Going Crazy...

yin-bodhi

Is anyone applying to MA Asian Studies programs? I am so tired of waiting and checking my studpid email. The results page on this site shows one admit to Stanford's program which leads me to believe I am to receive an unwanted letter of rejection!

Admits: None

Waiting: Stanford, UMich, UPenn, Duke, Ohio State

P.S. If any of you out there have been accepted by any of these school in EAS, please let me down easy.

I hope everyone hears somthing (good) soon! Good luck with your interview tomorrow, forensic! I am anxiously awaiting a reply from Northeastern's Sociology Department. Let me know what you think of the campus.
i wasn't really that impressed to be honest, the inteview was really brief, we'll just have to wait and see.

Guest Twister

Hey guys...

I applied to 6 schools (MIT, Stanford, WashU, Carnegie, Georgia Tech, Boston) all bioengineering/biomedical engineering/biological engineering programs and I've already been rejected by Stanford, a couple of weeks ago..I don't know what chances I have for MIT because I see that someone got an interview offer from the same program on Feb 1, while I still have nothing...and I also see that there have been a few acceptance offers for WashU and GeorgiaTech, and meanwhile, I continue to wait..sigh...I haven't been able to bring myself to do much the entire week..other than frantically checking my e-mails sigh sigh sigh, hope next week will bring some good news

I don't know, I think it's a good idea to call and check, but i'm too scared. :!:

it is not a good idea to call unless you know there is some sort of problem like the letter was sent but hasn't arrived for some time.

Calling just makes everyone wait longer and longer by slowing down the process.

i'm waiting for northeastern MA sociology too, as well as BU (MA), BC (phd), Brandeis (phd) & UMass Amherst (phd). its driving me crazy! and for the ones w. the feb 1st deadline, its just going to take forever (northeastern & umass) ughh.

hello guest,

did you hear back from BU or Brandeis? Umass Amherst will take a bit I think.I also applied for Brandeis Sociology ... and Peace Psy at Amherst. Still waiting as well.

-Judith

hi - i can give you an update on brandeis - i met with the department chair and the professor in charge of the admission committe a few weeks ago (mid Feb - not an interview they set up - i set it up with them bc i had been in contact with the department chair because i'm interested in his work). They had winter break last week, and decisions will be made this week or next week. They said expect to get something in the mail the 2nd - 3rd week in March. They have 3 fully funded positions this year (funding for 4 years) and expect to acccept only 1 or 2 more than that. He said they had between 80-100 applicants this year.

BU i haven't heard from - have you? I also haven't heard from UMAss, but I kind of expected that.

i hope that info helps - Brandeis is my top choice and i really hope that i get some good news from them!!

OK, I've officially decided if my last school is a rejection- I don't want to know!! I'll just show up anyway. :)

Cherish your waiting time, because once you know the awful truth (unless you get accepted in which case, it will have all been worth it) it doesn't get any easier.

Thanks for the update on Brandeis! Valuable info! A very small % will get in ... it is good to know when decisions will be made soon. It makes life a bit easie :)

I did not apply to BU - someone else on this forum did - that is why I asked.

And no ... nothing from Umass Amherst, but not expecting anything yet with their later deadline.

Thanks so much for the share!

Judith

Guest j. lloyd
sallyann said:
I'm waiting for:

Brown Modern Culture and Media PhD

Chicago Cinema Studies PhD

NYU Cinema Studies PhD

If anyone has a clue about timelines...I would be very appreciative!

I'm freaking out, as well. I just want to know already! :?

I would like to hear about your experience. My fiancee received her Master's in Film Criticism. She was thinking about doing a PhD in Cinema Studies too, but she thinks it's probably too focused.

As for me, I was getting my PhD in Cultural Studies at Claremont Graduate University last fall (Fall 2005). Because administrators didn't tell incoming students that the two professors who constituted the department weren't going to be around in the fall, even though they knew this in May 2005, I decided to get the hell out ASAP. I didn't return for the Spring semester. I'm waiting on:

Purdue = joint Communication + Philosophy, PhD

Purdue = English, PhD

University of Illinois = Communications, PhD

I already have a Master degree, so I hope that helps.

