Oxford applicants

Kleene

As far as the dissertation goes, you have about a year to get your butt in gear and submit a REAL proposal that a committee thinks is worthwhile and that you can manage.  Much of the first three terms is supposed to be spent making this possible.  Until then, you aren't a real candidate-- Cambridge calls that first year Probation and there's doubtless a similar term at Oxford.

Also, be careful about the term "Scholars."  That generally means quite literally someone who's won a merit scholarship.

Edited by Concordia

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 2:46 PM, Captain Cabinets said:

Thanks, and fingers crossed that you get funding! I think mine is specifically a college scholarship, and my supervisor mentioned that funding offers for overseas students (like myself) are sent out a bit sooner than the others. I do feel like I'd like fit well at Oxford, I just have some dissertation insecurities at the moment (sort of in the wake of unexpected success). Re the UK-US divide, an acquaintance of mine at Cambridge phrased the 'who-works-for-who' bit more along the lines of saying that in the UK, PhD scholars are the most senior students, while in the US, they're considered the most junior academics (but I suppose that comes down to the same thing).

Dinged at Merton a few days ago, probably because I am not in line for any prestigious funding, but my supervisor offered to have me pulled into his own (lovely and convenient, if dirt poor) college.

He still hasn't sent my recs to Cambridge and London, so I'm a little perplexed even though it might just be further evidence that he wants me at Oxford.  Anyway, the London offer came today, conditional on getting another rec (which I can get from another source).

22 hours ago, Concordia said:

Dinged at Merton a few days ago, probably because I am not in line for any prestigious funding, but my supervisor offered to have me pulled into his own (lovely and convenient, if dirt poor) college.

He still hasn't sent my recs to Cambridge and London, so I'm a little perplexed even though it might just be further evidence that he wants me at Oxford.  Anyway, the London offer came today, conditional on getting another rec (which I can get from another source).

That's a shame about the funding, but a friend of mine was at Merton and absolutely adored it, and I'd listed it as my first-choice college before being assigned to Somerville. The non-provision of recs is a bit strange, though, and a bit rude? Perhaps you could subtly remind him? If the cause is that he feels you wholly belong at Oxford he should at least discuss or clarify that with you, I feel...

Another possibility-- he or his secretary might not have uploaded to non-Oxonian platforms properly.  When I looked at the Cam reference tab immediately after putting on someone else, I could have sworn it said "not accessed" instead of something like "not submitted," which it had said for the first person's rec.  So maybe my original choice logged in correctly but screwed up before finishing the job,

Anyway, that space got accessed and the second/third referee's file submitted today so I'll not be able to look at either person's data now.  But you are right.  Either way, a conversation might be helpful.  I've always liked this guy and he was the most encouraging of all my faculty, but if he is a raging, manipulative, psycho under stress I suppose I should know that in advance of making any big decisions. :) 

The real dilemma at the moment is Oxford, with its institutional might and potentially congenial college life--- assuming I am not slam-dunked into a hell-hole of a college-- vs a school in London that has a fantastic young supervisor lined up, and another good Americanist on the faculty whose new book I am enjoying tremendously.  That combination could be most stimulating.  Against the latter, as much as the US programs in London have their extended community, is the fact is that there is virtually no social life to count on at this particular establishment.  Peers will effectively be scattered everywhere over town, especially after dark.  No harm if I were planning to do this all by Skype, or already based in London, or neck-deep in the Academy, or a well-organized extrovert, but I am currently none of those things.  

Cambridge adds another complication, as my candidate for supervisor is a bit of a rock star and apparently a brilliant teacher, but may be too overworked or distracted to take me on.  If not, I have to figure out where that whole thing stands.  Apparently about 70-80% of master's students who try to continue on get accepted.  I do love Cambridge more than Oxford as a place to visit, but 3 years of coming in and out from the States may dilute that advantage.  And there is a pleasant, cheap bus between the two cities.

Edited by Concordia

Hi everyone! This is not a strictly Oxford-related query but I hope you can help! I have received a scholarship in Edinburgh for a PhD Education. Does anyone know/have an idea of the residency requirements there? My partner works in London, so I'd ideally like to move in with him after my fieldwork is completed in my second year of the PhD, and then write up my PhD from there. Does anyone know if this is possible and whether there are any procedures to make this happen? I know Oxford has a residence requirement too, that you should be in Oxford for six terms (or something), do you feel other universities in the UK will be fine with someone moving away for the final 1 - 1.5 years of their PhD?

Doesn't their website direct you to any of those regulations?

In general, writing and (to an extent) researching a dissertation doesn't have to be done in their classrooms.  But I would guess that every one of the UK universities slices that problem a little differently.

