UCSD 2015

SocInTheCity

I just got my SHORE offer, it's also a shared South Mesa 2 bedroom. It was my third choice, and I was really hoping to be on the other side of the I5. The South Mesas are pretty big, but that seems to be the only perk for me. I don't see any grocery stores within walking distance on Google maps though - does anyone know if there are any? Or a shuttle or bus to grocery stores? I do not drive.

They emailed me about 3 minutes before they called me, which was at about 3pm PST.

edit: Any current/former UCSD students know anything about the on campus markets? Google identifies a few places on campus such as Roger's Place and Market (by Revelle), Sunshine Market (in Price Centre), Sixth College Place and Market (by Sixth College, as you'd expect). Are these places you could do all your grocery shopping, assuming you cook all your own meals at home? Or are they more like premade sandwiches and snack food type places?

Edited by MathCat

I just got my SHORE offer, it's also a shared South Mesa 2 bedroom. It was my third choice, and I was really hoping to be on the other side of the I5. The South Mesas are pretty big, but that seems to be the only perk for me. I don't see any grocery stores within walking distance on Google maps though - does anyone know if there are any? Or a shuttle or bus to grocery stores? I do not drive.

They emailed me about 3 minutes before they called me, which was at about 3pm PST.

edit: Any current/former UCSD students know anything about the on campus markets? Google identifies a few places on campus such as Roger's Place and Market (by Revelle), Sunshine Market (in Price Centre), Sixth College Place and Market (by Sixth College, as you'd expect). Are these places you could do all your grocery shopping, assuming you cook all your own meals at home? Or are they more like premade sandwiches and snack food type places?

I guess it depends what you consider walking distance, but I would say that Mesa is close enough to the Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Ralphs on Villa La Jolla Drive. I'd say it's about a 20 or 30 minute walk.

The number and composition of courses you should take is going to depend a lot on your program, teaching load, other commitments, etc.. It's probably best to talk to people in your department about that. I know that what was recommended to me is different from what people are saying here (taking 3 core classes would be a LOT in my program).

I didn't know course registration was open already! Did your department tell you it's time to register or something? I don't even know how...

The LAS coordinator sent an email about registration being open about 3 days after I first logged in and registered for classes. That was weeks ago now, most of the classes I wanted filled already. Maybe you will have more luck than I did for courses.

I guess it depends what you consider walking distance, but I would say that Mesa is close enough to the Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Ralphs on Villa La Jolla Drive. I'd say it's about a 20 or 30 minute walk.

30 minutes walking home with groceries is more than I'd like, but looks like there's no better option. At least, Google doesn't know of any good bus routes either.

The LAS coordinator sent an email about registration being open about 3 days after I first logged in and registered for classes. That was weeks ago now, most of the classes I wanted filled already. Maybe you will have more luck than I did for courses.

Math is one of the programs that requires advisor approval to register, so I guess I'm in a special boat. I don't even have the advisor that approves courses assigned to me yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told I could register for a course that will be really taken 2 weeks prior to the official fall start (Math for engineers). While registering it, I noticed I could register other courses, so wrote to my advisor and he made his recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of thrift or discount stores near UCSD? I've been googling, but all I've been able to find is the resale shop on campus, a Goodwill in La Jolla village (kind of far, since I won't be driving), and the consignment store at UTC.

I'm moving soon and am hoping to find some places to buy inexpensive stuff for my unfurnished apartment.

Does anyone know of thrift or discount stores near UCSD? I've been googling, but all I've been able to find is the resale shop on campus, a Goodwill in La Jolla village (kind of far, since I won't be driving), and the consignment store at UTC.

I'm moving soon and am hoping to find some places to buy inexpensive stuff for my unfurnished apartment.

There are some good discount/resale shops in Pacific Beach. There is also a Big Lots in Clairemont.The Goodwill in La Jolla doesn't sell furniture, just clothes (it's a very small Goodwill). The resale shop on campus also sells mostly clothes, dishware, trinkets, etc. Craigslist is your best bet.