That fake out moment!

Read_books

Today while doing the morning check of applications I realized one of the portals looked different. Instead of "application pending" there were different links talking about fincial aid, and money and scheduling classes. I flipped out, as this was my first choice school, I anxiously waited for the site to finish loading.

Then site loaded back to the default "application pending." I had already pulled out my phone to call my Dad with news of my acceptance :(

For another school I keep recieving emails and getting oh-so-excited at seeing the University's name in my email. The first line "The faculty and staff welcome....... your interest in our x program at the University x" Sent me in a tailspin, only to realize the email is generic and sent to everyone about the school's program, also welcoming ME to the program and welcoming my interest are two very different things. Also, the last line of "and we hope you will choose to study here" is just a kick in the gut because it's like uh I applied- YOU decide if I study there or not at this point.

COME ON SCHOOLS - GET IT TOGETHER PLEASE

IKR  <_<

I've also gotten tons of generic emails like thank you for applying at xyz, I am like of course you're happy with the application fee I paid, now just get back to me with an answer! 

God knows how many times my heart flips when I see an email notification on my phone, lol

This totally happened to me in December. It was right around the time WashU was sending out invites for the biology program, and I got an e-mail saying "A message from the biology department" or something very similar, and it was sent by the department secretary, so I didn't really have any idea where exactly it was coming from based on that alone. However, since I applied to only one program that was called Biology (all of my other applications were for EEB or Environmental Science programs), I assumed it was WashU! Then I opened it, and it was from Indiana University letting me know that my application was being sent to the department for review. It was so disappointing! 

This past week, I've also been getting lots of e-mails from school related to billing and registration and whatnot, plus some e-mails from my advisor. I get so excited when I see the e-mail icon on my cell phone... and then get let down. I shouldn't even get that excited, since I know that invites for my top programs don't go out until at least the end of next week, if not later.

Oh man. For the two who recieved emails with the word "congratulations" - I have no words!

I wonder if they do it on purpose to keep us on the hook. They are like well... We are still deciding on this applicant so let's get their hopes up for a minute so if we do accept them they will want to come here!

Got my first fake out email. It's from an institute associated with GMU and they have info on how I can get scholarships towards my phd. Ugh I don't know how they got my email, but I'm too tense for this nonsense haha

I get spammy e-mails from a few universities due to taking the GRE, but they get sent to a different e-mail address (Gmail). So I have the Gmail app on my phone and the regular e-mail app which I use for my school account. Now and then I'll see an e-mail with the title "An invitation from admissions" on my Gmail account and for a split second I'll get excited... and then realize it's Gmail and just an invitation to some online open house. Blah!

I get spammy e-mails from a few universities due to taking the GRE, but they get sent to a different e-mail address (Gmail). So I have the Gmail app on my phone and the regular e-mail app which I use for my school account. Now and then I'll see an e-mail with the title "An invitation from admissions" on my Gmail account and for a split second I'll get excited... and then realize it's Gmail and just an invitation to some online open house. Blah!

Same here. I quickly got off all those lists... although I occasionally get them still.

Today I realized I returned a form as part of the application that was blank.... doh.

I had a panic attack a few days ago when I noticed I missed a call from a weird area code. They left a voice mail, and I was 99.999% sure it was from one of my programs. I was so nervous, by accident I clicked "call back" instead of "play message." Then I started to stab the "end call" option. I was ready to throw my phone like I was holding a live grenade, and this entire drama occurred in the middle of a grocery store. Finally, when I listened to the message, it was a friend that left something at my apartment on New Years Eve.  :wacko:

In addition to PhD programs I've also applied to a single law school. The LSAC site is universal across all law schools so EVERYONE has my info. I've been receiving 5+ emails a day for a month from law schools (most of which I've never even heard of) urging me to apply or offer me application fee waivers. So many are from "The Admissions Office at..." and I panic every single time. It's putting me on edge so much at this point that I'm starting to wish I hadn't applied to a joint degree program with a law school.

In addition to PhD programs I've also applied to a single law school. The LSAC site is universal across all law schools so EVERYONE has my info. I've been receiving 5+ emails a day for a month from law schools (most of which I've never even heard of) urging me to apply or offer me application fee waivers. So many are from "The Admissions Office at..." and I panic every single time. It's putting me on edge so much at this point that I'm starting to wish I hadn't applied to a joint degree program with a law school.

You can unsubscribe from a lot of them. Look for the link in teeeeny tiny print at the bottoms of the e-mails.

Edited by jujubea

You can unsubscribe from a lot of them. Look for the link in teeeeny tiny print at the bottoms of the e-mails.

I've been doing that for a lot of schools but then more schools start. It never ends... (How many law schools are there?!?! Ha.)

I received a mailed letter from the University of Oregon today that said "I am pleased... you have applied" and gave me some basic information like my ID number and websites to get more information while I wait for the decision.

I feel like if I'm getting something in the mail it should be big news! My family was even waiting for me to open it and everything.

I received a mailed letter from the University of Oregon today that said "I am pleased... you have applied" and gave me some basic information like my ID number and websites to get more information while I wait for the decision.

I feel like if I'm getting something in the mail it should be big news! My family was even waiting for me to open it and everything.

Oh no. Snail mail should be resolved for good or bad news, not basic info.

I tried unsubbing but U of Portland is not taking no for an answer and are spamming me hard. "We've waived your application fee!" "Here's your welcome package!" They even sent me a full paper application in the mail.  :mellow:

I tried unsubbing but U of Portland is not taking no for an answer and are spamming me hard. "We've waived your application fee!" "Here's your welcome package!" They even sent me a full paper application in the mail.  :mellow:

Haha jeez. Well, you must be a pretty good grad catch then anyway!

This is why I'm hesitant to try to get myself off these lists. Once they find out I'm actually reading my email, the spam might go through the roof! Most of the spam should dissipate in a few months, although I've been getting the same emails from RUSM every few months for 3 years.

I'lol take your spam LOL. Portland? Ok!

"Dear FoggyAnhinga,

Thank you for your application! As an application to University of Waiting Too Long, you have been issued both a Student ID number and a WTL (waiting too long) ID."

Providing us with student ID for the schools we applied to (as though we are fully enrolled students there) seem like a deceptive practice, especially when we haven't even been admitted yet!! 

"Dear FoggyAnhinga,

Thank you for your application! As an application to University of Waiting Too Long, you have been issued both a Student ID number and a WTL (waiting too long) ID."

Providing us with student ID for the schools we applied to (as though we are fully enrolled students there) seem like a deceptive practice, especially when we haven't even been admitted yet!!

University of Waiting Too Long...ha.

I received one from USC, or maybe it was Minnesota? I can't even remember now but I thought the same as you. It's like "Haha, here's something to connect you to the school. We'll see if you actually need it!"

Glad I'm not the only one who finds it weird that some schools issue id numbers to applicants. One of my schools gave me an id number as soon as I applied... it was printed on my confirmation page after submitting!