Oxford applicants

Kleene

Oh sorry about that Parker, haha

Not a problem.  :D Thanks for the congratulations. I guess this one toss of the dice wasn't quite as mediocre as the rest of them. 

Wow, it's great to have such a specific scholarship available. They don't happen to have those for every state, do they? :P

Many congrats on your scholarship!

Edited by Marst

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, I'm being placed at Wolfson (although haven't heard anything official from them yet). Anyone know anything about Wolfson - good, bad, or otherwise?

Edited by Thistle399

Apparently, I'm being placed at Wolfson (although haven't heard anything official from them yet). Anyone know anything about Wolfson - good, bad, or otherwise?

Isolated. Brutalist. Friendly.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else really hate all this waiting?? 

I submitted my application back in September for the November deadline for the MSc in Conservation, Biodiversity and Management with OUCE. The website says I shouldn't hear back until mid January but man, I wish I could just know now! 

I also applied to Imperial (still waiting...) and Exeter (received an offer), but would love to attend Oxford more than anything.

How are you guys dealing with uncertainty? 

I'm applying for PhD at the school of Geography and Environment, particularly TSU, but apparently there's not much point in applying particularly early (deadline is Jan 20th) so I'm going to give the research proposal another few weeks to brew before submitting.

On 12/18/2016 at 0:48 AM, PermanentStudent said:

Anyone else really hate all this waiting?? 

I submitted my application back in September for the November deadline for the MSc in Conservation, Biodiversity and Management with OUCE. The website says I shouldn't hear back until mid January but man, I wish I could just know now! 

I also applied to Imperial (still waiting...) and Exeter (received an offer), but would love to attend Oxford more than anything.

How are you guys dealing with uncertainty? 

Hey PermanentStudent!

I also applied for the November deadline for MSc in Conservation, Biodiversity and Management. The uncertainty is killing me. I know it says 8-10 weeks from the November deadline, but I keep having hope that we will find out early and checking my email all the time. I see a lot of people online saying that in past years they were told that they would be re-evaluated in the January cycle so they wouldn't even find out until March or April. I really don't want that to happen. I'd rather just know if I'm in or out now! I keep trying to just live in the moment for the holidays and not think about it. It's not really working haha!

The program looks so amazing though! If I don't get in this year, I might just apply again because I thinks it's a really innovative and cool program for biodiversity. The faculty seem so passionate and I see that a lot of alumni end up going into the PhD right after. 

How are you dealing with the uncertainty yourself?

1 minute ago, Neville said:

Hey PermanentStudent!

I also applied for the November deadline for MSc in Conservation, Biodiversity and Management. The uncertainty is killing me. I know it says 8-10 weeks from the November deadline, but I keep having hope that we will find out early and checking my email all the time. I see a lot of people online saying that in past years they were told that they would be re-evaluated in the January cycle so they wouldn't even find out until March or April. I really don't want that to happen. I'd rather just know if I'm in or out now! I keep trying to just live in the moment for the holidays and not think about it. It's not really working haha!

The program looks so amazing though! If I don't get in this year, I might just apply again because I thinks it's a really innovative and cool program for biodiversity. The faculty seem so passionate and I see that a lot of alumni end up going into the PhD right after. 

How are you dealing with the uncertainty yourself?

Hi!! That's so cool that you're applying to the same program! I think it is such a great course, and I love how easy it is to move into the DPhil right after. I submitted my application right after it opened in September and I've just been so nervous since then!

I've also been checking my email about fifty times a day haha. I check it as soon as I wake up. I'm in California and eight hours behind, so every morning I hope that I'll have an answer waiting for me. I'm also trying to enjoy the holidays, but every time anyone asks me what I would like as a gift, I can't think of anything besides a place at Oxford...or funding haha.

I really hope I hear as soon as possible. I have to give my decision to Exeter by February 15th, so this uncertainty is also really stressful. If I don't get in, I'll do my MSc at  Exeter or Imperial (if I get in there) and try for a DPhil at Oxford later. I miss being in university and don't want to take any more time away. Man, I really hope I don't have to wait until March or April to find out if I'm accepted!! That would just be torture...

I've been trying to keep myself as busy as possible to deal with the uncertainty and to take my mind off of everything. It isn't really working, but at least I'm getting a lot of other things done! :lol:

23 minutes ago, PermanentStudent said:

Hi!! That's so cool that you're applying to the same program! I think it is such a great course, and I love how easy it is to move into the DPhil right after. I submitted my application right after it opened in September and I've just been so nervous since then!

I've also been checking my email about fifty times a day haha. I check it as soon as I wake up. I'm in California and eight hours behind, so every morning I hope that I'll have an answer waiting for me. I'm also trying to enjoy the holidays, but every time anyone asks me what I would like as a gift, I can't think of anything besides a place at Oxford...or funding haha.

I really hope I hear as soon as possible. I have to give my decision to Exeter by February 15th, so this uncertainty is also really stressful. If I don't get in, I'll do my MSc at  Exeter or Imperial (if I get in there) and try for a DPhil at Oxford later. I miss being in university and don't want to take any more time away. Man, I really hope I don't have to wait until March or April to find out if I'm accepted!! That would just be torture...

