Fall 2015 PhD Acceptance/Rejection Thread

has anybody heard from Temple?

Clueless91, on 23 Jan 2015 - 4:53 PM, said:snapback.png

Hey all! Glad to see this thread in action again!

I applied to seven schools: Temple Univ, Rutgers, USF, FSU, Univ of Florida, UMSL, and UC Irvine.

I was accepted to Temple and Rutgers Univ. I was also invited to UC Irvine for an interview. Hopefully it's worth it, I'm coming all the way from New York lol :-(

Sorry to point out that Clueless91 said in January that they were accepted to Temple. :S

Has anyone heard back from Cincinnati or American?  I have yet to hear from either.  It's difficult to be patient these days.   

I have not heard back from Cincinnati yet. I applied for their Master's program, not their Ph.D. program though (deadline for their Masters was the 1st).

Criminology: Simon Fraser University (B.C. Canada)

Criminal Justice: Texas State University, University of Cincinnati

Anyone else applying for Texas State or Simon Fraser?  They sorta look like the best programs for Crime Prevention and Crime Mapping (imo).

Thank God someone told me about this forum!! Here are my results so far:

U of Massachusetts: Accepted

Temple: no word

U of South Carolina: no word

U of Maryland: no word

U of Cincinnati: no word

U of Florida: No word

U of Penn: no word

Penn State: No word

My stats:

GRE V/Q/A 164/152/5.5

Undergrad GPA: 3.77

Grad GPA: 3.75

No research/no publications... 8 years experience as a Massachusetts State Trooper

Thank God someone told me about this forum!! Here are my results so far:

U of Massachusetts: Accepted

Temple: no word

U of South Carolina: no word

U of Maryland: no word

U of Cincinnati: no word

U of Florida: No word

U of Penn: no word

Penn State: No word

My stats:

GRE V/Q/A 164/152/5.5

Undergrad GPA: 3.77

Grad GPA: 3.75

No research/no publications... 8 years experience as a Massachusetts State Trooper

Welcome to GC! I'm waiting to hear back from Maryland as well. Good luck!

If anyone is wondering, I just heard from the Associate Grad Coordinator at University of Florida. They are still reviewing applications. I originally emailed the admin and she replied to me that she was forwarding the email to him... In my head I was saying "NOOOOOOOO!" I really didn't want him to see that I was emailing.

Edited by smcg

For Master's Program- NOT Ph.D. program:

- Texas State University:     Accepted (February 23), waiting to hear about Research Assistant and Merit Scholarship. Admissions folks said I had a competitive application for both and if accepted for them, will receive about 17,500 the first year and only have to pay in-state tuition.

- University of Cincinnati:     Accepted (February 25). Told I would at least receive the "University Graduate Scholarship" which would at least pay for 50% of tuition but may pay for up to 100% depending on how the funding allocations go, which will be done in a week or two.

Still no word from Simon Fraser University.

Undergrad GPA: 3.8, GRE: Math 151/ Verbal 157/ Writing: 4.5. Member of 4 research projects / undergraduate thesis, 1 conference presentation, co-authored 1 paper.

Did anyone hear back from FSU in regards to funding yet?

I wish. I emailed them on March 13 and they said that, "congratulations on getting accepted, and we likely will be making funding decisions in the next 10 days or so. Take care"....Obviously it has been longer than 10 days!!! I can't wait to hear what they say!!! 

Have you been in touch with them at all? 

Ughhhhh they stink! Lol. I was thinking about emailing them today

I wouldn't blame you. I have started that email a few times, but end up deleting the draft cause I have already asked once. If you do email them feel free to share what you hear back in a PM or on this forum, I am VERY interested!!!  :D

No funding from FSU (as expected) Denied!

It's cool, me too! I even went down to the school (currently live in GA) and met the faculty. Seemed to match up perfect with research and scores were right on track with what they said they look for in accepting and funding students. Kinda bumbed, but I will live.

Where else have you been accepted/funded?

Hi all,

I am an international student and found this forum extremely insightful! I have been accepted into three doctoral programs so far (including maryland). I am absolutely exciting and grateful! My decision depends, among other, on financial issues. All acceptances did come with a graduate assistantship (from 16 to 20k) and tuition remission for the cost of graduate study. However, "no fees are covered" is mentioned: how much should I calculate for the fees in total for a year? And although one acceptance explicitly includes coverage by the health insurance plan, maryland mentions that health plan options are available at a nominal fee. is that normal? And how much would it be? What other costs should I bbe aware of? Thank you all in advance!

