Oxford applicants

Kleene

On 3/6/2017 at 6:17 PM, Scheacc said:

I have applied to DPhil Social Policy by the same deadline. I have not heard anything yet. Fingers crossed!

Delay in response from them also limits my time to prepare for external scholarships, in case I am accepted.

Oooooh I have applied for the DPhil Social Intervention. I haven't heard anything either :( It's driving me a bit crazy at this point because I submitted my app in November and then got pushed to the January deadline. My supervisor said the panel is meeting this week and I think we should know latest by next week.

4 hours ago, PermanentStudent said:

Luckily for me, I'm a potoo! Maybe they have more luck than owls ;) :D

Thank you! I've emailed my course administrator, and she said I'll hopefully know their answer by the end of this week! 

Lol, okay! That was quite silly of me. I guess I need to know my birds. 

Anyway, that is great to hear! I hope you get admitted. 

Applied for the 20th Jan deadline for DPhil in Socio-Legal Studies. They normally interview shortlisted candidates in late February. However, I still haven't heard anything. So I'm taking that as implied rejection. However, we are at the end of week 7 of the week 8-10 notification period. So hopefully the answer is forthcoming soon. My understanding though is that the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies and the Law Faculty in general for grads tend to notify towards the end of March (around the 20th-ish). Socio-Legal Studies DPhil usually only takes 3 candidates a year, they only filled two places last year, so the standard is pretty high. Anyone else applied for this or any other Law Grad programme and still waiting?

I sent my application for the MPhil in Chinese Studies last week (March deadline). It's already been forwarded to the department. I have an "Upper second class" BA degree (amounts to a 3.5 GPA) in Politics with some work experience in an Asian NGO. 

I've found two silly typos in my cv as I did not care too much about it. (Translated it from my native language and left one word in it). I just hope that they don't give too much of a fudge about it.

On 3/12/2017 at 6:20 PM, PermanentStudent said:

Thanks! My GPA was 3.77.

Nice, mine is 3.92, but I've not heard back yet. I applied to the Late Antique and Byzantine Studies program (MSt). Hopefully I hear back soon. I love Oxford and would love to attend. 

6 hours ago, DonnaTrump said:

I sent my application for the MPhil in Chinese Studies last week (March deadline). It's already been forwarded to the department. I have an "Upper second class" BA degree (amounts to a 3.5 GPA) in Politics with some work experience in an Asian NGO. 

I've found two silly typos in my cv as I did not care too much about it. (Translated it from my native language and left one word in it). I just hope that they don't give too much of a fudge about it.

You should be fine. Although, Oxford is very competitive, and you might be waitlisted. A rejection is also possible, but unlikely as long as you had excellent letters of recommendation and writing samples. I don't think they would care much about the mistakes, but they may think that you are not very professional. Good luck! 

Edited by Boabdil

7 hours ago, DonnaTrump said:

As someone who has an acceptance from the department of Area Studies (which is partially involved with your course), I can assure you that typos will not be a factor in being potentially rejected. My CV was utter and complete trash, and I had to rely solely on my academic merit and a very strong letter from a professor who was a Rhodes Scholar many years ago.

9 hours ago, Seth101793 said:

As someone who has an acceptance from the department of Area Studies (which is partially involved with your course), I can assure you that typos will not be a factor in being potentially rejected. My CV was utter and complete trash, and I had to rely solely on my academic merit and a very strong letter from a professor who was a Rhodes Scholar many years ago.

Thank you for your reassuring words. My thinking was similar: The CV is probably the least important part, so why give a fudge. Thus, I rushed it.

With respect to the references, they are my second concern. I have two references from very well respected professors here in Germany who put a lot of effort in it. However, I could not find a third referee at my uni in time, thus I had to rely on a professional reference. My supervisor at a former 4-month internship sent the reference only a couple of hours after my request, so I'm a little bit worried that it is not very strong. Yet, the other two references, which are academic, should be very strong, so I hope for them to overlook the third one.

I also believe that my personal statement is outstanding, as my research interests clearly align with what two professors of are doing at the moment. I also hold the most competitive scholarship of my country, although I have "only" achieved an upper second class (in our grade system actually 0,01% shy of a first...). 

As you can see, lots of Ups and Downs that make the wait somewhat of a torture :D

On 3/7/2017 at 11:01 PM, plankton890 said:

Oooooh I have applied for the DPhil Social Intervention. I haven't heard anything either :( It's driving me a bit crazy at this point because I submitted my app in November and then got pushed to the January deadline. My supervisor said the panel is meeting this week and I think we should know latest by next week.

Hey same here! I have applied for the same program by the January deadline and haven't heard anything... I emailed the admission office and asked them about the interview timeline for shortlisted candidates on Feb 10th and the person said that they couldn't guarantee the timings at that moment. Did your supervisor talk about anything about the interview process? It seems like the interview is required on the department website but I am kind of confused as people also say sometimes it is not if your supervisor has already know you...

9 minutes ago, louasdf123 said:

Hey same here! I have applied for the same program by the January deadline and haven't heard anything... I emailed the admission office and asked them about the interview timeline for shortlisted candidates on Feb 10th and the person said that they couldn't guarantee the timings at that moment. Did your supervisor talk about anything about the interview process? It seems like the interview is required on the department website but I am kind of confused as people also say sometimes it is not if your supervisor has already know you...

Yay, a fellow applicant! No, I haven't heard back anything about the interview either. From what I have heard, interviews are not always held -- some candidates get offers without an interview as well. I figure that we will get to know the results by March end anyway, and they can't delay much more than that! So I am just trying to let it go and not think about it too much.

