Denver, CO

Minnesotan

Hi all! I am considering attending the University of Denver this fall and am wondering about good places to live in the city. I know that a lot of people live close to the university but I'm not sure whether or not that is for me. I'd like to be somewhere not too far from school (or close to the light rail) but where I can also walk to dining, shopping, grocery stores, etc. that's also safe and maybe in a neighborhood with mature trees or parks. I'm not really interested in living in a suburb, either. I will probably have a car but do not want to have to rely on driving everywhere. Any suggestions from people have lived there or are going to be moving there?  

On 3/31/2016 at 9:36 AM, coffeeandtravel said:

Hi all! I am considering attending the University of Denver this fall and am wondering about good places to live in the city. I know that a lot of people live close to the university but I'm not sure whether or not that is for me. I'd like to be somewhere not too far from school (or close to the light rail) but where I can also walk to dining, shopping, grocery stores, etc. that's also safe and maybe in a neighborhood with mature trees or parks. I'm not really interested in living in a suburb, either. I will probably have a car but do not want to have to rely on driving everywhere. Any suggestions from people have lived there or are going to be moving there?  

Most housing near DU is suburban, for a long way north and south. Otherwise East and west you get industrial or business parks after the suburbs. There actually is a considerable amount of dining and shopping in that area, however (see Pearl street). You could live in apartments a few miles northeast, off Colorado Blvd, which is near buses+lightrail, and you would definitely get the dining, shopping, and grocery. Though you would also get insane traffic, mostly corporate buildings everywhere, and almost no parks. Further south on that same street, you're right back into the suburbs. Not sure there is a spot that is perfectly what you describe, but many close compromises.

Edited by NeuroMetro

On 3/31/2016 at 9:36 AM, coffeeandtravel said:

I live less than a block from DU. The neighborhood is pretty suburban, although the students there seem to find plenty to do. The light-rail goes right into the heart of downtown Denver and there is a stop on DU's campus. There are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores near DU, but the shopping is a little sparse. There is a medium sized mall about 10 minutes from DU at Cherry Creek, and Colorado Blvd is about a mile away from DU and it has plenty of shopping (it's one long strip mall basically). I would try to avoid living too close to downtown if you want to have a car, because parking there can be very bad, but it is closer to the 'cool' parts of the city. There are a lot of parks on the south side of Denver, and one of the biggest ones is maybe a mile from DU, Washington Park, although there are several smaller parks scattered around closer too. Denver is mostly pretty walk-able, especially around DU, so you shouldn't have trouble walking places. 

• 1 year later...

Hello! Applied here and trying to gather info on living situations if I'm accepted. All I've heard about Denver is that rent is horribly expensive lately. Do any of you think its reasonable to think I could find something suitable for myself, my spouse, my daughter, and our two dogs within driving distance of campus around or under $1000 a month? Am I way off? Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, GCBrittany said:

Hello! Applied here and trying to gather info on living situations if I'm accepted. All I've heard about Denver is that rent is horribly expensive lately. Do any of you think its reasonable to think I could find something suitable for myself, my spouse, my daughter, and our two dogs within driving distance of campus around or under $1000 a month? Am I way off? Thanks for the help!

Hi @GCBrittany . $1000 is going to be really tough in Denver--probably impossible if you're looking for a two-bedroom--but if you go to the suburbs that is doable. There's a Facebook group worth searching through called Denver Creative Housing. There's always people looking for roommates or switching housing and is a good place to start to figure out cost/location. The DU area is one of the cheaper areas in actual city limits, since it's south of downtown. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have applied to the University of Denver for my master's degree and would love any information on housing availability, either renting or buying. I've read that the housing market is insane right now and I have never visited so I don't know which neighborhoods to look at. 

I would prefer a house with a yard, as I have pets, and would need at least two bedrooms. My boyfriend and I are both 30 and love to be close enough to walk/bike to bars and restaurants. Is this possible for less than 2k a month or a home for less than 300k? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, if anyone has attended the Josef Korbel school. I would love to hear about your experience, particularly in finding relevant internships/jobs. 

Thanks so much. 

On 1/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, brittd said:

Hello everyone. I have applied to the University of Denver for my master's degree and would love any information on housing availability, either renting or buying. I've read that the housing market is insane right now and I have never visited so I don't know which neighborhoods to look at. 

I would prefer a house with a yard, as I have pets, and would need at least two bedrooms. My boyfriend and I are both 30 and love to be close enough to walk/bike to bars and restaurants. Is this possible for less than 2k a month or a home for less than 300k? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, if anyone has attended the Josef Korbel school. I would love to hear about your experience, particularly in finding relevant internships/jobs. 

