That fake out moment!

Read_books

"Dear FoggyAnhinga,

Thank you for your application! As an application to University of Waiting Too Long, you have been issued both a Student ID number and a WTL (waiting too long) ID."

Providing us with student ID for the schools we applied to (as though we are fully enrolled students there) seem like a deceptive practice, especially when we haven't even been admitted yet!! 

The University of Michigan does this, and if memory serves me right, so does NYU. 

The University of Michigan does this, and if memory serves me right, so does NYU. 

Yeah, NYU does it constantly! I got 3 email confirmations of my submission, and a Happy Holidays email from them...

Linguistics deadlines are significantly later than some other programs', but that doesn't stop the graduate school from sending out general emails about it! About a month and a half before the ling deadline, I got an email that said in enormous red letters: "DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE!!" It came while I was at work, and I panicked and read through all of the ling department admissions pages to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Also, I faked out my roommate yesterday: "I was accepted--" *Roommate gets all excited* "--to present at an undergrad conference. Sorry, I should have phrased that better."

Linguistics deadlines are significantly later than some other programs', but that doesn't stop the graduate school from sending out general emails about it! About a month and a half before the ling deadline, I got an email that said in enormous red letters: "DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE!!" It came while I was at work, and I panicked and read through all of the ling department admissions pages to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Also, I faked out my roommate yesterday: "I was accepted--" *Roommate gets all excited* "--to present at an undergrad conference. Sorry, I should have phrased that better."

Was that Maryland? I remember getting that email too...like 3 weeks before the deadline for linguistics haha!

One of my gmail tabs lit up with one of my top program names. 

Turned out it was a "Happy New Year!" email. 

I haven't gotten ANY emails regarding financial aid stuff, housing, ID numbers, anything, from anyone. Crickets. 

"Dear FoggyAnhinga,

Thank you for your application! As an application to University of Waiting Too Long, you have been issued both a Student ID number and a WTL (waiting too long) ID."

Providing us with student ID for the schools we applied to (as though we are fully enrolled students there) seem like a deceptive practice, especially when we haven't even been admitted yet!! 

I got one like this.. but in my mail! Seriously.. You couldn't have just emailed it to me?? When I get a mailed letter, I expect something more than an ID number!

Also, I got an email from a UCDenver recruitment director trying to get my to consider an accelerated program that started out with -  "Congratulations on your admission to UCD’s School of Public Affairs, Master of Public Administration program..." although last I heard, my app was not yet complete and they were still waiting for one of my transcripts. And the email ended with "We’re excited to have you applying for our traditional MPA program..."

I'm guessing the recruitment director misspoke in the first sentence?

I got one like this.. but in my mail! Seriously.. You couldn't have just emailed it to me?? When I get a mailed letter, I expect something more than an ID number!

Also, I got an email from a UCDenver recruitment director trying to get my to consider an accelerated program that started out with -  "Congratulations on your admission to UCD’s School of Public Affairs, Master of Public Administration program..." although last I heard, my app was not yet complete and they were still waiting for one of my transcripts. And the email ended with "We’re excited to have you applying for our traditional MPA program..."

I'm guessing the recruitment director misspoke in the first sentence?

HAHA. An email from Denver is what sparked this whole topic thread!

They repeatedly send confusing emails, and have sent snail mail showing off the "beautiful campus" that I already know about because I applied, like two months ago to. 

I keep getting e-mails from schools that I did NOT apply to urging me to apply to random programs that I'm not interested in. I guess I should not have checked off that box on the GRE that allowed ETS to send my information everywhere. I wish I would hear something from a program that I actually applied to, instead of getting excited over spam mail.

I keep getting e-mails from schools that I did NOT apply to urging me to apply to random programs that I'm not interested in. I guess I should not have checked off that box on the GRE that allowed ETS to send my information everywhere. I wish I would hear something from a program that I actually applied to, instead of getting excited over spam mail.

Agree. I get way too many of these

Edited by montanaquick

Today, while texting with a friend, she told me that she had just received an interview with Northwestern. I immediately became jealous, since I had applied there as well and haven't heard from them. Then I got an email notification.

It was from Northwestern!! But of course it was just a notification to apply to their master's program..

The waiting game sucks! Especially when people you know start getting interviews.

One of my gmail tabs lit up with one of my top program names. 

Turned out it was a "Happy New Year!" email. 

I haven't gotten ANY emails regarding financial aid stuff, housing, ID numbers, anything, from anyone. Crickets. 

You too? I about jumped out of bed this morning (I'm a few timezones ahead) until I saw it was from the Undergraduate Admissions committee telling me how to apply for FAFSA. 