Hi all,

I am an international student and found this forum extremely insightful! I have been accepted into three doctoral programs so far (including maryland). I am absolutely exciting and grateful! My decision depends, among other, on financial issues. All acceptances did come with a graduate assistantship (from 16 to 20k) and tuition remission for the cost of graduate study. However, "no fees are covered" is mentioned: how much should I calculate for the fees in total for a year? And although one acceptance explicitly includes coverage by the health insurance plan, maryland mentions that health plan options are available at a nominal fee. is that normal? And how much would it be?

I would guess that this varies widely. From my experience, you can expect fees to be anywhere between $200-$500 a semester. If you are worried about finances, I would talk to a Maryland student regarding the cost of insurance. I am currently in a program where the school has reduced health insurance costs, but I still pay about $2k a year. Many students opt to get insurance through the ACA (Obamacare) as it can be cheaper. Best of luck with your decision. I am also weighing financial issues in my decision, so much to consider.

I would guess that this varies widely. From my experience, you can expect fees to be anywhere between $200-$500 a semester. If you are worried about finances, I would talk to a Maryland student regarding the cost of insurance. I am currently in a program where the school has reduced health insurance costs, but I still pay about $2k a year. Many students opt to get insurance through the ACA (Obamacare) as it can be cheaper. Best of luck with your decision. I am also weighing financial issues in my decision, so much to consider.

Thanks! so much to consider indeed!

Hi, I'm a Ph.D. applicant. I heard from UMD (Maryland, College Park, but apparently nobody else knows it as UMD?) a couple days ago. Same as in doubt, I got in with ~$16K. Is that a lot? I want to be able to live by myself and afford a lot of plane tickets to visit my girlfriend. UCI is giving me over $18K plus like ~$3600 or something for the first summer, and it sounds like I can make that kind of money in subsequent summers by being a TA. And UCI is covering fees unlike UMD. But I heard, when I visited UCI, that what you make isn't that much and if you want to live on your own on that budget it will be tough. I was doing the math and I'm thinking where does all the money go? Food? I'm also being considered for a little extra money ($5K, just for the first year, not renewable) at UMD. I'm not yet sure how summer work works or any other details, but do any of you go to UMD or UCI and know about money stuff? I'm coming from undergrad so I've never lived on my own like this before. Of course I'm talking to other people about this stuff, but I would like as many informed opinions as I can get.

Oh and I got into the Master's at ASU, but I applied for the Ph.D. so I'm turning them down. Haven't heard from Penn yet, but I'm guessing I'm either waitlisted or they forgot to notify me about my rejection/acceptance.

I applied to a couple non-criminology programs as well (both Master's programs), but that's outside the scope of this forum I guess haha.

Hi, I'm a Ph.D. applicant. I heard from UMD (Maryland, College Park, but apparently nobody else knows it as UMD?) a couple days ago. Same as in doubt, I got in with ~$16K. Is that a lot? I want to be able to live by myself and afford a lot of plane tickets to visit my girlfriend. UCI is giving me over $18K plus like ~$3600 or something for the first summer, and it sounds like I can make that kind of money in subsequent summers by being a TA. And UCI is covering fees unlike UMD. But I heard, when I visited UCI, that what you make isn't that much and if you want to live on your own on that budget it will be tough. I was doing the math and I'm thinking where does all the money go? Food? I'm also being considered for a little extra money ($5K, just for the first year, not renewable) at UMD. I'm not yet sure how summer work works or any other details, but do any of you go to UMD or UCI and know about money stuff? I'm coming from undergrad so I've never lived on my own like this before. Of course I'm talking to other people about this stuff, but I would like as many informed opinions as I can get.

Oh and I got into the Master's at ASU, but I applied for the Ph.D. so I'm turning them down. Haven't heard from Penn yet, but I'm guessing I'm either waitlisted or they forgot to notify me about my rejection/acceptance.

I applied to a couple non-criminology programs as well (both Master's programs), but that's outside the scope of this forum I guess haha.

I also was accepted to UCI and 18k is a very tight budget for California. Your looking at, at least $1,000 a month for a room (a very small room) this doesn't include utilities, groceries, laundry, pocket money, or if you have any pets etc. I think your best option would be living in grad housing which would be somewhat cheaper. I personally, refuse to live on campus because I'm used to living on my own. Cost of living is something definitely to consider. Where 18k might be pretty tight for UCI, I was also accepted to UMSL where 18k is pretty fair for a decent apartment. Unfortunately for me, funding is very important seeing that I applied to schools all out of state (NY). I don't want to be at the "best" school yet worrying about bills to pay. Feel free to PM me if you like! Edited by Clueless91