I've been trying to keep myself as busy as possible to deal with the uncertainty and to take my mind off of everything. It isn't really working, but at least I'm getting a lot of other things done! :lol:

I think we will find out soon! At least in January that is. I am actually just graduating from a Master's program at Georgetown in D.C. in May and I only applied to the Oxford program. I was looking for a biodiversity program that I could enter to continue the thesis research I have been doing at Georgetown and the Oxford program was the perfect fit. I was absolutely thinking about using it to expand to PhD if possible. Because of this, I'm a little less anxious about timing and whether this is the year for me or not. It's super exciting that you have already been accepted into other programs though! Congrats! Either way, you are on a great track! Also, just conservation and biodiversity love <3 <3 <3 No matter what, you are doing awesome and rewarding research and work!

Also, I have the same feeling living in D.C. that when I wake up I could be seeing that email. And the Christmas gift of Oxford is so perfect. I have been all secretive about it to my family and haven't told anyone I applied, but if the notifications came out this week, I would be SO SO SO happy to tell everyone.

Edited by Neville

3 minutes ago, Neville said:

I think we will find out soon! At least in January that is. I am actually just graduating from a Master's program at Georgetown in D.C. in May and I only applied to the Oxford program. I was looking for a biodiversity program that I could enter to continue the thesis research I have been doing at Georgetown and the Oxford program was the perfect fit. I was absolutely thinking about using it to expand to PhD if possible. Because of this, I'm a little less anxious about timing and whether this is the year for me or not. It's super exciting that you have already been accepted into other programs though! Congrats! Either way, you are on a great track! Also, just conservation and biodiversity love <3 <3 <3 No matter what, you are doing awesome and rewarding research and work!

Also, I have the same feeling living in D.C. that when I wake up I could be seeing that email. And the Christmas gift of Oxford is so perfect. I have being all secretive about it to my family and haven't told anyone I applied, but if the notifications came out this week, I would be SO SO SO happy to tell everyone.

Congrats on graduating!! And thank you, hopefully we'll both get into Oxford! <3

I'm so the opposite! I haven't been secretive at all. My family has known that I've wanted to go to Oxford since I was young, so it was only a matter of time before the conversations changed from "when I apply..." to "now that I've applied..." As soon as notifications come out, I'll probably tell everyone I see about it haha

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 1:37 AM, OX_CS said:

Had my interview yesterday and now just need to wait for a final decision by the first couple of weeks of January. Even more anxious now :S .

Hi, 

How it went? 
I applied for Jan deadline, and I had received an email that my application is ready for assessment, but I still have not received any assessment questions, I am worried, can you share with me the interview questions.  Let  me know when you hear from them, I hope you get in. 

I received the admissions questions a couple of days after I submitted, if I remember correctly. In hindsight, if I had known I would have tried to time it better as they weren't easy to complete on two working days of 9-7! Luckily I work in an AI research center so just 'pretended' to do work and got on with the questions at my desk instead :P .

In other news, today is the final working day of the first 2 weeks of January, so I expect november deadliners should be hearing back today! That's assuming they're able to sort everything out in the rough timeframe they offered, otherwise hopefully next week. Living in a different timezone definitely doesn't help though. I just want the wait to be over; rejection or offer!

Looks like I've been pushed into January deadline which means another 2 months or so to wait for a response. Now not sure what to do as my backup choice will need a response well before then. 

On 1/16/2017 at 5:11 AM, OX_CS said:

Looks like I've been pushed into January deadline which means another 2 months or so to wait for a response. Now not sure what to do as my backup choice will need a response well before then. 

Ops, Sorry to hear that. I still have not received the questions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see how things are going. I have applied for a DPhil with the Department of Social Policy & Intervention on November 18 but received an email in January that my application was pushed to the Jan deadline. I finished my MSc in the same Department in 2015-16 and know my supervisors pretty well. Experiencing lots of anxiety and checking my email a lot but I don't think I can hope to hear back before March. Anyone applying to the same course/same department? 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, plankton890 said:

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see how things are going. I have applied for a DPhil with the Department of Social Policy & Intervention on November 18 but received an email in January that my application was pushed to the Jan deadline. I finished my MSc in the same Department in 2015-16 and know my supervisors pretty well. Experiencing lots of anxiety and checking my email a lot but I don't think I can hope to hear back before March. Anyone applying to the same course/same department? 

I have applied to DPhil Social Policy by the same deadline. I have not heard anything yet. Fingers crossed!

Delay in response from them also limits my time to prepare for external scholarships, in case I am accepted.

11 hours ago, PermanentStudent said:

I still haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed for this week! 

Oxford doesn't admit owls from California, so I wouldn't get my hopes up! ;) 

Jokes aside, I think you should be admitted soon. Hang in there!

Edited by Boabdil

19 hours ago, Boabdil said:

Oxford doesn't admit owls from California, so I wouldn't get my hopes up! ;) 

Jokes aside, I think you should be admitted soon. Hang in there!

Luckily for me, I'm a potoo! Maybe they have more luck than owls ;) :D

Thank you! I've emailed my course administrator, and she said I'll hopefully know their answer by the end of this week!