Thanks so much. 

Currently living in Denver and will be starting a PhD at DU in the fall. Unfortunately the market is insane right now, and DU is surrounded by very expensive neighborhoods (Wash Park, Platt Park, University and Wellshire). You may be able to find a condo with a small yard in Glendale, otherwise I'd look east near Aurora if your budget is capped at <300k.

For renting, it's definitely possible to find a 2 bed apartment ~2k, but it likely will not have a yard. The renting market is very competitive here as well, there is just not enough supply for everyone moving here. One thing to think about is if you end up living far enough away from DU and need to take I-25 to campus, the traffic is horrendous during rush hour(s). I'd suggest living as close to a light rail as possible (DU has it's own stop). 

For jobs, Denver has very low unemployment and there are a lot of opportunities out here, but it's hard to land a job from out of state. Most of my friends needed to live here for a few months and establish an address before companies would reach out for interviews.  

I may be going to DU in the fall for my PhD and just thought I would pose a few of my questions on this thread in hopes that some people have some possible answers. I want to have some better ideas about housing in the area as I weigh my decisions on where to attend this fall.

I've seen that the light rail connects quite a few areas of the city (different suburbs/neighborhoods?) and that it extends for some way to further areas. Does anyone have approximate times on travel from the different suburbs/neighborhoods to DU via light rail or car as well (since I will have a car)? I guess I'm mainly asking if commuting is still very traffic heavy if you don't have to take I-25? Are there any areas you all would suggest or avoid when looking for rentals? Lastly, does anyone have any tips for looking/applying for rentals in Denver since the renting market is super competitive?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

I am considering finishing my PhD training in epidemiology at CU's School of Public Health this fall 2018, and have a few questions to ask those either living in Denver on a grad student budget, or have previously. 

1) Generally speaking, have you had financial difficulties even with a stipend and tuition remission etc? No need to get too personal if you feel otherwise, but I just worry about that in places like Denver it'd be more difficult than some of the other cities I am considering. 

2) In a quick glance, it seems like renting an apartment in downtown or in reach will be costly and difficult to secure. Is that completely true? Again, I haven't looked on zillow etc., but I also don't know the desirable areas for my kind of grad student budget (1BR ~ $1,200 /mo give or take some) and someone without a car (coming from far away so I am leaving it behind). I'll have a bike and perfectly capable legs and am willing to spend more on a housing budget to not live in suburbia :) 

3)I know it sounds silly, but what do you guys do? While it is far more intriguing than anywhere I've lived or currently live, I am always curious to hear the answer from grad students with similar workloads about how they spend their free time. 

Thanks!

On 2/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, ceterisparibus9 said:

Hello all!

I am considering finishing my PhD training in epidemiology at CU's School of Public Health this fall 2018, and have a few questions to ask those either living in Denver on a grad student budget, or have previously. 

1) Generally speaking, have you had financial difficulties even with a stipend and tuition remission etc? No need to get too personal if you feel otherwise, but I just worry about that in places like Denver it'd be more difficult than some of the other cities I am considering. 

2) In a quick glance, it seems like renting an apartment in downtown or in reach will be costly and difficult to secure. Is that completely true? Again, I haven't looked on zillow etc., but I also don't know the desirable areas for my kind of grad student budget (1BR ~ $1,200 /mo give or take some) and someone without a car (coming from far away so I am leaving it behind). I'll have a bike and perfectly capable legs and am willing to spend more on a housing budget to not live in suburbia :) 

3)I know it sounds silly, but what do you guys do? While it is far more intriguing than anywhere I've lived or currently live, I am always curious to hear the answer from grad students with similar workloads about how they spend their free time. 

Thanks!

Ceteri - 

I've lived in the Denver suburbs for the past 4 years or so and am also looking at relocating to the city to be closer to school and have a better quality of life. 

One of the common topics of conversation is how expensive it is to live here. I thought your budget for a place in a decent neighborhood sounded low so I did some poking around. Median 1-br apartments are $1362 according to rentcafe.com: https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/co/denver/

I am a married working professional with no kids and have some side-hustles with a total family income of about 90k a year total and find money tight. We don't go on vacations, have a fancy life, or have much in student loan debt. I moved here for work (at a community nonprofit so not rich here), and understand why people pay a premium to live here.

Lots to do, though less so if you are on a tight budget and/or don't have a car. The fabled outdoors needs a car to be accessed. There are a decent music and culture scenes, after all, it is the biggest city within 600+ miles. Highly-educated people, generally liberal. 

Of note, the weather is fabulous. Sunny nearly every day which make the winter days not feel too bad.

