2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

I've met a bunch of people who go to Buffalo and love it, and I've been consistently impressed with their people. I think it's an underrated place for sure.

I might have to speak to some grad students there. It does look like a decent place to be, but one of my letter writers got his PhD at Buffalo and he is strongly steering me away from it. Mainly because it's hostile to women, and there are a few people there hostile to non-analytic thought (and are, apparently, assholes). I want to work primarily in non-analytic thought, and I'm a woman...so I'm a little worried about the possible lack of a supportive environment. 

BC, however, seems not to have either of those issues. I've spoken to the female grad students there and they have not had a negative experience, other than being the only female in the room almost always. 

I'll definitely be seriously considering both once I have more information. 

I might have to speak to some grad students there. It does look like a decent place to be, but one of my letter writers got his PhD at Buffalo and he is strongly steering me away from it. Mainly because it's hostile to women, and there are a few people there hostile to non-analytic thought (and are, apparently, assholes). I want to work primarily in non-analytic thought, and I'm a woman...so I'm a little worried about the possible lack of a supportive environment. 

BC, however, seems not to have either of those issues. I've spoken to the female grad students there and they have not had a negative experience, other than being the only female in the room almost always. 

I'll definitely be seriously considering both once I have more information. 

my god that is awful! How are you feeling about BC? I know one of my letter writers always mentioned that he thought BC was an excellent program- I am unsure how deeply familiar he is with it, and I am pretty confident he doesn't know details such as it's attitude or support of women in the program, but what you say about Buffalo is truly disturbing to say the least. 

my god that is awful! How are you feeling about BC? I know one of my letter writers always mentioned that he thought BC was an excellent program- I am unsure how deeply familiar he is with it, and I am pretty confident he doesn't know details such as it's attitude or support of women in the program, but what you say about Buffalo is truly disturbing to say the least. 

I feel pretty good about BC, although I have yet to speak to a professor there. It certainly looks like an excellent program with a lot of opportunities.

It is disturbing about Buffalo. However, it is a large department and it could very well be just his experience there. Still, any sort of indication that women could be treated poorly is a red flag. I want to be clear that I don't wish to discourage anyone from choosing to attend! These are just things that worry me, personally. They may or may not be true. I do not have personal experience there.

Accepted at UConn!!! It feels so good, especially after last year's shut out. I hope to see you overoverover and reixis there!

That's awesome! Congrats!!!!

Is UConn your top pick?

Edited by Turretin

Did you get in off the wait list or was this the first you heard from them?

I emailed them about 10 days ago and was told that they were "still deliberating about many candidates." I was not told that I was waitlisted.

I emailed them about 10 days ago and was told that they were "still deliberating about many candidates." I was not told that I was waitlisted.

I see.. Congratulations! I'm wait listed there and hoping for the best.

Edited by qualiafreak

Can anyone claim the most recent St. Louis Acceptance? Were you notified that you were on the waitlist and then notified again when you were taken off? Or did the caller notify you that you had previously been on a waitlist and that you had now been removed? I ask because I don't see any waitlist results for St. Louis on the results search. 

Edit: i.e. SLU

Edited by Theoldpond0

Anyone knows when visitations will take place at UConn? I know that Penn is holding visitations this weekend, so for those of us who are waitlisted there, some good (or bad) news might be released next week.

Accepted into Tulane, but wait-listed for funding. Any idea on its program? And is there anyone planning to decline a funded offer from there?

Congrats. When did you hear from them?