That fake out moment!

Read_books

I've gotten two emails inviting me to "information sessions" in the last week. It's killing me, especially because one of those schools I expect if I don't get an interview invite this week I'm not going to get one at all.

One university sent me emails with the word 'Congratulations' in the subject line . . . so that they could inform me that a recommendation letter had arrived.  Seriously, school?!  You couldn't think of a better word to use with an on-edge person waiting anxiously to hear about acceptance or rejection?

NYU sent me a Christmas email, which I thought was also a bit of a cruel mind game.  And Purdue keeps sending emails inviting me to check out different new developments on their campus, all with that adrenaline-producing word 'invite' in the subject line.

Sometimes I wonder if they torture us for their own amusement.

Honestly! The USC status page has a huge button that says "ADMISSIONS DECISION." Once you click on that, a new page opens up, with big letters across the top that say "The university is pleased to offer you ... the opportunity to send and receive messages through this portal!"

Not cool. 

@grad_wannabe that has been driving me CRAZY everytime I log onto USConnect! Congrats on your acceptance--how did you find out? I've applied to the MA Strategic Public Relations program and could find out anytime between mid-February and LATE APRIL. THIS HAS TO BE ILLEGAL.

@grad_wannabe that has been driving me CRAZY everytime I log onto USConnect! Congrats on your acceptance--how did you find out? I've applied to the MA Strategic Public Relations program and could find out anytime between mid-February and LATE APRIL. THIS HAS TO BE ILLEGAL.

It's SO aggravating, I know!

And thank you! They emailed me a PDF of the official offer letter, with all funding details outlined.

After spending so many weeks waiting for a response, I was surprised and frankly grateful at how quickly the "big reveal moment" happened -- the subject line said "USC Admission Offer Letter." No ambiguous "check your status" message. 

This is a would-be fake-out moment:

I went to check my CU-Boulder application status today, and the whole front page has changed, and it says A FINAL DECISION HAS BEEN MADE on your application, so click on your "Application Status" to check it out. When I click on it, it takes me to the same page I've been seeing for months: application pending.

Now, this is only a would-be fake out moment because they called me earlier today to tell me I was in fact accepted. I would have been going NUTS otherwise.

Honestly! The USC status page has a huge button that says "ADMISSIONS DECISION." Once you click on that, a new page opens up, with big letters across the top that say "The university is pleased to offer you ... the opportunity to send and receive messages through this portal!"

Not cool. 

They HAVE to have planned that for their own sick amusement!  Oh my gosh!

I have a current theory-in-progress that perhaps all of these different departments are working together on some top secret psychology experiment, and we're all just the "Baby Alberts" of tomorrow.

Well it happened to me again today. I got an email that said: "Dear Applicant, Congratulations again on...... submitting your application to XYZ Theological Seminary." 

To make matters worst. I shared with my colleagues how it was cruel for XYZ to send me that fake out email and no one understood why. 

The UPenn prospective student chat is my fake out moment. I praised God when I read the subject line on my cellphone, when I continued reading it, it was just damn!

Had a bit of a fake out last night. Got a phone call from Florida, but it was pretty late to be a school (7:30). Still, I've gotten emails from FIU outside of normal business hours, so I got a little excited. It was just Carnival Cruise Lines trying to sell me another cruise.

Had a bit of a fake out last night. Got a phone call from Florida, but it was pretty late to be a school (7:30). Still, I've gotten emails from FIU outside of normal business hours, so I got a little excited. It was just Carnival Cruise Lines trying to sell me another cruise.

ouch

One of the PhD programs I'm applying to (also top choice and first application submitted) is also the same place I got my master's degree.  About twice a week I get a very official looking letter but nothing I care about.  I wish they knew I had a minor stroke each time they sent me tax information or alumni pleas for money...  

I had a personal email waiting in my gmail when I woke up this morning (which hardly ever happens).  Subject: Request for Interview....

From someone at NUI Galway (not a school I applied to) who had made a typo in the email address, thus emailing me instead of the rural Irish artist she was looking for, to interview for research purposes.  ARGGGGHHHHHH!

Still getting those NYU online information session emails. I just rage-unsubscribed from them... hopefully that doesn't make the school rage-unsubscribe me from the applicant pool :P

I had a personal email waiting in my gmail when I woke up this morning (which hardly ever happens).  Subject: Request for Interview....

From someone at NUI Galway (not a school I applied to) who had made a typo in the email address, thus emailing me instead of the rural Irish artist she was looking for, to interview for research purposes.  ARGGGGHHHHHH!

OMG that is maybe the worst one that I've heard!

I got a call from a random number in New York today, felt my heart drop, and then...... "Stay on the line for important information on how you can have TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN YOUR POCKET by next Monday!". Why would I want 10k IN MY POCKETS. That just seems unreasonable. This is what bank accounts are for. Unless, of course, it's in the form of a tuition waiver or graduate school funding. Then I would happily put 10k in my pocket. 

It doesn't help that my program says they inform applicants 6-8 weeks after they apply, and I applied precisely 6 weeks ago on Tuesday.......

I've had the same thing happen to me several times, with a Seattle-area number. The calls wer coming from Expedia, not UW. >.<

Oh gosh, I just had my first real fake out moment. 

Email from one of my programs with the subject: "Thank you for applying for admission to Fake Out Department"  :wacko:

Thought it was a generic rejection email, but nope, it was a link to an applicant survey to "improve the admission process." The irony! 

Haha, yeah, I love those. Got two of them already, from the same university. One because I applied, one because I am also a current grad student.

Got one today from "University X Admissions."

It was an excel spreadsheet of outside scholarship opportunities with the note 'we look forward to reading your application!'

I mean, I'm grateful! Cool, thank you! But my heart definitely skipped a beat. Of course I was reading into it every possible nuance. Did EVERY applicant get this email? Have they made any cuts yet? Does this mean I passed some preliminary cut-off? None of my other schools sent me scholarship lists...

I've gotten a package mailed from my dream school after I submitted my app, but it's just a thick viewbook and tell me how to apply....

Will schools mail such package to every international students? They must got lots of fundings....

A bunch of people got acceptance emails to a particular program last night/this morning, and I did not, so I have been trying to accept the fact that I have basically been rejected. Then I get an email from this school with the subject line "Choosing the right graduate program" and for a split second dare to think I've been accepted. Nope, it's just their very poorly timed monthly newsletter.

g1407518925580966116.jpg

A bunch of people got acceptance emails to a particular program last night/this morning, and I did not, so I have been trying to accept the fact that I have basically been rejected. Then I get an email from this school with the subject line "Choosing the right graduate program" and for a split second dare to think I've been accepted. Nope, it's just their very poorly timed monthly newsletter.

I just got that email, and my heart stopped for a few seconds!

Granted, I don't think my department has made any announcements yet, but it was still a disappointment.  Hoping you are just getting a late acceptance!