want to go. It you like the program and research, do it, but don't add schools to your list so you have more numbers. In the off chance you get into only one of your second choice schools, waiting a year and reapplying is way better than going to a place you are not that interested in and having that define your career. It is very hard to turn down a program, even if its not perfect. 

Grad schools hard enough, so make sure you go somewhere you LOVE! And get ready for interview season!!!

To be perfectly honest, this is my second time applying to schools. I was fully committed, lease signed and everything to start and UIUC in Fall 2013 but I had a family emergency that forced me to withdraw and reapply this year. Interviews are a great time and I had a blast. 

Since I had time to reapply, I think my application is stronger with a little professional work, and I have taken some time off with my fiance to go on a bicycle trip. We are riding from northern alaska to Panama before schools starts (~14 months) and we have taken a short break for interview season. 

My point is, have fun with this process. This is about courting, we interview them as much as the other way around. Its a blast!!!!

Just don't apply somewhere you don't want to go. It you like the program and research, do it, but don't add schools to your list so you have more numbers. In the off chance you get into only one of your second choice schools, waiting a year and reapplying is way better than going to a place you are not that interested in and having that define your career. It is very hard to turn down a program, even if its not perfect. 

I understand. I only applied to places I wanted to go, but I started off with the naive view that it wouldn't be that difficult to get in to a school. I picked programs based on my research interests and used the NIH Reporter (seriously great tool: http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm) to find faculty/institutions working in these areas.

I like your attitude about the process! I do like my programs for the "right reasons" (I hope!), but I'm concerned about location, too. For instance, I've never been to Boston (Brandeis), Iowa City, or Pittsburgh. I don't know why I'm so hung up on this, but perhaps it's because I do not like the place that I am currently living.    

I like your attitude about the process! I do like my programs for the "right reasons" (I hope!), but I'm concerned about location, too. For instance, I've never been to Boston (Brandeis), Iowa City, or Pittsburgh. I don't know why I'm so hung up on this, but perhaps it's because I do not like the place that I am currently living.    

It might be tough at times, but in grad school life revolves around lab. When you are not in lab, you just have to get creative. I am from the mountains in Oregon and I had committed to UIUC in central Illinois. 2.5 hour drive of nothing but corn in all directions. BUT, with a good group of friends, a good bar, and a good lab, I believe ANYWHERE can be fun. Its about the people rather than the location in my book. I can understand your concern and I am considering this as a factor too. I am just optimistic with the right fit, I can make anywhere work. 

From the programs you have applied to, here are my two cents:

Brandeis - Boston is phenomenal and the whole east coast is so interconnected. 

OHSU - I am from the Portland area and this city is awesome. 

Vanderbilt - Nashville is the hollywood of the south and it is lively, happening, and beautiful. 

Utah - Salt Lake City is near the outdoors so if you like that, you will love Utah. 

UW - I went to college near Seattle. The Emerald city is happening and phenomenal. 

UC Denver - Denver is cheap living and great resources for people. Bike shares, good sports, fun bars and events, and great people. 

Pitt - I have not been there, but have heard great things

Iowa - I can't speak to this one, but my above reasoning holds. 

I think being on Gradcafe constantly makes me feel like 8 is not enough especially with schools on my list but it's too late to worry about that now! Ah well.

Kingloup you've got some really great stats and personally (that's me, I can't speak for the adcoms!) feel you make a very compelling international candidate. What specific areas of neuroscience are you interested in?

Thanks!

Right now, I am characterizing a novel ion channel in several cell types and I find it pretty cool.   In graduate school, I would be primarily interested in studying ion channels and their role in sensory (e.g. touch transduction) or integrative (e.g. dendritic filtering) functions. Four of the programs that I am applying to have several people doing that (Harvard, Columbia, Rockefeller and Duke). Another subject that I find interesting but that I have less experience with is plasticity. I applied to MIT and UCLA because they have several faculty members using electrophysiology to study plasticity/learning and memory. I only did in vitro electrophysiology so far, but I would be really interested in trying other electrophysiological techniques (in slices, paired recordings, in vivo. etc) to address those questions.

What are your interest thindust?

Also, any other electrophysiologists around?

It might be tough at times, but in grad school life revolves around lab. When you are not in lab, you just have to get creative. I am from the mountains in Oregon and I had committed to UIUC in central Illinois. 2.5 hour drive of nothing but corn in all directions. BUT, with a good group of friends, a good bar, and a good lab, I believe ANYWHERE can be fun. Its about the people rather than the location in my book. I can understand your concern and I am considering this as a factor too. I am just optimistic with the right fit, I can make anywhere work. 

From the programs you have applied to, here are my two cents:

Brandeis - Boston is phenomenal and the whole east coast is so interconnected. 

OHSU - I am from the Portland area and this city is awesome. 

