Quantitative Psychology PhD

TenaciousBushLeaper

So a prospective POI for a quantitative program whom (I think) I have the best research fit with just emailed me saying she'd be happy to either communicate over email or talk over the phone DDDDD: 

YESHHH!!! that sound that you just heard is the door of opportunity cracking open... go run through it! save yourself!

Also if you look at some of the big quant psychs in the field you'd be surprised to find out what some of them have their PhDs in. Todd Little's PhD is in developmental psychology. Patrick J. Curran's PhD is in clinical psychology (he did a postdoc in applied statistics). Kenneth Bollen actually has a PhD in sociology (he minored in math in college). And Andrew Hayes' PhD is in social and personality psychology (from his CV it looks like he started doing quant research towards the end of his PhD or shortly thereafter).

well, the thing is that Quant Psych didn't appear as a separate, independent field until the 90s. like there were not many PhD programs uniquely specialized in Quant Psych so a lot of the early figures had PhDs in something else and then they became Quants. it's because of a report that came out in the 90s from APA or something about how lacking Psych was in its methods and the need to push for more advanced statistical techniques