Edited by Concordia

13 minutes ago, Concordia said:

Doesn't their website direct you to any of those regulations?

In general, writing and (to an extent) researching a dissertation doesn't have to be done in their classrooms.  But I would guess that every one of the UK universities slices that problem a little differently.

Found an old regulation of theirs that mentions residence requirements to be: student must be in Edinburgh, and can be away for 15 months in total including field work/academic research. I am not sure how it works in practice, and if permissions for longer than 15 months can be granted in case of long term partnerships/family situations.

There may be some flexibility built in.  

Oxbridge require 6 terms (out of 9), but can waive up to 3 of those 6 for worthwhile off-campus work.  That could be field work (e.g., geology, anthropology, astronomy), archival visits, or maybe just lurking around another university nearer to your home.

Does Edinburgh have specific things you need to do locally, like teach undergrads or attend seminars?

Edited by Concordia

10 minutes ago, Concordia said:

There may be some flexibility built in.  

Oxbridge require 6 terms (out of 9), but can waive up to 3 of those 6 for worthwhile off-campus work.  That could be field work (e.g., geology, anthropology, astronomy), archival visits, or maybe just lurking around another university nearer to your home.

Does Edinburgh have specific things you need to do locally, like teach undergrads or attend seminars?

True, Oxford does have that. There is no requirement to teach/attend seminars at Edinburgh but of course, I am "encouraged" to do so. Regardless, this would still be in my first two years, while I prep for/begin field work. My third year should really just be analysing the data and writing it up, so I am thinking they might be okay with my not being in Edinburgh for that (although I'd get have to get my supervisor on board with this..).

I was accepted to the MPhil program in Visual, Material, and Museum Anthropology in late Feburary. This was followed by a college offer from Keble. I was told by my potential supervisor that my application has been supported by the department for scholarship program to be considered by the committee. I have met the supervisor in person, and the supervisor believes that there is great potential in my project. Since then I haven't heard back on any scholarships. I hold a bachelors degree in anthropology from a Canadian university. But I am an international student from India. How long should I wait to consider Oxford's scholarship offer? Any international students at Oxford with previous experience of dealing with scholarships? This is getting damn crazy! 

This is my only option for now. Thanks for all your kind help!

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed with St Antony's (14 days to pull back if I freak out).  I'm still not sure what to make of the St Antony's placement-- I've never been an exotic foreigner before, and it will be potentially interesting to have so many classmates looking at the social sciences.  I have a bunch of other interests that are not offered there, as well, so I will have to look into the university societies and try not to be such an introvert.  The fallout will be unpredictable, but potentially fantastic.

As soon as I got the receipt from Oxford, I sent a note to my contact in London who'd been recommended so often, and who wanted me there.  A gracious reply-- there aren't a ton of people looking at his area, so we have to be nice to each other, I think.  :)   

Cambridge is still pending-- I think that while the most logical supervisor there is fantastic, he's been pretty non-committal about signing on to my project.  I will likely withdraw there after the requisite night's sleep.  If the timing on that works, I'll be able to say I went to Oxford because I was accepted nowhere else!

On 4/13/2017 at 0:40 PM, Concordia said:

After being dinged by Merton, I got an acceptance from St Antony's.

As Igor said "Could be worse-- could be raining!"

Hey! Would you be able to tell me when did you submit your application? I received my offer late March but still haven't heard back anything about college placement yet :/

On 5/1/2017 at 6:45 PM, Concordia said:

Confirmed with St Antony's (14 days to pull back if I freak out).  I'm still not sure what to make of the St Antony's placement-- I've never been an exotic foreigner before, and it will be potentially interesting to have so many classmates looking at the social sciences.  I have a bunch of other interests that are not offered there, as well, so I will have to look into the university societies and try not to be such an introvert.  The fallout will be unpredictable, but potentially fantastic.

As soon as I got the receipt from Oxford, I sent a note to my contact in London who'd been recommended so often, and who wanted me there.  A gracious reply-- there aren't a ton of people looking at his area, so we have to be nice to each other, I think.  :)   

Cambridge is still pending-- I think that while the most logical supervisor there is fantastic, he's been pretty non-committal about signing on to my project.  I will likely withdraw there after the requisite night's sleep.  If the timing on that works, I'll be able to say I went to Oxford because I was accepted nowhere else!

Hey Concordia! Congrats to your college offer! Would you be able to tell me when did you submit your application? I received my offer in late March but still haven't heard anything about college placement yet :/

I applied at the January deadline and heard from the department toward the end of March. The college rejection was maybe 3 weeks after that, with a shorter wait for my invitation.

Edited by Concordia