Vanderbilt - Nashville is the hollywood of the south and it is lively, happening, and beautiful. 

Utah - Salt Lake City is near the outdoors so if you like that, you will love Utah. 

UW - I went to college near Seattle. The Emerald city is happening and phenomenal. 

UC Denver - Denver is cheap living and great resources for people. Bike shares, good sports, fun bars and events, and great people. 

Pitt - I have not been there, but have heard great things

Iowa - I can't speak to this one, but my above reasoning holds. 

Thank you for this! I was born and raised in Washington/Oregon, but am currently living in Idaho. The farthest east I've ever traveled is Denver, so I really have no clue what the east coast is like. I always picture streets congested with taxis and tall buildings swallowing the sky, but maybe that's just in the movies.  

Thank you for this! I was born and raised in Washington/Oregon, but am currently living in Idaho. The farthest east I've ever traveled is Denver, so I really have no clue what the east coast is like. I always picture streets congested with taxis and tall buildings swallowing the sky, but maybe that's just in the movies.  

No, you are right on both accounts. So, don't drive and think of it as an urban jungle. Where mountains are in Oregon, phenomenal architecture and history are found in Boston. NYC and Washington DC are easy train rides and you have access to one of the largest and most traveled airports in the US. Cheaper and shorter flights to Europe and a city with so much going on you would be silly to be bored. :-)

Oh boy, am I starting to feel inadequate haha. Ready for the lowest GPA so far? I have to post something so I stop tearing my hair out.

Undergrad Institution: Large state school

Major(s): BS- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Spanish
GPA in Major: All classes relevant to my major, 3.34

Overall GPA: 3.36
Position in Class: Not sure, no rank given
Type of Student: Domestic female (white)

Q: 160 - 78%
V: 162 - 88%
W: 4.5 - 80%

Research Experience:

1.5 years total (but counting)

6 months in an biochemistry lab (undergrad) - studied membrane protein folding

1 year in a biochemistry R&D lab in industry- job focuses on rapid diagnostics testing for food safety

Was on Dean's List for 3 semesters (first semester, then last two)

My current R&D job

Member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars since 2008, (a student cooperative) Executive board for 1 year, (city's student cooperative organization) Board of Directors, House Representative, spent 2 months volunteering in Honduras as an English Teacher two summers ago.

Also, my GPA made a marked rise from my early college career (aside from my first semester). My last two years I recieved nothing under a 3.5 and got a 4.0 many classes, including some of the most difficult ones in my major.

LOR's:

Two from professors (one being the director of Biochemistry at my school and the other was my professor in my Biochemistry lab) and the other from my supervisor at my R&D job (title of Associate Research Scientist)

SOP:

I worked on this for about 2.5 months straight, and got tons of critiques from professors, friends, and professionals, and I believe it's just about as perfectly manicured as I can personally make it. People seem to think it's pretty strong, so hopefully I can believe them.

Applying to Where:
UC Irvine

UC Davis

USC

UCLA

UNC

Emory

Debating if I should apply to UGA as a safety

All for Pharmacology (conc. Neuropharm)

Yeesh, there it all is. I can't stand that my GPA is just too low to not really be competitive. Any thoughts? Some days I feel confident that I'll get in somewhere, and other days I feel like I'm totally boned. Should I apply to UGA as a safety? I don't really want to go there, but if I don't get in anywhere else I'm basically stuck around here in the cold for another year and I'm itching so badly to get out.

Yeesh, there it all is. I can't stand that my GPA is just too low to not really be competitive. Any thoughts? Some days I feel confident that I'll get in somewhere, and other days I feel like I'm totally boned. Should I apply to UGA as a safety? I don't really want to go there, but if I don't get in anywhere else I'm basically stuck around here in the cold for another year and I'm itching so badly to get out.

I wouldn't apply to a school you don't want to go. You may want to consider getting a research assistant position if you don't get in anywhere. Most schools hold research experience in high regard and that may offset your GPA (plus you can try to find someplace warmer).

I feel like I should be more stressed in terms of the grad school process. Besides a letter coming in a day before the deadline, I'm not feeling too bad about the process. I kind of wish it didn't suck up my earnings, though.

If you don't want to go there, don't apply. If you don't get it, you can work some more and build your package a bit more. Research experience can definitely overcome a low GPA, and your's is above 3.0, so it is overcomeable. If you are itching to get out, then move and get another job. You aren't stuck and grad school is not an escape, it is a next step. You have good research, so hope for the best and then think of next steps when you have all the information. 

What are your interest thindust?

Also, any other electrophysiologists around?