Glad to answer any questions if you have them or point you in the right direction as far as neighborhoods to look at.

Best of luck

Hi BrittD, 

Congrats on your acceptance and welcome to Denver. Finding anything with a yard that isn't in Aurora (you don't want to live there) under 300k will be hard or impossible. If you come out here to house-hunt, come pre-approved and be ready to write and offer the same day. Most of the 'walkable' neighborhoods and suburbs are going to have entry points at $350k + for anything that is not a condo. I suspect you guys don't want to live in a terrible neighborhood. If that's the case, consider renting. You can probably find a 2br/1ba in a decent neighborhood for less than 2k, Washington Park might be one neighborhood to check out or Edgewater, a city on the western edge of Denver. 

This is an expensive city.

best of luck. 

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, brittd said:

Thanks so much. 

On 1/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, GCBrittany said:

It will be impossible to find a 2 bedroom for that price in a decent neighborhood for that price. $1800+ is probably more realistic.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:26 PM, FishNerd said:

@lincoln.hawks so I saw that you mentioned terrible neighborhoods - are there some that you can think of off the top of your head to avoid renting in?

So here is an article I found that may be of some use: https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-neighborhoods-in-denver-co/

another: https://www.urbanistinsider.com/articles/the-10-most-dangerous-denver-neighborhoods/1153

and another: https://www.du.edu/housing/resources/neighborhoodguide.html

Not sure of what your situation is, but close to the University of Denver is good. Avoid living close to Sheridan st. and Avoid city of Englewood. I also recommend avoiding anything close to I-70 in Denver and east. Tried to share a map, but it didn't work.

I recommend googling "Judgmental Maps Denver" and checking out what comes up. It's pretty mean-spirited and offensive, yet provides some information.

@lincoln.hawks Thanks for the info. I just wanted to have some sort of idea of whether or not lower rent was actually because of an actual good deal or because it is in a more problematic neighborhood.

I had heard that near DU was a good area but I have seen it can be quite pricey, so I did want to maybe know of areas to avoid if I look outside of that surrounding area.

@lincoln.hawks Thanks for the info. If we do end up in Denver, I think we will rent first. Can I ask why I wouldn't want to live in Aurora? I saw a few houses for rent there, that looked promising. 
The Denver housing market is indeed expensive, but I currently live in DC, so I'm hoping the cost of living overall will be less. 

@LuiB, parts of Aurora are actually really nice. The downtown is walkable and has some cute shops. The area near Park Hill lets you have easy access to Denver amenities without paying the high(er) price associated with them. Which is to say, single family homes in west Aurora that are near Park Hill are $50-75K less than what you'd pay to actually be in Park Hill. 

I'm not at all sure why anyone would say that you can't live near I-70 in Denver... Along I-70 are some of the nicer neighborhoods like the Highlands and Stapleton. If you doubt this, look at the price of real estate in Stapleton! If you can income qualify for a condo in Stapleton, that's a great deal. If you can't though, affording Stapleton would be difficult on a grad student stipend.

If you have questions, feel free to ask me. I'm new to the city (lived here under a year) but possibly less scared of neighborhoods than some other posters who are reposting information found online.

• 2 weeks later...

@LuiB I've lived near Denver for practically my whole life, so I can provide some insight.

I can't imagine finding anything near the campus that is under $1000. As for Aurora, my friends and I have joked that Aurora is sort of a cultural desert--it's the very definition of urban sprawl. And it just feels so far away from everything. I've never understood its appeal, aside from potentially lower cost of living...which you'll spend on your car because you have to drive so often.

Try looking around Lakewood and Edgewater, closer to 6th Avenue if possible. Both of those cities are really nice suburban neighborhoods that could be great for your family. As for transit from those cities, you can take 6th Avenue to 1-25 for decent transportation to DU. Alternatively, you can use RTD's rail line to get to the campus with one transfer (W Line -> E-Line). I prefer the rail line when going to Denver because of how atrocious traffic can be. DU may even give you an RTD pass.

Good luck! I hope you can find somewhere that fits your needs!

• 1 month later...

So for those of you on this thread that have found apartments in Denver, how far ahead did you start looking for one before your desired move in time? I'm planning to move in August, but am willing to pay for part or all of July if I can secure something I really like. I don't currently live anywhere near close to Denver and I'm trying to figure out when I should plan my trip to come look at apartments since I don't want to sign a lease without seeing the place in person. When I've looked on websites like craigslist, zillow and trulia a lot of the postings are for places that are opening up very soon (though some say they are available later in the summer), so I'm having a hard time figuring out the best time to try to plan a trip out to Denver to apartment hunt.