That fake out moment!

Read_books

A bunch of people got acceptance emails to a particular program last night/this morning, and I did not, so I have been trying to accept the fact that I have basically been rejected. Then I get an email from this school with the subject line "Choosing the right graduate program" and for a split second dare to think I've been accepted. Nope, it's just their very poorly timed monthly newsletter.

Hahaha I am in this exact position! I came on this thread specifically to mention that email.

A couple people got acceptances about a week ago (and that's pretty much all the acceptances my program does), so I'm thinking that is an unofficial reject for me (or I guess it could be a waitlist)... but MAN that is so cruel if we got rejected and they're still sending us these glorious info emails. "Choosing the right graduate program... that isn't ours" -_-

Does anyone know if it is meaningful for my application to go from "under departmental review" to "under graduate school" review? I applied to the speech language pathology program at University of Maryland College Park and checked on-line today and noticed that change. I would like to be excited, but I'm not sure if this is just a formality or not =/

Does anyone know if it is meaningful for my application to go from "under departmental review" to "under graduate school" review? I applied to the speech language pathology program at University of Maryland College Park and checked on-line today and noticed that change. I would like to be excited, but I'm not sure if this is just a formality or not =/

When that happened to me I had an email from the department telling me they reviewed my application and were recommending me to the graduate school for admission.  Typically the graduate school just makes sure you meet the minimum qualifications for the university.  Unless they're different from the places I've applied (Masters and PhD) then I think that's a good sign.    

I got woken up by an email at 6AM and it was one of those moments where I thought that it absolutely HAD to be U of T, because it's the only school I applied to out east and them emailing at 6AM PST (9 for them) made so much sense.

Turns out it was just from Hudson's Bay about a sale. I preceded to fall back asleep and have a grad admissions nightmare. /sigh

Maybe I'll get some good news today.

I would dare to hope that's a good sign, that your program has recommended you for admission to the graduate school, which is more of a formality ... but that's just reading tea leaves and smoke signals...

I got woken up by an email at 6AM and it was one of those moments where I thought that it absolutely HAD to be U of T, because it's the only school I applied to out east and them emailing at 6AM PST (9 for them) made so much sense.

Turns out it was just from Hudson's Bay about a sale. I preceded to fall back asleep and have a grad admissions nightmare. /sigh

Try being in Italy! :D  :D  I do this exact sequence every morning when I find an english titled mail in my inbox!!

And I spend the firs five minutes thinking "Oh, wow, mail during the night! It is definitely some news from the US... usually it's just spam :( (Or that Damn MIT Linguistics newsletter :( ).

Edited by Garyon

I believe this just means that you will receive a decision soon. I have heard from posts on here and from personal experience that it changes to that status whether you are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. My status changed to "under graduate school review" yesterday morning and by that night I heard that I was accepted. Good luck!!

Email entitled are: fall 2015 graduate application

Email was dept secretary informing applicants she was taking a new position and to contact (new person) if we needed to discuss our applications.

It wasn't too big of a fake out since they emailed everyone when apps closed and said the committee wouldn't see the apps til mid-late February but still. Pick a different subject line!

My husband is also waiting anxiousy to hear back about schools (after all, he'd have to move somewhere new, too). Every random e-mail I get from the program I also send to my husband. I call it "fake out squared." If I have to have a freak out moment, I might as well share the wealth with him, as well.

Today I got a Newsletter from SAIC asking for a donation. I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU MONEY I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU WANT ME.

I wanted to cry. They have been the worst- CONGRATULATIONS... your application has been submitted. 

WHYYYYYYYYY. 

I just want to get my rejections over with. 

I had the same experience! I'm also on the west coast (UVic) and applied only to European programs, so I always wake up in the morning hopeful to see something in my inbox (since their 9-5 is our midnight to 8am!). But I actually did have the experience of being buzzed awake by an email at 3am that turned out to be an acceptance letter, which totally made up for it.  :D Fingers crossed for you!

