Oxford applicants

Kleene

I take it you two are PhD applicants? My understanding is MSt applicants should expect to hear in late March, at least for the humanities.

Yeah, DPhil. "Officially" it is late March onwards for all January applicants. Reality is different, though, and varies per program. I know that for my program decisions and the first round of funding are finalized this week, so I should hear this week or next. No one on the results search has ever been notified after February 26 for my program.

For my MSc last year, I got notified mid March.

Hi Guys!

I applied to the Masters in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics at Oxford. No college preference. 

I asked the grad director and she said to expect a decision by late March.

Good luck to you all! :P

I take it you two are PhD applicants? My understanding is MSt applicants should expect to hear in late March, at least for the humanities.

Dittos. My program admin specifically told me mid- to late-March.

Question, ya'll: what's up with colleges and funding? I applied to a scholarship outside of any college (Ertegun), so I kind of know when to hear back about that. However, from what I've heard and read up on, college funding notifications can take quite a while (late May?!). How are we as students suppose to make a financially smart decision about schools without knowing all of our options (funding-wise)? Most, if not all, US institutions want a decision by April 15th.

This all assumes that I'll be accepted and NOT rejected. Which I'm trying not to think about...

Edited by Shiji E. Moji

How are we as students suppose to make a financially smart decision about schools without knowing all of our options (funding-wise)? Most, if not all, US institutions want a decision by April 15th.

This all assumes that I'll be accepted and NOT rejected. Which I'm trying not to think about...

I am deeply concerned about this as well. I have no answers. This is my first time applying to a grad program outside the US so I'm whistling in the dark, as it were. 

Dittos. My program admin specifically told me mid- to late-March.

Question, ya'll: what's up with colleges and funding? I applied to a scholarship outside of any college (Ertegun), so I kind of know when to hear back about that. However, from what I've heard and read up on, college funding notifications can take quite a while (late May?!). How are we as students suppose to make a financially smart decision about schools without knowing all of our options (funding-wise)? Most, if not all, US institutions want a decision by April 15th.

I applied to the Ertegun as well (pretty last minute, unfortunately). That's a humanities scholarship - what program are you applying for? Also, you have me a little worried with this talk of emailing admins and whatnot. I took the website for what it said and had zero contact with anyone...hope that didn't hurt me at all!

What a great topic! Like most people on this site these days I am (impatiently) waiting to hear back from the schools I applied to, Oxford included. I applied for the MPhil in Internstional relations and the waiting it just killing me! I know my chances for getting in are slim (undergrad GPA 3.9, majors Politics, History minor communication studies, 2 years work experience) but i still just want to know lol.

I am a U.S. student and curious to know if anyone else from here has been accepted/already attended school abroad and how the moving process was.

Congrats to those of you pursuing your DPhil! :)

I have no idea how to make a financially responsible decision. That's not even the only catch with accepting an Oxford offer. There is also the conditions of your offer. Although people who get admitted usually score significantly above the requirements, it may be that you are not sure whether you will make the conditions of your offer. That makes accepting Oxford and rejecting your US ones a risky business!

I think that much departmental funding is given out before April 15. Also, some scholarship require interviews, so you mean at least know before April 15 whether you are shortlisted or not.

I applied to the Ertegun as well (pretty last minute, unfortunately). That's a humanities scholarship - what program are you applying for? Also, you have me a little worried with this talk of emailing admins and whatnot. I took the website for what it said and had zero contact with anyone...hope that didn't hurt me at all!

Anyone else who applied to the MSc in Computer Science? Is the Mathematics & Foundations of Computer Science a better MSc? I just didn't want to be there for two years and so I applied to the MSc in Computer Science...

Thanks all. :)

Anyone else who applied to the MSc in Computer Science? Is the Mathematics & Foundations of Computer Science a better MSc? I just didn't want to be there for two years and so I applied to the MSc in Computer Science...

Both courses are 12 months long. The MFoCS is valued highly and seen as more rigorous than the straight CS course. Taking mostly CS courses in MFoCS will be comparable to taking some of the most advanced CS courses in the straight CS MSc. Most CS classes are taught to both MFoCS and CS, anyway, though MFoCS have only three weeks to finish the exams/projects while MScs have five weeks. Also, the requirement for a distinction in MFoCS is at least 70 in all modules, while in MSc it is just an average of at least 70.

Edited by Kleene

Both courses are 12 months long. The MFoCS is valued highly and seen as more rigorous than the straight CS course. Taking mostly CS courses in MFoCS will be comparable to taking some of the most advanced CS courses in the straight CS MSc. Most CS classes are taught to both MFoCS and CS, anyway, though MFoCS have only three weeks to finish the exams/projects while MScs have five weeks. Also, the requirement for a distinction in MFoCS is at least 70 in all modules, while in MSc it is just an average of at least 70.

Well, that means that I made a big mistake. I think I got confused by the 1 + 1 program that the CS department offers. :(

I want to go to the best possible program and I thought that MFoCS was mostly for students in maths. I saw that the last application deadline for the MFoCS is 13 March. Do I have a chance if I apply now? I saw some admissions for the MFoCS already and I also saw that this program does not accept too many students. :(

Well, that means that I made a big mistake. I think I got confused by the 1 + 1 program that the CS department offers. :(

I want to go to the best possible program and I thought that MFoCS was mostly for students in maths. I saw that the last application deadline for the MFoCS is 13 March. Do I have a chance if I apply now? I saw some admissions for the MFoCS already and I also saw that this program does not accept too many students. :(

You may have a shot, but why would you want to switch? Most MFoCS students have done their undergrads in maths, though there are some computer scientists like myself. You need a solid maths background (mostly algebra). If you want to take courses taught by the maths department, it makes sense to switch because that's only possible in MFoCS. If you want to take only computer science courses, the MSc will give you more options.

Just have a look at both of the course handbooks and see for yourself the differences in courses, examinations, degree classification, etc.

By the way, I don't know what meaning you assign to 'prestigious' (TSR), but I was talking about the rigor of the program that is well-recognised by the faculty and external examiners.

Yeah, it feels bad to complain about it, Kleene xD. By the way, until when can one withdraw an acceptance without repercussions?  As I understood it, my acceptance would only be final after accepting the college offer and signing the student contract, is that correct?

Hi all, I've applied to the MSt in Global and Imperial History. It seems like a pretty competitive course - has anyone heard anything from the History Faculty? I am aware that they release the results in late March, but do they ever release them earlier? I've been plagued by admissions anxiety recently, and it doesn't help that I am not sure of my chances. My home institution (in Hong Kong) uses BOTH GPA and Honours Classification, which is quite weird I know. I am on a First Class Honours but the GPA for that is lower than the requirement that the Oxford website states (3.7) - so I have no idea. 

Also, does anyone know whether it is possible to send in updated transcripts? My grades for the most recent semester at the time of the application was not released, and when they were released the January deadline had already passed. I emailed the graduate admissions but no reply. Anyone know anything about that?

Edited by matthewf123

I emailed the graduate admissions but no reply. Anyone know anything about that?

Didn't apply to the History Department and by no means an expert, but from what I observe with the admissions process, you won't get anywhere emailing them during this extremely busy time of year. My understanding from all I have read throughout this process is that your best bet is to email the department, not the Graduate Admissions Office. Perhaps you could also try calling (either) office as people are more likely to pick up a phone than sort through hundreds of emails.