I asked because I am an electrophys person myself! I've sadly only done fields to study hippocampal plasticity. I was very keen on learning patch, but my supervisor insisted that it is not realistic as an honors thesis if I didn't have the summer to spend learning (which I spent in another lab back home) based on her experience. True enough, a masters student in the lab for whom she relented and allowed to do patch eventually gave up after a few months :o and had to learn fields in a panic to get some data for his thesis, so I totally respect people like you who master patch clamping in such a short time. 

I am applying to 3 of your schools for the same reason! A lot of very exciting work done with techniques that I feel really goes deep down to the physiology - that excites me. I really want to do some in vivo electrophysiology, so I think we probably have overlapping labs of interest as well! Apart from that, in almost all my applications I indicated my interest in systems neuroscience, because I really interested in circuits - network processing, how they give rise to meaningful oscillations and of course, how they ultimate generate coherent behaviors - I can go on forever  :P

Not too sure how far away from home you'd be willing to go to do your PhD, but you might want to consider applying to University College London as well since their deadline is quite late. There are labs like Michael Hausser's, Angus Silver's or Troy Margrie's with work that fit your interests too. Although I believe in the UK the funding issues related to internationals applying for PhD positions is even more stark than in the States, they do have quite a few fellowships open to internationals if you're keen  ;) And London is absolutely lovely.

Edited by thindust

I asked because I am an electrophys person myself! I've sadly only done fields to study hippocampal plasticity. I was very keen on learning patch, but my supervisor insisted that it is not realistic as an honors thesis if I didn't have the summer to spend learning (which I spent in another lab back home) based on her experience. True enough, a masters student in the lab for whom she relented and allowed to do patch eventually gave up after a few months :o and had to learn fields in a panic to get some data for his thesis, so I totally respect people like you who master patch clamping in such a short time. 

I am applying to 3 of your schools for the same reason! A lot of very exciting work done with techniques that I feel really goes deep down to the physiology - that excites me. I really want to do some in vivo electrophysiology, so I think we probably have overlapping labs of interest as well! Apart from that, in almost all my applications I indicated my interest in systems neuroscience, because I really interested in circuits - network processing, how they give rise to meaningful oscillations and of course, how they ultimate generate coherent behaviors - I can go on forever  :P

Not too sure how far away from home you'd be willing to go to do your PhD, but you might want to consider applying to University College London as well since their deadline is quite late. There are labs like Michael Hausser's, Angus Silver's or Troy Margrie's with work that fit your interests too. Although I believe in the UK the funding issues related to internationals applying for PhD positions is even more stark than in the States, they do have quite a few fellowships open to internationals if you're keen  ;) And London is absolutely lovely.

My supervisor was also hesitant at first as he told me that it usually takes 3 to 6 months for someone to get good at it. I started in September, patched 60 hours/week, and by October  I was better than the grad students in my lab. It requires persistence, and I can understand that some people quit. It's simply not for everyone to sit in a dark room and poke cells 16 hours straight. 

By the way, fields recordings to study hippocampal plasticity looks cool. The only added thing with patch clamping is the struggle to get that indescribable gigaseal, which you probably heard of.

I considered applying to UK schools, but the fact that doctoral programs are only 3-4 years scared me away. I am not interested in their one-year taught masters either. I think the US/Canada model with longer and more research-centered PH.D. programs would  allow me to get more publications. Plus as you said, funding in the UK is no that good for international students (even though my country part of the commonwealth). Attending a UK program would cost 15,000-20,000$ (Canadian) per year whereas I would get full funding at any of the US schools I'm applying to.

I wouldn't apply to a school you don't want to go. You may want to consider getting a research assistant position if you don't get in anywhere. Most schools hold research experience in high regard and that may offset your GPA (plus you can try to find someplace warmer).

I feel like I should be more stressed in terms of the grad school process. Besides a letter coming in a day before the deadline, I'm not feeling too bad about the process. I kind of wish it didn't suck up my earnings, though.

If you don't want to go there, don't apply. If you don't get it, you can work some more and build your package a bit more. Research experience can definitely overcome a low GPA, and your's is above 3.0, so it is overcomeable. If you are itching to get out, then move and get another job. You aren't stuck and grad school is not an escape, it is a next step. You have good research, so hope for the best and then think of next steps when you have all the information. 

*sigh* You both are right and I know it. I just hate feeling caged in, having applied to only 6 schools, all of which seem like they may be a long shot. I thought that they seemed reasonable at first, but I'm beginning to doubt myself more and more. My R&D job in industry should qualify as research equivalent to that done in an academic environment, right? I don't think it would be a good idea to look for other jobs in warmer spots because I feel like it would look better to have two years of experience in the same job than a year of experience here and a year of experience there. It just seems to me like two years would look more solid. But this is all assuming that I don't get in somewhere. I'm really, really hoping that I get in somewhere. I'm ready to get this underway, I feel stagnant with just a BS.

And I know grad school is supposed to be the next step, but I don't see why it can't also be an escape ;)