I had the same experience! I'm also on the west coast (UVic) and applied only to European programs, so I always wake up in the morning hopeful to see something in my inbox (since their 9-5 is our midnight to 8am!). But I actually did have the experience of being buzzed awake by an email at 3am that turned out to be an acceptance letter, which totally made up for it.  :D Fingers crossed for you!

I got an acceptance at a totally normal hour (during work), so that was awesome. And congrats to you :)

This waiting around is basically killing me! I think every email/random phone call I get is from a school, but it never is! The next month is going to be the longest of my life. 

I'm waiting to hear from my top choice program in California. They've been releasing offers for weeks, one by one. I got a phone call from California. It was an automated telemarketer. This is especially a fake out because I'm international. I NEVER get phone calls from the US.

Last night I, as usual, had multiple browsers open. Being in China, the few websites that aren't blocked usually take FOREVER to load, so I'll typically have something open to read (news and such) while I'm waiting on the slow-loaders. And, of course, the Grad Cafe results search is almost always open. Well, I was clicking back and forth to see if the university site (one of only two that I keep checking that is not blocked in China -- for the other three, I just have to live in suspense until they either email me or mail my letter to my parents) had loaded, and suddenly I saw that most magic of words, "Accepted." Just as I prepared to shout out in joy, I realized, to my utter chagrin, that I had clicked open the Grad Cafe tab instead of the university tab. Now I've reached the point where I'm faking myself out, apparently!

So I get this email. Sender: name I don't know. Subject: Congratulations! Preview: Dear [Me], Congratulations on your admittance to the PhD program here at..... 

I freak out (audibly gasp) in front of a bunch of my friends, open the email, and then....

Fakeout from a well-meaning UCI student introducing himself and asking if I had any questions. I was accepted to Irvine a few weeks ago, but am anxiously awaiting a number of other decisions that are supposed to come out around now.  

Logged into the website to check an application status. There was an alert on the front page, "If you would like to accept your offer of admission..."

Turns out it was just a message about a third party financial site being down so any admitted students in any department who want to accept their financial support offer need to wait until the site is back up. My application is still under review. Sigh.

Foreword, I currently have two phone number for whatever reason. Also, the one I provided to programs in my applications is the one I use less. Being an international student, I though the probability of receiving an admission call over an email would be close to zero.

So, I came home from work about an hour ago and found 3 (3!!!) phone calls from an US number!

clearly, I freaked out (i'm desperately waiting for some news from MIT)! After few minutes of CRAZY, I realized I could at least check the area code online and...I found out it was a number from arizona...wait, I didn't apply to anything in arizona...wait, one of my collegues just moved to ASU for a one-year RA...f**K

I sent him a furious email that went like "NEVER, EVER, CALL ME AGAIN"

:unsure:

I received an email at 11:36pm four days ago from the University of Ottawa. The subject line only said, "Admission." I could only see the first couple words of the email in the preview on my phone. It said, "Good news! We....." I got very excited. However, once I opened the email, I read, "Good news! We now possess all of the required documents and can proceed with the evaluation of your file."

It was so sad. They received my documents on the 23rd of January, so I thought February 12th was too late for them to be acknowledging they received them. Back to waiting.  :unsure:

CMU just did that

never forgive

Seriously, how does that even happen at one of the top computer science progams in the country? It's so ironic and horrible. I am deeply sorry you (and everyone else that applied) had to go through that.

Email from University Housing:

"Graduate students with completed applications to UGA may immediately register for on-campus housing—no need to wait for that acceptance letter! Choose Family and Graduate Housing now and make your transition to the University of Georgia as easy as 1, 2, 3!"

<_< 

Email from University Housing:

"Graduate students with completed applications to UGA may immediately register for on-campus housing—no need to wait for that acceptance letter! Choose Family and Graduate Housing now and make your transition to the University of Georgia as easy as 1, 2, 3!"

<_< 

As a fellow UGA applicant... I see this post and go... "wait a minute... why didn't I get an inane email too?!"  

:unsure: