2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

I'm in! I'm in! Received an offer of admission from Boston College in the mail today. After having resolved to begin planning my apps for next year. I can't believe it!

Not sure about financial aid situation yet, I'll figure it out when I can think straight.

Time for celebratory wine!!!

Congrats! Was that off the wait list? I could have sworn someone said they emailed the DGS and received the response that they had sent out all notifications. Maybe that was BU?

Quick question about Princeton. Does anyone know why there seems to be a huge disparity in number between the number of acceptances from Princeton posted on the result page and comparable schools (say, Harvard and Yale). Is it just Princeton admits more people (and hence relatively easier to get in?) Or do they received more applicants than the other top-ranked programs? Just interested in the number of applicants at Princeton and number of admits. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! Was that off the wait list? I could have sworn someone said they emailed the DGS and received the response that they had sent out all notifications. Maybe that was BU?

No, this is the first I've heard from them. It was via snail mail though, so who knows when they sent it out. 

And thanks everyone!!

Edited by ineedwine

Can anyone claim that U Conn acceptance from a few weeks ago? There is only one and I'm still waiting to hear from them, not sure what to think..

Haven't heard form them, either, nor have any of my friends, so I'd say that that post was a mistake.

Can anyone claim that U Conn acceptance from a few weeks ago? There is only one and I'm still waiting to hear from them, not sure what to think..

Sid Evans claims that the acceptance was legitimate. Though one acceptance still seems weird. It is possible that the acceptance came with a fellowship nomination and the rest of acceptances are yet to come, or that is what I would like to believe.

Interesting...yeah, I guess that one must have been something special. I mean, it's possible that they've already sent them all out, but I don't think it would have been this quiet.

Sid Evans claims that the acceptance was legitimate. Though one acceptance still seems weird. It is possible that the acceptance came with a fellowship nomination and the rest of acceptances are yet to come, or that is what I would like to believe.

Interesting...yeah, I guess that one must have been something special. I mean, it's possible that they've already sent them all out, but I don't think it would have been this quiet.

I agree, it's a bit strange to have only one acceptance. The person I corresponded with made no mention of a fellowship, but it's possible. It's also worth noting, however, that there was only one acceptance to UConn posted to gradcafe last year.

It's hard for me to guess whether there are more offers coming. The fact that there's only been one makes me think there's a decent chance, but the fact that it's been nearly a week seems to make it less likely. Wish I had more info on this, but all we know is that there's been at least one acceptance released at this point.

It's also worth noting, however, that there was only one acceptance to UConn posted to gradcafe last year.

That's not quite true. If you search 'Uconn philosophy' instead of 'Connecticut philosophy', you would find a couple more acceptances from last year.

I agree, it's a bit strange to have only one acceptance. The person I corresponded with made no mention of a fellowship, but it's possible. It's also worth noting, however, that there was only one acceptance to UConn posted to gradcafe last year.

It's hard for me to guess whether there are more offers coming. The fact that there's only been one makes me think there's a decent chance, but the fact that it's been nearly a week seems to make it less likely. Wish I had more info on this, but all we know is that there's been at least one acceptance released at this point.

So what are your prospects, Sid?

Hey everyone I have a question. How does onerespond to acceptance emails at this stage, when one still isn't sure where one wants to go? Reply and thank them? do nothing? It feels weird...

also: congrats to you ineedwine!

Acknowledge that you received the email and (probably) thank them. Let them know that you're interested, but you're not ready to make a decision. 

Anyone else anxiously awaiting word from U of Toronto on MA applications? All is quiet in the admission results. 

I am very anxiously awaiting word. My application is still "under review", but it seems a little late to still be unreviewed? Hopefully we hear back this week...

Edit: I should add that I know a few people that have applied and no one else has heard back. 

Edit: I suspect their strike might play a role in this.

Edited by cryptograms

That's not quite true. If you search 'Uconn philosophy' instead of 'Connecticut philosophy', you would find a couple more acceptances from last year.

Oof, good point. I suppose that only strengthens the possibility that more acceptances are coming.

So what are your prospects, Sid?

Well, I don't want to compromise anonymity too much, but I've been accepted to a few programs throughout the PGR top 50, so I'm pleased with the way it's turned out for me. Nothing decided yet, as I'll be making some visits, but I'm just happy to be able to start a PhD program in the fall.

I am very anxiously awaiting word. My application is still "under review", but it seems a little late to still be unreviewed? Hopefully we hear back this week...

Edit: I should add that I know a few people that have applied and no one else has heard back. 

Edit: I suspect their strike might play a role in this.

Thanks, cryptograms. I was hoping we would hear this week as well. Best of luck to you!

Anyone planning on turning down an offer from WUSTL?

I wouldn't say planning on it. I'm leaning more toward UNC, but will be visiting both WashU and UNC in another week to make my final decision. Probabilistically speaking, I'll be withdrawing from WashU as long as no red flags appear at UNC.

I wouldn't say planning on it. I'm leaning more toward UNC, but will be visiting both WashU and UNC in another week to make my final decision. Probabilistically speaking, I'll be withdrawing from WashU as long as no red flags appear at UNC.

Here's to a lovely visit at UNC then! In all seriousness though, make your decision in your own time and don't let pressure from wait listers like me rush you. And congrats on your acceptances, that's pretty impressive!