I'm positive Chicago wants to induce a heart attack.  You open your mailbox and are greeted by an email from "The University of Chicago", sent from their grad admissions' email... telling you all about the problem of rescuing endangered languages, their research on Mexico and "interesting" alumni.

I got an official letter in the mail from one of my schools, letterhead, the whole deal. 

It was just to let me know that my application was submitted successfully. You know, a month ago. Like the email I already received had confirmed.

I also received an email directly from one of my POI but, unfortunately, their coordinator was out sick so she was emailing everyone to let them know that their funding applications were received. 

Bah!

Even though the topic of student id numbers just came up, I totally had a fake out this morning. The last school I applied to over the weekend sent me an acknowledgement email about my application and told me my id number plus gave instructions on how to check the status of my application. The deadline isn't until Thursday, and my POI told me that the adcomm wouldn't be meeting until the end of the month, but I still got excited when I saw an email from admissions.

I wrote about this last year:

One of the programs I applied to last year is also my GFs alma mater.  This school periodically sends her mail, sometimes in large envelopes.  I almost lost it when I checked the mail one day and saw one of those large envelopes in there.  Then I realized it was not addressed to me.  

Another program periodically sent me emails....just to tell me that I should log into my account for no other reason than to remind that I can. 

For what it is worth, I got one decision directly in an email; sent directly from the program director.  The rest of the emails only mentioned that a decision had been made and that I am to log on to retrieve it.  The subject line nor the contents of the email gave any indication either way. 

Glad I'm not the only one who finds it weird that some schools issue id numbers to applicants. One of my schools gave me an id number as soon as I applied... it was printed on my confirmation page after submitting!

I believe this is just so you and/or the program can track your application/information.  Not sure about your programs but with a few of my applications the student ID # is what I use to log into my account to check the status of my application. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I believe this is just so you and/or the program can track your application/information.  Not sure about your programs but with a few of my applications the student ID # is what I use to log into my account to check the status of my application.

Yeah, that particular school uses id numbers to log into the system to check my status. All of the others use an email address or username to login and generally use an application number to refer to applications when communicating with the department. I still find it odd... there are only so many id numbers you can have before you have to increase the number of digits, so it seems like a waste of numbers to give every applicant a number.

Yeah, that particular school uses id numbers to log into the system to check my status. All of the others use an email address or username to login and generally use an application number to refer to applications when communicating with the department. I still find it odd... there are only so many id numbers you can have before you have to increase the number of digits, so it seems like a waste of numbers to give every applicant a number.

Hey you're an ecology applicant too! Nice :D

Six of the schools I applied have issued student ID numbers as though I'm already an official student to all these schools haha... yeah it is odd, I personally would prefer keeping my original username/email and password for the application to check my application status. I remember when I applied for master's program several years ago, one of the schools also issued me a student ID, but after I was rejected from that school, they kept my "student ID" for the next six months and kept badgering me via email that my password will soon expire. It took several phone calls to persuade those people at that university's admission office that I'm not attending that university lol.

Six of the schools I applied have issued student ID numbers as though I'm already an official student to all these schools haha... yeah it is odd, I personally would prefer keeping my original username/email and password for the application to check my application status. I remember when I applied for master's program several years ago, one of the schools also issued me a student ID, but after I was rejected from that school, they kept my "student ID" for the next six months and kept badgering me via email that my password will soon expire. It took several phone calls to persuade those people at that university's admission office that I'm not attending that university lol.

I applied to a school like three years ago and they gave me the same student ID number that they gave me last time and when I uploaded my application materials, they still had my old materials on file. It got really confusing because it wouldn't let me upload some things since it thought I had already done it because those old materials were on file.

I've got one. I haven't been hearing much of anything from any programs so far. I get an email titled "Your Application Status" from a program I applied to in November, and I got so excited. Well, it was just the school telling me that they've sent my materials to the department. COOL

There are a bunch of us in the the ecology/evolution/marine bio thread in the biology subforum. Feel free to join us!

I just remembered something from the last application cycle. I was thinking about applying to UC Riverside and made an account in the application system. I ended up not being able to find a POI so I didn't apply. Sometime during the spring semester, I got an email welcoming me to the school and telling me how to log into my new email. It wasn't exactly a fake out, but I was very confused.

And yet another fake out... my school email lit up and I saw the word "graduate." Invites to two of my programs should be going out this week or next, and Friday seems like a great day to send them out. Got excited for a split second, then realized it was a confirmation email for one of my LORs for the last program I applied to. Darn it.

On the bright side, I went 2 days without thinking about applications. I spent Wednesday and Thursday making measurements of museum specimens, which was oddly soothing and satisfying. Plus I got to see behind the scenes at a huge museum. I even got a name badge and employee discount at the cafeteria.