4 minutes ago, plankton890 said:

Yay, a fellow applicant! No, I haven't heard back anything about the interview either. From what I have heard, interviews are not always held -- some candidates get offers without an interview as well. I figure that we will get to know the results by March end anyway, and they can't delay much more than that! So I am just trying to let it go and not think about it too much.

Good to know! Yeah it is said that we can expect the results come around 8-10 weeks after the deadline, which is coming soon! Hope we can get the results by the end of this month...Anyway fingers crossed! No news is good news lol

41 minutes ago, louasdf123 said:

Good to know! Yeah it is said that we can expect the results come around 8-10 weeks after the deadline, which is coming soon! Hope we can get the results by the end of this month...Anyway fingers crossed! No news is good news lol

Yeah fingers crossed! Good luck with your application!

12 hours ago, DonnaTrump said:

Thank you for your reassuring words. My thinking was similar: The CV is probably the least important part, so why give a fudge. Thus, I rushed it.

With respect to the references, they are my second concern. I have two references from very well respected professors here in Germany who put a lot of effort in it. However, I could not find a third referee at my uni in time, thus I had to rely on a professional reference. My supervisor at a former 4-month internship sent the reference only a couple of hours after my request, so I'm a little bit worried that it is not very strong. Yet, the other two references, which are academic, should be very strong, so I hope for them to overlook the third one.

I also believe that my personal statement is outstanding, as my research interests clearly align with what two professors of are doing at the moment. I also hold the most competitive scholarship of my country, although I have "only" achieved an upper second class (in our grade system actually 0,01% shy of a first...). 

As you can see, lots of Ups and Downs that make the wait somewhat of a torture :D

Just to further ease your concerns, I was accepted with only two of my letters submitted, but I don't know if that's because my two letters were incredibly strong, or they respected my academic record enough to bypass the third letter requirement.

It sounds like you are a very impressive candidate overall, and I would imagine it's more likely you are offered a place versus being rejected, but the competitiveness of your program might also play a role as well. 

7 hours ago, plankton890 said:

Yeah fingers crossed! Good luck with your application!

Hey! I went back to the post and found that you did your master degree in the department, so I am wondering did you hear from people who also hold their master degree in the department (and applied for the program as well) say that the interviews are not required since the faculty has already known them? Or did you get this info from successful applicants from other universities? I got a chance to email two DPhill students who both finished their master degrees at DSPI and they told me they were not asked to have the interview since the supervisor had already known them...I am a bit worry about this since I am not holding a master from the department and don't know if it has to do with the interview process...

On 3/6/2017 at 7:47 AM, Scheacc said:

I have applied to DPhil Social Policy by the same deadline. I have not heard anything yet. Fingers crossed!

Delay in response from them also limits my time to prepare for external scholarships, in case I am accepted.

Hi there! I applied for the DPhil Social Intervention and still haven't heard anything back yet. Would you mind sharing if you have your master degree from DSPI? From what I know is that applicants who hold their master degrees from the department might not be asked to go through the process so I am wondering what your background is... As I mentioned in the reply to @plankton890 , I do not have a master from the department and I'm not sure if the no response indicates a rejection letter or not...

2 hours ago, louasdf123 said:

Hey! I went back to the post and found that you did your master degree in the department, so I am wondering did you hear from people who also hold their master degree in the department (and applied for the program as well) say that the interviews are not required since the faculty has already known them? Or did you get this info from successful applicants from other universities? I got a chance to email two DPhill students who both finished their master degrees at DSPI and they told me they were not asked to have the interview since the supervisor had already known them...I am a bit worry about this since I am not holding a master from the department and don't know if it has to do with the interview process...

Hey! Yeah I do have an MSc from DSPI, and know my potential supervisors. I am not sure if that is why they have not reached out for an interview so far -- no idea! In answer to your question though, yes, I did speak to someone who did their MSc from DSPI as well, and they had no interview either. I don't think it necessarily relates to whether or not you did your MSc at DSPI, but whether you had contact with your potential supervisors before you submitted your application, and whether they were familiar with your topic/informally agreed to take you on...? That is just my take on it. 

1 hour ago, louasdf123 said:

Hi there! I applied for the DPhil Social Intervention and still haven't heard anything back yet. Would you mind sharing if you have your master degree from DSPI? From what I know is that applicants who hold their master degrees from the department might not be asked to go through the process so I am wondering what your background is... As I mentioned in the reply to @plankton890 , I do not have a master from the department and I'm not sure if the no response indicates a rejection letter or not...

No, I don't have.

3 minutes ago, plankton890 said:

Hey! Yeah I do have an MSc from DSPI, and know my potential supervisors. I am not sure if that is why they have not reached out for an interview so far -- no idea! In answer to your question though, yes, I did speak to someone who did their MSc from DSPI as well, and they had no interview either. I don't think it necessarily relates to whether or not you did your MSc at DSPI, but whether you had contact with your potential supervisors before you submitted your application, and whether they were familiar with your topic/informally agreed to take you on...? That is just my take on it. 

Hey friend thanks so much for replying! I did e-mail a potential supervisor before submitting the application and she said I can list her as the secondary supervisor as she is not a permanent staff at DSPI....Anyways hopefully the result will come out soon! I am so done with the wait haha!

2 minutes ago, louasdf123 said:

Hey friend thanks so much for replying! I did e-mail a potential supervisor before submitting the application and she said I can list her as the secondary supervisor as she is not a permanent staff at DSPI....Anyways hopefully the result will come out soon! I am so done with the wait haha!

Oh great! It should be okay then. Me too -- I just want to know, one way or another!

15 minutes ago, Scheacc said:

No, I don't have.

I see! Maybe they changed their admission policy this year lol...anyways thanks for replying and good luck with your application!