Still Waiting? What is Your Top Choice?(Fall 2015)

Hi kingthearab,

Did you get the mail from Harris at University of Chicago about the decision or some other school in Chicago?

I applied to their Middle Eastern Studies program which is part of their social sciences and humanities division. I did not get accepted, most likely because their program is geared towards academia and I wanted to work right after graduate school. I only applied there because I live in Chicago.

Edited by kingthearab

I only applied to Harvard MPA.  I am now wondering if I should have applied to the MPP since I really want to go there.  I am already enrolled at a partner business school so we are basically told to do the MPA instead of the MPP.  And I definitelly want/need the flexibility of the MPA since I would only have 3 semesters there.  It seems like the MPA program is much smaller and that it is mainly comprised of students from Wharton/Stanford/Sloan/Tuck, with just a handful of non-business school students who choose to do the MPA over the MPP because they have some other Masters degree already.

Hi Paradox28 - seems to me that you got the right kind of advice.  The only joint MPP program at Harvard is with HBS, and both HKS and HBS do their admissions separately.  If you're already in a program at one of our partner schools, the MPA2 program *is* for you - and you'll have plenty of flexibility in terms of the courses you take.  Our target enrollment for the incoming class is in the mid-70s, while the target enrollment for the MPP program is about 200, so, yes, the MPP program is a lot bigger - but also easier to get "lost" in the crowd.  We expect our MPA2 students to bring in a lot of experience and insight from their "other" master's programs (including Med School, Design schools, and so on) - while the MPP program is more focused on basic policy and economic skills.  Anyway, you'll hear from Matt's team in Admissions this week, probably on Thursday (the 12th), but maybe even earlier.  If the decision isn't what you wanted to hear... email me on my Harvard account, and we can talk about how your file was viewed. For more general stuff, be sure to look through Matt's "admissions blog" at the Kennedy School.

UW - admitted w funding

Mich - admitted no funding

IU SPEA - admitted w funding

U of Maryland - admitted w funding

Berkeley - waitlist

UT -??

I live in Austin and I would like to stay here. If I don't stay in ATX I'll be at SPEA pursuing a different life. One that might take me to austin or it might not. I got some funding at SPEA but not enough to make it cheaper than UT. Both are phenomenal options for my goals, but I need to hear from UT!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

But my accepted student's day experience with them was awful. Really quite a shame because it started as my top choice, but every interaction I had with the school turned me away.

Would you mind elaborating on exactly what was so bad about their accepted students day? Trying to decide between Elliott and others so I'd like to hear what went so poorly about that day when you went.

Would you mind elaborating on exactly what was so bad about their accepted students day? Trying to decide between Elliott and others so I'd like to hear what went so poorly about that day when you went.

That was only my experience, on that particular year, so take it with a grain of salt. This year's accepted students day might be completely different. The impressions I got from my particular day aren't universal, and doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad program or anything.

But in any case, I went to the accepted student's day, and it just left me with the impression that it was a somewhat fluff program. At the open house, the only thing the Dean really talked about GW's location. Really kept harping on being across the street from the World Bank, but without really mentioning if students are ever able to obtain work there or articulating how it enriched life at GW. He seemed surly and uninvested, to be honest. He also went on to list types of people he thought wouldn't do well there, such as people who may want to get a phd, or people who aren't ready for a "serious commitment". It was pretty patronizing.

The whole atmosphere was very uncomfortable and awkward. Some people brought their parents. It seemed a mix of kids fresh from undergrad and 40-somethings looking to get a mid-career masters. There were some panels from admissions, academic advising, career center and I believe someone from student affairs. The career center person seemed clueless. The person from student affairs was actually a recent GW Elliott alum, who started working at GW. She joked how she used what she learned from a negotiation/conflict management class to negotiate with her landlord.

So I don't know, it just struck me as being a bit of a cash cow program. They didn't seem particularly invested in their students, or in actively trying to demonstrate why they would be the program for me. Now like I said, this is only my impression based off of a single day there. Many people go there and do well, and I'm sure get exactly what they're looking for out of it. I just happened to be looking for something different. Other people that year said that they had been left underwhelmed by the accepted students day, but I wouldn't necessarily judge the merits of a program based on my re-telling of an off-day for them.

That was only my experience, on that particular year, so take it with a grain of salt. This year's accepted students day might be completely different. The impressions I got from my particular day aren't universal, and doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad program or anything.

But in any case, I went to the accepted student's day, and it just left me with the impression that it was a somewhat fluff program. At the open house, the only thing the Dean really talked about GW's location. Really kept harping on being across the street from the World Bank, but without really mentioning if students are ever able to obtain work there or articulating how it enriched life at GW. He seemed surly and uninvested, to be honest. He also went on to list types of people he thought wouldn't do well there, such as people who may want to get a phd, or people who aren't ready for a "serious commitment". It was pretty patronizing.

The whole atmosphere was very uncomfortable and awkward. Some people brought their parents. It seemed a mix of kids fresh from undergrad and 40-somethings looking to get a mid-career masters. There were some panels from admissions, academic advising, career center and I believe someone from student affairs. The career center person seemed clueless. The person from student affairs was actually a recent GW Elliott alum, who started working at GW. She joked how she used what she learned from a negotiation/conflict management class to negotiate with her landlord.

So I don't know, it just struck me as being a bit of a cash cow program. They didn't seem particularly invested in their students, or in actively trying to demonstrate why they would be the program for me. Now like I said, this is only my impression based off of a single day there. Many people go there and do well, and I'm sure get exactly what they're looking for out of it. I just happened to be looking for something different. Other people that year said that they had been left underwhelmed by the accepted students day, but I wouldn't necessarily judge the merits of a program based on my re-telling of an off-day for them.

Wow. 

I still am far from decided, but basically, I haven't received much funding (aside from Fletcher).

I have got into Georgetown SFS, GWU Elliott, Fletcher, UCSD IR/PS (CA resident).  I really like Georgetown due to fit, class size, and prestige, but wanted to know if it is worth the extra money to go there (and gamble on getting TA/RAships and 2nd year funding/external funding)???

Also, any knowledge on how easy it is to get funding opportunities like TAships and 2nd year funding at these schools. 

I've seen a few smiliar posts like this throughout this section of the forum..esepcially in that former American versus GWU thread that was made not too long ago. I recalled reading how some felt that GWU was unwelcoming at first compared to American. I can't speak too much on this, but I have received personal calls (head of the Global Security department at American) and a personal email (a professor from the International Security program at GWU) towards congratulating me on my admittance. Reasons like this are why I am taking a long and close look at American alongside GWU before making a final decision.

I

Edited by Guest

Still waiting to hear back from Heinz and Columbia SIPA -ESP waitlisted me. However with how expensive Columbia is (72K+ for just tuition for 1 year), it's quickly dropping to the bottom of the stack. 

Got into Georgetown, UW Evans, and Michigan Ford. UW used to be my top choice due to that's currently where I'm working/living, and not having to move is a good draw. But UW is the only school that didn't give me funding, where as Georgetown and Michigan both gave me substantial fellowship money. Also the lack of opportunities internationally and DC wise for students from Evans is also a little alarming.  

However I might still go to Heinz if I get accepted to their Global track. Spending a year in Australia is a wonderful experience and I would not want to pass that up.