Fall 2015 PhD Acceptance/Rejection Thread

out of curiosity, was it the high crime rate there? 

Not at all. It was a couple of other factors. 

1) Not a fan of the east coast in general- didn't want to apply to any schools along that coast. The population density and caricature lifestyle I don't work with well. 

2) Don't have family or friends anywhere within a thousand miles or so. 

3) One of my professors (whose alma mater is Rutgers) who knows me well advised I not apply as the research fit wouldn't be ideal for me compared to the other schools I applied for.

Rutgers work on RTM is pretty cool though in my opinion, and Dr. Groff's work at Temple in Philadelphia I similarly find noteworthy and interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to take the time to thank everyone who has given me advice about the Ph.D. application process. This was my first time going through anything like this. I have a M.S., but I didn't go the traditional route. Without your help, support and advice, I would have been lost (even you, pennywise).

I was finally offered funding at my #1 school and I accepted. Again, thanks to everyone. I'm not sure I belong where I'm going, but I'll be damned if I let them know that and I refuse to fail.

Congrats! I didn't realize I was the harshest person to you, but I guess it might have come off that way lol. Anyhow, SC sounds like a good fit, and I bet you're happy now that you held out for that stipend. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Admitted by Priaire View A&M University. PhD in juvenile justice. Anyone in the same program? 

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I see a lot of people on here discussing programs I am waiting to hear back from, specifically UCin and U Illinois-Chicago. Anyone able to update us on what happened with your applications/when admission was offered/did you visit/was there an interview?

Thanks

Just to piggyback off of @PhDorBUST, was the interview and/or visitations paid for by the schools or was it out of pocket? 

Im also waiting to hear back from UCin, UCI, MSU, NE, and UTD. 

Any info on the admissions processes and funding packages offered from those schools would be GREATLY appreciated!

thank you all! 

Hey @AspiringScholar17 I don't know if you're applying to Sam Houston, but apparently they start reviewing applications in February and decide who to invite for a meet and greet kinda thing, and they pay for EVERYTHING. UCin as of now isn't having anything, and neither is UIC

@PhDorBUST im not applying to Sam but know someone who just finished his phd there! If you want to contact him for info on the program or anything else under the sun related to Sam, let me know! I can most definitely dm you his email :) 

as for cincy: do they normally have interviews? I know from reading these forum pages that uci (cal. Irvine) has interviews and visitations. 

The anxiety struggle is too real haha

@AspiringScholar17 YES PLEASE SEND ME HIS INFO or dm me I'll give you my email and maybe you can introduce us via email?

I asked cincy and they said no, nothing formal, but Dr. Sullivan might invite people they don't know yet. When I said UIC I mean University Illinois-Chicago SORRY no way I can afford to live in Cali

Yeah I met with my supervisor today to go over the schedule for my internship this semester and I totally prefaced like okay I'm not being rude I promise, but if I randomly look at my phone while we are talking its because it vibrated which means I have an email and I HAVE to check it immediately. She wrote an LOR for me so she gets it and she's very cool about it, but yeah idk how people do anything else and I'm supposed to plan all this stuff for our student association and I don't know if it's a good thing cuz it's something to take my mind off or bad cuz it's just more to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...