Every conscious moment I'm waiting for that email arrival "tring" of outlook...this is the only music to my ears these days! I have configured outlook to download mails every 3 minutes from the server, and yet I need to refresh it in between. I wait impatiently for the mailman to come everyday and when I'm at school I'm thinking about the mail and wondering if I'll receive a rejection letter today. When I'm at school, sitting in a lecture ,TAing , no matter what I'm doing, I'm just thinking about it. I log into my online application accounts at least twice everyday, to see if the status has changed or not. I have applied for a PhD in Computer Science and have heard only from one school(a safe one) and this whole process is driving me nuts and making me less and less productive...I need to know the results :(

Guest evelyn

I would like to remind everyone to never hold 2 offers...make your decision and let the program know if you will not be accepting. Those of us wait-listed will really appreciate that!! Thanks! :roll:

it is not a good idea to call unless you know there is some sort of problem like the letter was sent but hasn't arrived for some time.

Calling just makes everyone wait longer and longer by slowing down the process.

I e-mailed a school and I'm glad I did because I think they lost one of my letters. The guy was very nice about the whole thing and is willing to work with me if something happened to the letter. I was told to wait until tomorrow to call and the letter hasn't been posted on-line, so I will call tomorrow afternoon. UGH! This is the only thing they need!

On varoius other forums, I have read about people hovering over there email with anticipation. They see their inbox flashing only to find spam or other junk instead. I had something similiar happen to me, but less flattering. I have gmail and use it to back up files and documents and such. I email myself stuff to back up. I alt tap over to another web page for a second to check something(my internet connection is slow). I looked down and see my gmail box flashing with a new message. I excitingly direct the mouse to bring up the other web page. Who could it be? Northwestern, University of Chicago, ... Only to find that it is my own backup email i sent but a few seconds ago. I found myself not only feeling disappointed but rather foolish.

Guest Boat Meadow

So I get home yesterday and there it is - staring me in the face - a small envelop from my top choice school. Damn. I flip it over and see that it's not even sealed - great - now even my postman knows I'm a loser - he hates me anyway because of my dog - this must bring him great satisfaction. At least it made somebody's day.

I open it up to find that the school was just returning my application fee - they decided to waive them this year (the program is just starting). So not only is it not (yet) a ding but I get my $50 back!

Whew...

The wait continues...

I can't wait any longer... I NEED an answer. :( I called the departments to find out if the decisions had been made and how the applicants would be contacted. I didn't even state my name because I am so afraid to jeopardize anything by even annoying the admin! I barely slept last night. I check my email obssessively, and I can't focus on my work. I haven't received ANYTHING yet. I am so afraid that its a bad sign! Atleast I know that 4 out the 6 programs I have applied to haven't sent anything out yet, so the waiting game continues. AaaGhhH... even an acceptance to a MA acceptance would make me happy. I just need to know that I can be in a grad program next year!!!!!

Anyways, hang in there everyone! Best of luck!

I can't wait any longer... I NEED an answer. :( I called the departments to find out if the decisions had been made and how the applicants would be contacted. I didn't even state my name because I am so afraid to jeopardize anything by even annoying the admin! I barely slept last night. I check my email obssessively, and I can't focus on my work. I haven't received ANYTHING yet. I am so afraid that its a bad sign! Atleast I know that 4 out the 6 programs I have applied to haven't sent anything out yet, so the waiting game continues. AaaGhhH... even an acceptance to a MA acceptance would make me happy. I just need to know that I can be in a grad program next year!!!!!

I know EXACTLY how you feel...you're not alone. Best of luck to us!

Cleaning worked really well as a distraction tonight. I dusted every single corner, filed papers from years ago, and reorganized closets It sounds like more than it was...it only took three hours. Try it. :wink: Atleast you'll feel accomplished outside academia.

Next, on to doing my nails (I haven't "done" them in about 3 yrs!)

I know the feeling. Everytime I checked my email I felt my heart was in my throat. I have got it from Brown, but dying to hear from others since I hate Rhode Island...My friends in Maths and Statistics have got it from Columbia! In comparison, I went crazy when I emailed Princeton and they told me their decision will be out later than Mar 17th! I guess they're killing me...Almost every night I would dream I was rejected by Princeton...and woke up during the nightmare. :cry:

I know the feeling. Everytime I checked my email I felt my heart was in my throat. I have got it from Brown, but dying to hear from others since I hate Rhode Island...My friends in Maths and Statistics have got it from Columbia! In comparison, I went crazy when I emailed Princeton and they told me their decision will be out later than Mar 17th! I guess they're killing me...Almost every night I would dream I was rejected by Princeton...and woke up during the nightmare. :cry:

Have you been to Providence, though? It's actually kind of a hip town, and only a few hours from Boston and NYC. And the Great Chowder Cookoff! Plus Brown is a great school, at least in the fields I'm familiar with (philosophy/english)--I'd be hapy to go there.